PS3 Firmware 4.45 bricking consoles - DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE

nfx

For those using auto-update for PS+: auto-update only downloads the firmware. You always need to manually apply the download as new firmware can sometimes remove functionality (e.g. the Linux support removal) which needs user approval.

Apparently, Sony has put an older version of the firmware back instead, but haven't read a confirmation of that yet.

Well I used mine this morning for a quick spot of Last of Us before work. Does that 'here's what I did during the night' screen include details of FW updates? Cos mine didn't mention it.

This happened with the 360 too a few years back.

Yeah nxe fucked alot of consoles, it happens nearly every console firmware update. Ive flicked through the gaf thread and i get the feeling its not widespread infact i dont think ive read one person saying its been bricked, i only flicked through it though.

Well I used mine this morning for a quick spot of Last of Us before work. Does that 'here's what I did during the night' screen include details of FW updates? Cos mine didn't mention it.

Considering the UK timezone and the short amount of time it took for Sony to pull the update, it's likely that the time you set the PS3 to auto-update missed it altogether.

Doubt I'd have to check my machine, as I usually have everything switched off at the mains and the issue has blown over already in terms of initiating the update. Unfortunate that it's happened, but it's not like it has never happened before during this generation.

What I'm taking away from this thread is that there's a PS3 auto-update function that exists. I did not know that!

One of the functions of PS+, along with storing your saves remotely. Lets you download and install games from your queue, as well!

you should subscribe, it's FREE GAMES! imagine that!

I keep looking.

I've only got a 60GB hard disk installed in my original PS3 (yep - like a MS fanboy I paid >>£300 for it within six months of launch), and at the moment the only game on there that I've not played, and am interested in playing briefly, is Catherine (perhaps Kingdoms of Amalur, but I know I wouldn't get into it).

I own copies of Ico (twice now), Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted 3; don't care about The Cave; and am happy with Dark Souls if I want a get-punched-by-a-game moment.

I suspect my subscription will need to wait till my PS4 arrives: until that point, they're not "free games" (because I don't need any of the other services).

I'm no member of the MDF, but you have to admit it is kind of ironic that in the present pro-Sony climate, their biggest release of the year, The Last of Us, has a day one saving bug, fucking up loads of people and then they go and release a firmware update the bricks consoles. The last few weeks have been Sony in a nutshell this generation.

Yeah nxe fucked alot of consoles, it happens nearly every console firmware update. Ive flicked through the gaf thread and i get the feeling its not widespread infact i dont think ive read one person saying its been bricked, i only flicked through it though.

to be fair, didn't the bricked 360s turn out to be ones that had been "modded"?

I'm no member of the MDF, but you have to admit it is kind of ironic that in the present pro-Sony climate, their biggest release of the year, The Last of Us, has a day one saving bug, fucking up loads of people and then they go and release a firmware update the bricks consoles. The last few weeks have been Sony in a nutshell this generation.

but then they both got sorted within 24hrs, as opposed to:

"there's no problem with 360s overheating"

<internet explodes with rage, videos are posted>

<time passes>

"three year warranties for overheating 360s"

<time passes>

I'd be shocked if they were as rubbish as MS were, but have they actually fixed the PS3s that got foobarred?

Fuck off, footle.

Hey, it turns out that console fanboys are even more likely to run for the pos/neg button and basic abuse than Politics fanboys. Who knew?! :-)

<time passes>

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not having a go, I'm more shaking my head in "Oh you!" kinda way, and imagine Sony as the sheepish looking dog. I just find it amusing that it had to happen at the time when Sony's star is so high in the Gamer's sky.

everything is political.

also, telling someone to "fuck off" is not the same as calling them "a cunt"*

"fuck off, you cunt" is a whole different kettle of fish, obv.

* for the purposes of example, as opposed to substitution.

I still think it all pales into insignificance compared to the zealotry between the spacdrum and the c64 ...

This format war was better than all the other format wars.

Yes, I'm a format war zealot.

I keep looking.

I've only got a 60GB hard disk installed in my original PS3 (yep - like a MS fanboy I paid >>£300 for it within six months of launch), and at the moment the only game on there that I've not played, and am interested in playing briefly, is Catherine (perhaps Kingdoms of Amalur, but I know I wouldn't get into it).

I own copies of Ico (twice now), Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted 3; don't care about The Cave; and am happy with Dark Souls if I want a get-punched-by-a-game moment.

I suspect my subscription will need to wait till my PS4 arrives: until that point, they're not "free games" (because I don't need any of the other services).

Heh. I got negged for this which is:

1. An personal rationalisation of a reasonable decision based on personal circumstances.

2. A statement of fact - they're not "free games".

3. A mention that I've bought into the PS4 hype train, at least at a minor level.

Heh. I got negged for this which is:

1. An personal rationalisation of a reasonable decision based on personal circumstances.

2. A statement of fact - they're not "free games".

3. A mention that I've bought into the PS4 hype train, at least at a minor level.

You say it's a reasonable decision but surely over the entire course of PS+ (since you say you own a launch PS3) there's been games you want to play? I've not even been subbed for a year and I have ~30 games installed on my hard drive, most of which still cost £10+ if I wanted to buy them new. That's aside from the cloud saving (POWER OF THE CLOUD), auto updates, 10% discount on most things, plus a dozen or so vita games. It's such an obscene amount of value I can't see how the rational decision is not to sub.

I subbed in November (maybe the month before) and here's what I have so far for £30:

PS3:

Uncharted 3

Xcom: Enemy Unknown

LittleBigPlanet Karting

Limbo (Vita and PS3)

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Demon's Souls

ICO HD

Shadow of the Colossus HD

Thomas Was Alone (PS3 and Vita)

Catherine

Malicious

Hitman: Absolution

Okami HD

The Cave

Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Bulletstorm

Mass Effect 3

Quantum Conundrum

Sleeping Dogs

Vanquish

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

Bioshock 2

Batman: Arkham City

Mortal Kombat (PS3 and Vita)

Guardians of Middle-Earth

Infamous 2

LittleBigPlanet 2

Motorstorm Apocalypse

God of War HD

Dead or Alive 5

F1 Race Stars

Vita:

Velocity Ultra

Sine Mora

Virtue's Last Reward

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Lumines: Electronic Symphony

Jet Set Radio HD

Knytt Underground

Big Sky Infinity

Chronovolt

Pinball Arcade

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Rayman Origins

Wipeout 2048

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Gravity Rush

Super Stardust Portable (PSP?)

Lego Batman (PSP)

Plus I've probably saved at least £10 from the discounts.

For those using auto-update for PS+: auto-update only downloads the firmware. You always need to manually apply the download as new firmware can sometimes remove functionality (e.g. the Linux support removal) which needs user approval.

Apparently, Sony has put an older version of the firmware back instead, but haven't read a confirmation of that yet.

Ah cool. So to clarify, I assume if I boot up my PS3 and it says to install 4.45 firmware, say no for now?

Ah cool. So to clarify, I assume if I boot up my PS3 and it says to install 4.45 firmware, say no for now?

Yup, it'll give you a notification that there's a system update waiting for you, which you can start by selecting the appropriate XMB icon. Leave that for now and it should be OK. (PSN requires up to date firmware though, not sure how they solved that problem, so I guess PSN functions are down until they fix the update or lower the firmware requirement.)

Good luck with your PS4's

Good luck with our PS4's what?

You can't just leave us hanging like this, simms.

Booted the PS4, noticed it had automatically updated to 4.45, went to system info and it still shows 4.41... Nicely recovered Sony

Best update 'brick' ever, PS3 updated to PS4!