Football thread 2013/14 season

Naysonymous

John Flanagan!

I thought John Stones was a central defender. Didn't he come on at right back tonight?

Right back is definitely a problem for England. Isn't Phil Jones regarded as the next in line the 23?

Phil Jones is still recovering from injury, isn't he? Hope he doesn't make it and Flanagan gets his space. Though Stones might get it instead.

Doesn't Smalling allegedly play right back? Would still go with Flanno myself, but I'm slightly bias.

It's too early for Flanagan, he showed his inexperience in the last few games of the season, I feel.

Smalling is shite though. As I said, right back is definitely a problem, especially with Kyle walker injured.

I agree, what with Baines having played something like, oooh, zero times at right back in the last god knows how many years I'm sure he'd slot straight in to the other side of the defence against some of the best players in the world without batting an eyelid. Hang on, what the hell am I saying, I don't agree at all - you're an idiot.

If Flanagan can do it in the league, I'm sure Baines can. I don't see how it's particularly hard. Italy likely won't use proper wingers, Uruguay I dont know and Costa Rica are Costa Rica. So it's good for the group stage. Even if he played against Ronaldo, playing on the opposite side will help defend against him when he cuts inside.

And still, the options are play Johnson or either of two centre backs at right back. I'll take Baines every time.

I really hated that initial 11 last night, Rooney in the no10 position just doesn't work and Wellbeck just no composure and frequently lost in ball when he had an option on. If that's our starting team then yeah we'll struggle badly to get out of the group even.

The only player that did himself any justice was Henderson.

The lack of tempo is perfectly justifiable if you have players to play to that system, in other words players who don't give the ball away.

Sadly, as normal, when it comes to possession football English footballers are woefully lacking the required skills.

Rooney and Welbeck were both guilty of giving the ball away too often. Considering they were played in positions that demanded they create the chances for Sturridge I think it's fair to assumethe world cup Is going to be a struggle.

It was absolutely brilliant. Wish the video showed the full extent of the crowd's reaction. It was a minute long standing ovation.

Did anyone else see the guy standing up on his own in the wrong direction, screaming incomprehensible songs whilst gurning his face off for the entire second half? I can only assume someone had spiked his drink with copious amounts of class A drugs at half time. It was quite a sight.

I hope Roy fields a starting 11 without Rooney (or Welbeck) at least once. Something like:

------- Gerrard --- Henderson

-- Lallana --- Barkley --- Sterling

--------------- Sturridge

Other options: Lallana or Sterling in that Barkley spot with Milner or Oxlade wide.

I think where you play Henderson is a big question. If he plays alongside Gerrard, then we probably lose his ability to burst forward and support the attackers. I would personally like to see him play ahead of Gerrard and Wilshere. I think Rooney starts, probably on the left where you have Sterling, he is still the best player we have. This means Sterling and Barkley start on the bench, but I think their youth and limited international experience probably means they're best used as impact subs anyway.

I really hated that initial 11 last night, Rooney in the no10 position just doesn't work and Wellbeck just no composure and frequently lost in ball when he had an option on. If that's our starting team then yeah we'll struggle badly to get out of the group even.

I don't think we should be playing a forward in that position anyway. Against better team it'll be like playing with a man down. It's not like we have anyone with the quality to play a traditional playmaker role either though. Probably the best idea is to give the role to a willing runner, who can join in on the break, or move from a central position to create overloads. Any one of Sterling, Henderson, Barkley or Lallana could do this.

why does everyone want to drop Rooney? this weird question about his form has arisen while he's been injured, oddly enough! he played well in a really bad Man United team last season, and has been easily England's best player during the qualifiers. his form is actually pretty good. he scored 7 goals in the 6 qualifiers he played in, including important goals in both the matches against Poland. it's been a long time since he performed well for England in a tournament, but that doesn't mean he can't or won't do it this time. my only worry is that he's returning from injury, and he tends to take a while to get going after a lay-off. he's a player who needs to play every week or his fitness drops off. for this reason, he has to play in the rest of the qualifiers, and we should see how he looks at that point. if he's still laboring, perhaps we bring in Barkley, but the team will be poorer off than if we had a fit Rooney in there, for sure.

as for the Welbeck/Sterling question, that's a difficult one. Sterling is the better player, but Welbeck has experience, a good work ethic and understanding of his role in the team, and he's come good for England before. perhaps the thinking is to use Sterling as a second half substitute in the early matches, so that he's not thrown into the deep end of a World Cup too early, and he'll be able to make an impact against defenders tiring in the heat. i can get behind that plan, if indeed it is the plan.

England need Wilshere to stay fit and find form in the system, he's the key, he will dictate the tempo of the game, link the midfield to the forwards and allow Rooney to support Sturridge and play in a more advanced position, Lallana and Henderson don't have enough experience at the highest level, Jack is the man.

Arguably Gerrard is the only player on the plane who's had good form in a deep-lying role this season. I don't see Wilshere or anyone else for that matter replacing him if he gets injured. Barry or Carrick should be in the squad.

in the list of THINGS THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN how far down is the FA leaving FIFA? (not unilaterally that'd be mad, but with like the French, Spanish, Italians e.t.c. enough for FIFA to really shit itself)

It seemed to pick up a bit of steam a few years ago but I've heard nothing for ages. Do other FAs have the same thoughts or is the corruption endemic in FIFA more accepted by other FAs?

Stuff like that has happened in other sports hasn't it? Could someone show me where I can read about them while I idly fantasize about FIFA being pressured so much that in addition to agreeing to root and branch reform they also hold the 2022 World Cup in England?

Dortmund are signing Immobile for £15.5m! :omg::sealclap::D

* * EDIT * *

Fucksocks. It's Ciro Immobile from Torino. I only skim read the headline the first time and I naturally assumed they were signing Ciaran Clark from us. :angry:

Edited by Nayson