rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

There is absolutely no way or reason he should come back.

Who would you have replace Rodgers, if not him? Don't say you wouldn't replace Rodgers. I'm not asking if you would.

Who would you have replace Rodgers, if not him? Don't say you wouldn't replace Rodgers. I'm not asking if you would.

It's not about wouldn't, it's about there being fuck all replacements. Who are you going to go for, Simeone? Why would he come? Klopp is doing even worse now and Dortmund back him to the hilt. The ship sailed years ago on Pellegrini so you're let with taking another punt on someone without top experience or you're going for a "name" like Capello or Ranieri who are either irrelevant or have done fuck all.

Or are we going to pretend Laudrup never had a mega slump?

We need a new defensive coach because whoever we have now is useless

We don't have a defensive coach, that's one of the problems!

We need a striker and keeper ASAP!

One of the main problems in my opinion from the Rodgers era and previous to that is at a higher level within the club. That's the inability to sign what appear to be the first choice players the club targets, more often or not losing out to rival premier league sides. There's only so many times you'll get lucky signing the second, third or fourth choice guy.

It's not about wouldn't, it's about there being fuck all replacements. Who are you going to go for, Simeone? Why would he come? Klopp is doing even worse now and Dortmund back him to the hilt. The ship sailed years ago on Pellegrini so you're let with taking another punt on someone without top experience or you're going for a "name" like Capello or Ranieri who are either irrelevant or have done fuck all.

Or are we going to pretend Laudrup never had a mega slump?

I agree with all of this. But I don't get how it strengthens your argument about Rafa.

One of the main problems in my opinion from the Rodgers era and previous to that is at a higher level within the club. That's the inability to sign what appear to be the first choice players the club targets, more often or not losing out to rival premier league sides. There's only so many times you'll get lucky signing the second, third or fourth choice guy.

The biggest thing holding the team back currently is the complete lack of defensive organisation. Look at the state of them for the first goal yesterday. There is simply too much space conceded in midfield, and there's too much space between the backline and the forwards. As long as he is unable to organise them, and places no value whatsoever on being compact, it won't matter who he picks.

Is this not a forum? Shouldn't we discuss stuff and write our opinions down to contribute?

Or how about we all just post a couple lines of sarcastic comment because that helps with discussion, doesn't it?

2euscw8.jpg

Besiktas in the Europa League. I don't think the distraction of Europe is going to be a problem for much longer.

Should be good games. Once we have a defensive coach, our new strike force and a new keeper in place, we'll win the whole thing easily!!

Hmmmmm.

I agree with all of this. But I don't get how it strengthens your argument about Rafa.

Because straight off the bat half the fans hate him. Then there's the fact the entire squad wouldn't suit his style and he's going to display exactly the same characteristics as Rodgers: single minded, trying to be smart with tactics, rotation and signings and focusing on one major aspect of play. There's simply no point in looking back. We got a manager to grow into the job, let him grow into it.

• Upvote 4

I'm surprised by the reaction in this thread. Rodgers has been far too stubborn this season, repeatedly trying the same thing that doesn't work. Yesterday he dropped several players, adapted his tactics and brought the high tempo pressing game back. We finally looked like a team with a bit of pace that would at least carve out chances. Yes, we lost but even in defeat that was better than some of the turgid shit they've churned out recently.

It felt like we had finally learnt from mistakes and could now move forward, albeit slowly, until that crucial transfer window opens. We need a keeper and forward otherwise we are screwed.

I don't want Benitez back, I want Rodgers to be a success.

Another manager, another 5 year plan, can anyone really be bothered?

• Upvote 2

My Dad is the worst. Lifelong Liverpool fan, which in turn was passed to me like some cursed chalice that makes my childhood seem even more awesome than it was cos we won like everything ever in the 80's. We watched the Man U game on Sunday and he was ranting and raving about how Rodgers had to go. Six months ago he was worshiping the guy. He would have kissed his bare sweaty toes. Now he's done apparently.

Even my batshit crazy old man didn't mention Benitez though. Fuck me guys...

Surely Rodgers deserves more time? He did get you second last season. It's not like he got you 7th again and no sign of improvement.

The problem is he's basically made the same mistake Spurs made. And now he's got so many players to choose from that he doesn't know his best team. Last season it was the exact opposite. Every game it would be the same team and you would make a fast start. You would kill games off around the 60th minute mark.

