Football thread 2013/14 season

Naysonymous

So Malcom Glazer is dead.

http://news.sky.com/story/1270908/manchester-united-owner-malcolm-glazer-dies

Was that expected so... immanently?

He hasn't been seen since his stroke in 2006. He may have died today but I doubt he was alive anyway.

Wow! Wasn't this a game with loads of match-fixing stink before it even kicked off? People were talking about it at work earlier.

It was disallowed, I think.

Why did Matt Le Tissier never leave Southampton?

Because he was the 2nd coming of our Lord.

Except he could hit free kicks.

Lambert ro Liverpool? Looks likely.

They'll need a bigger quality squad for the Champions League but imagine this against someone like QPR at Anfield.

Sterling, Coutinho, Lambert, Saurez, Sturridge

It'd be about 12-0

Southampton losing their manager and probably half their side.... relegation candidates already.

England vs Peru today.

I personally don't think that would be a very good move for Lambert. He'll be going from Saints' talisman to sitting on the Liverpool bench. He'll make 20 appearances spread sporadically throughout the season. He's going for the Champions League but he won't be starting those games.

He is a life long liverpool fan who was released by them as a schoolboy and spent his whole career playing through the lower leagues never once transferring up a leage to get an opportunity to go back home. Thats not just a good move that's a film script

:lol:

Angel Di Maria: "It hurts when you’re always doing your best for your club and then you hear you might be going to Tottenham."

Also right, I thought all the Liverpool fans were on about signing two or three top quality players. And they've signed the hippo.

Lambert is going to bring goals and assists to the squad, him and his family are over the moon about this and honestly it's the best kind of deal for the club. Low risk, a player who comes from a team that plays a similar style but won't demand to play every week and complements the forwards already at the club. As a replacement for Aspas it's not even a contest.

How can he bring goals and assists from the bench? And who gives a toss about how happy his family is :lol:

"I don't want to put a figure on how many but I would rather have one or two absolute top players than seven that might not help us."

Liverpool are going to have a lot more games next season and after SAS there is no backup. It's not like he's going to somewhere like Chelsea who already have a massive squad, currently it's either Aspas or Borini if either first choice forward is injured.

How can he bring goals and assists from the bench? And who gives a toss about how happy his family is :lol:

"I don't want to put a figure on how many but I would rather have one or two absolute top players than seven that might not help us."

Because there are these things called substitutions, it was kind of our weak point last year. And if they're happy it means that he won't want to leave or kick up a stink.

He's costing us £4m and will cost us less in wages than Moses and Aspas.

Feel sorry for Southampton fans. The bigger clubs just snap their fingers, as if they are entitled to accumulate the best players.

Lambert is just the start of the exodus, I expect more will follow. They need to get a manager in quickly to if not stop the tide, at least use the funds to rebuild the squad.

It's going to be a mess, clearly since our owner died they are looking at ways to get out of funding the club, our Director of Football leaving was the start of the rot.

Always has been (and probably always will be) the case. We pick the players from the teams below us and the teams above us do the same to us.

Lambert is a bit different in that he's not in his prime and it's a move to his home club. He's been great for us and it'll be sad to see him go, but I'll still cheer him on for England this summer.

Shaw will probably go too, but hopefully for a lot of money.

I can't see that we'll sell Jay Rod, now that Lambert is going and I still hold out hope that Lallana can be retained.

We need to get a new manager in ASAP and start nailing down our squad, getting some decent additions in too won't be unwelcome.

Feel sorry for Southampton fans. The bigger clubs just snap their fingers, as if they are entitled to accumulate the best players.

It's a massive shame, I know we're probably going to benefit the most this summer but I really did like Southampton's attitude when they came up and they've got a great set up down there. The owner dying and their chairman leaving meant that once Pochettino resigned, it would be all change over there. At the very least they're going to get a fair wedge for their top players and are said to have some great youngsters coming through, so if they get a manager in who is willing to play them and stick around for a few seasons, they can all rebuild together.

Always has (and probably always will) been the case. We pick the players from the teams below us and the teams above us do the same to us.

Lambert is a bit different in that he's not in his prime and it's a move to his home club. He's been great for us and it'll be sad to see him go, but I'll still cheer him on for England this summer.

I can't see that we'll sell Jay Rod, now that Lambert is going and I still hold out hope that Lallana can be retained.

We need to get a new manager in ASAP and start nailing down our squad, getting some decent additions in too won't be unwelcome.

Who do you want to take the helm?

Oscar Garcia getting mentioned today in the press.

Laudrup and Mackay are also thought to be on Saints’ chairman Ralph Krueger’s short-list together with Lennon, Ronald Koeman, Murat Yakin, Steve McClaren, Gus Poyet and Rafael Benitez.

Always has been (and probably always will be) the case. We pick the players from the teams below us and the teams above us do the same to us.

Apparently our interest in Lambert came about during discussions with you over taking Lallana and Lovren.

Who do you want to take the helm?

Oscar Garcia getting mentioned today in the press.

Any young manager with a point to prove is fine by me. We've got to keep our attacking mindset where we play football and not punt and run.

Basically, not Sam Allardyce.

He is a life long liverpool fan who was released by them as a schoolboy and spent his whole career playing through the lower leagues never once transferring up a leage to get an opportunity to go back home. Thats not just a good move that's a film script

Weird film. It would presumably end with a shot of Lambert sitting glumly on the bench. Or maybe of his heavily-splintered arse, if it was a Seth Rogan film.