Football thread 2013/14 season

Naysonymous

Trouble? Not that I saw.

Although I did have to queue for 15 minutes to get in the tiny Club Wembley entrance while the turnstiles next to us were barely being used. Something up with that. Lovely padded seats and area below the stand though. They seem to have twice as many tables as they would ever need under there. Some weird design decisions in that place.

Looks like a done deal for Pochettino to spurs.

A shame, but hopefully we'll be able to maintain the progress made in seasons before and during his tenure.

A new manager may be able to make us a bit more rigid in defence too.. far too many drops points last season.

I've just heard that Spurs have started their search for their next manager, De Boer is believed to be interested but may be holding out for Barcelona.

Oh, and they've hired Pochettino. But he'll be gone in 18 months, tops.

Is Totti still playing? He must be rather elderly now.

Southampton look to be getting picked clean by the big clubs. I know it's inevitable but it's still quite sad to see (even though they unfairly replaced Adkins after he'd taken them up two leagues). I mostly feel sorry for their fans who waved twenty pound notes at us during a game where we were relegated and they were promoted after we'd had a points deduction due to admin. They showed pure class that day and deserve better.

I'd like to see Redknapp back at Southampton.

Jesus, no. :facepalm:

We're getting relegated next season aren't we?

They really need to sort out the ownership situation and whether they're actually going to continue to back us or not, I think we're going to become like Villa under Lerner now.

Jesus, no. :facepalm:

We're getting relegated next season aren't we?

They really need to sort out the ownership situation and whether they're actually going to continue to back us or not, I think we're going to become like Villa under Lerner now.

Have you ever been backed? Southampton have always been a selling club, and that includes Managers. FWIW i am pretty gutted for you. Southampton deserve some time in the sun with the way that club is run and the absolute production line of talent that they nuture and end up losing.

We've spent quite a lot the last couple of summers, just not well. Also annoying that we sacked two of our youth coaches recently, one of whom was Jason Dodd with over 400 games for the club.

That reminds me of those stats that kept being trotted out showing that Alistair Cook had scored more runs than Tendulkar at the same age. You only have to look at the two players to know which one is a better batsman. Similarly, while Lukaku is quality, he doesn't really belong in a list with Messi and Ronaldo.

I suspect he wasn't as motivated by money/honours as many other player are.

No other club/fans would accommodate his laziness

Other than United, Chelsea and Spurs who all tried to sign him. In fact Spurs did sign him, and Le Tisser pulled out of the deal because his fiancee didn't want to live in London

And wasn't Lukaku pretty much a first team player for Anderlecht (or whoever he played for before) when he was 16?

Yeah, he was banging them in the Belgian league while Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi both played as wide men for United and Barca for the majority of their formative years.

Robbie Fowler got 65 before he was 21 then another 18 league goals that year. Domenico Berardi is 19 years old and already has 27 league goals, 16 of those in Serie A. For Sassuolo. At that rate he'd also reach the 60 mark by 21.

Lukaku is talented but he's also a physical phenomenon and let's not pretend that somehow 33 goals in the Belgian league is on par with being a first team regular at United and Barcelona.

Yeah. And for me its one thing being a physical presence for teams like West Brom and even Everton. Is he the type of striker that will help Chelsea unlock defences (something they have struggled with)? Not sure. I'd be interested to see him given a go at Chelsea but I don't think he's the answer to their problems.

He certainly could be if he got a bit more awareness of what's going on around him, and started making the right decisions more often. He's got all the pace and power already, as well as a decent touch and good finishing. He just looks a bit dense sometimes, in a footballing sense.