Something Chelsea are doing this season and they pretty much play the same side.

Whoever chooses the transfer targets, I've heard its a commitee and not just Rodgers himself have made massive mistakes. You had champions league football, so surely you could find a better striker than Lambert and Balotelli to attract? Scrapping the Remy deal looks like a bigger mistake now. And Bony would have been a decent signing too.

I know much has been made about the defence. And they not exactly great. But when you can't score it's going to put even more pressure on them.

You should also ring Jose and offer him £25m for Cech. It also depends on your board now. After signing three strikers, if they going to give him more money for another one. I don't know why you signed Lambert as he goes against everything you did last season. And if you wanted to play route 1 for the last 5 minutes then you were better off sending Skrtel forward. The less said about Balotelli the better.

The squad needed improving, as bar the first eleven it was very slim on quality. I'd argue the issue is that the quality of the signings wasn't good enough. Too many "squad" players and not enough they should be first team certainties.

Losing Suarez was always going to hurt the team. I personally think talk of sacking Rodgers is mental. You just end up with another clear out, buy in situation. I understand the comments on the sides defensive issues, but I still think the real problems run deeper than just the manager at the club. Lost out on too many signing targets and then over spent on second or third choice options.

I know the club is trying to do a sign them young and build it up type senario, but while that may work in baseball I'm not sure it'll cut it in football. Players have control here and if your not winning things and other clubs are players who get good will be off.

The problem is he's basically made the same mistake Spurs made.

That's made massively worse by the fact he seemed to spend most of the summer saying "Don't worry, we're not doing what Spurs did". To be so massively aware of it and then do it anyway is even worse.

To be fair losing Sturridge was a huge blow but gambling on his cheesestring thighs to last a season was folly.

The people ranting about Rodgers are fucking morons and it's sadly quite the majority. There are genuinely people saying they always knew he was a fraud.

The squad needed improving, as bar the first eleven it was very slim on quality. I'd argue the issue is that the quality of the signings wasn't good enough. Too many "squad" players and not enough they should be first team certainties.

Losing Suarez was always going to hurt the team. I personally think talk of sacking Rodgers is mental. You just end up with another clear out, buy in situation. I understand the comments on the sides defensive issues, but I still think the real problems run deeper than just the manager at the club. Lost out on too many signing targets and then over spent on second or third choice options.

I know the club is trying to do a sign them young and build it up type senario, but while that may work in baseball I'm not sure it'll cut it in football. Players have control here and if your not winning things and other clubs are players who get good will be off.

I think the only managers who had the luxury of signing players and building them up in the past 5 years have been Ferguson and Wenger. Both really seen as untouchable. Yes, I still think Wenger is untouchable despite recent criticism. Only way hes leaving Arsenal is when he says he is off.

Every other manager needs to plan for the present. As you seen with Rodgers some fans are fickle. Six months ago he was a genius and one of the best young managers in football. Now he's shit and Suarez did all the work apparently.

Suarez was at Liverpool before Rodgers arrived and you were still struggling.

There can only be two reasons why signings haven't come off in recent years. The first is the club just aren't attractive to big name foreign stars and the second is a lack of ability in the back room to make the deals.

At times during the summer Liverpool were linked heavily with a lot of strikers and then right at the end they had to plump with Balotelli, I reckon you could argue 2/3's of the rumours were bullshit but that still leaves enough to not need a desperate lunge at the last minute.

Or the master plan was to make Milan wait till the end of the window so they could extract him for less than asking.......

Either way the season is a write off and a proper striker who can score, is mobile and works his nuts off is a must. With the way the club likes to spend I dont think an established star is what they'll plump for. Which basically means we're back to watching a team fight it out in mid table.

The people ranting about Rodgers are fucking morons and it's sadly quite the majority. There are genuinely people saying they always knew he was a fraud.

If you say so. The fact that Rodgers has only now decided to do something about Mignolet is ridiculous and indicative of his inability to change things accordingly.

• Upvote 1

As you seen with Rodgers some fans are fickle. Six months ago he was a genius and one of the best young managers in football. Now he's shit and Suarez did all the work apparently.

Suarez was at Liverpool before Rodgers arrived and you were still struggling.

There's a lot of revisionism that goes on with football fans, and this type of comment is getting thrown around a lot. I don't think anybody ever hailed Rodgers as anything other than a promising manager who was getting his key decisions right last year in conjunction with the team working in perfect harmony. The way Suarez and Sturridge set the tempo for the whole team was a massive part of that.

Rodgers shouldn't be sacked, and it's disappointing that too many fans are demanding it. That said, in his tenure so far he's overseen our worst starts in 2 of his 3 seasons for many, many years (today's stat is it's now our worst start for 50 years if everything is based on 3 points for a win.) It's clear something is failing in the transfer policy and we know that Fenway like to buy young players that can be developed and retain value, but that is hard to do when the squad lacks quality.

Playing Sterling up front on Sunday - whose shooting ability is generally not great - is tantamount to saying that our strikers are all pointless. What message does that give them? Again, it points to a bad transfer policy, one that hasn't adequately built on the position we found ourselves last season.

Rodgers' most important transfer window coming up?

• Upvote 1

To be fair, weren't a lot of you guys really excited when Ballotelli was announced? Especially for what was then a low fee of £16mil. I don't think anyone was quite expecting him to have turned out like he has?

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of people were trying to look on the positive side of an 11-hour striker signing - just like with Andy Carroll, really. Hope over expectation.

Besiktas in the Europa League. I don't think the distraction of Europe is going to be a problem for much longer.

I hope we give it a good go. For starters its a trophy, its probably our only route back into the Champion's League and finally it offers us the chance to claw some kudos on the European stage after we royally fucked up. Of course our form will have to change dramatically to achieve this.

Anyway knee jerk reactions fans can fuck off. Too many are short sighted and lack patience. Things are shit at the moment but I have faith in Rodgers, he deserves this season at the very least, myself I'd give him two seasons. He did a damn good job last season and was a Gerrard slip away from giving us the title. Suarez wasn't the only reason we did well last season, Suarez was awesome the season before then and we came 7th still. The loss of Sturridge as well and Suarez has been a huge blow. Getting another top attacker in after Suarez should have been a priority,instead the club put too much faith in Sturridge staying fit for a season and then panic bought Balo when it they saw that wasn't happening.

Anyway January is going to be a big window, we need one as successful as that which brought in Sturridge and Coutinho. A new keeper and striker is a must.

I still believe in Mario Balotelli... Though not as a starting or main striker.

Who can we feasibly get in January, who is a proven goal scorer in the league? Reckon we'll just end up paying way over the odds for someone like Berahino or Danny Ings.

Or activating a secret buy back clause on Andy Carroll.

There's so much I want to quote and dissect but I know it's just going to turn the thread into a slanging match so I'm going to refrain from doing so. This is starting to feel like the old days in here, so that's one positive, I guess. Keep it clean, though. Don't be calling each other names just because you don't share an opinion.

Listen, I want Rodgers to succeed. I just don't believe he will - and not because he won't be given enough time. I'd say he's had enough time to show he is capable of organising a defence. The thinking was he needed to buy new defenders as the ones he had weren't good enough. Now he's spent heavily on defenders and they look shite, too. I would argue that the reason for this is they are not properly organised and are left massively exposed because the team isn't organised. He doesn't value space - if he did he would have addressed the fact that the midfield is happy to concede space to the opposition; and he'd address the huge, gaping chasm between each line. I would also question the positivity about the 'new' way he set the team up on Sunday. He changed the personnel - he didn't change the system. I touched on this last season (at first out of frustration): The actual shape is almost identical whether or not we play 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. What he did yesterday was nothing new, and I do not agree with the assertion that creating chances equates to a good performance; not when we defend like that. And we defend like that in every single game. Go and look at Arsenal away last season and tell me what was different about that compared to Sunday.

I would like to ask the people saying he deserves time to let me know when it's OK to start debating about whether or not this deserved grace period has run out. For the record: I really like his personality - it seems I'm in the minority on that. I find him to be charismatic, and I love that he is so eager to talk tactics, etc. I would love for him to succeed at the job and I'm not calling for his head. I think he should get the rest of this season to sort this mess out. But if we finish the season performing as we are now, I would absolutely welcome his departure. Sorry if that comes across as me being knee-jerk, entitled or whatever. I just see so many things wrong with way the team plays - and I see the same repeated mistakes every game, and this is going back to his first season.