rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Naysonymous

Football thread 2013/14 season

Borini, Aspas and Allen haven't come close to justifying the outlay. That's getting on for £30m right there, plus wages.

I've only seen Sakho fully a couple of times and he was pretty shite, same as he was whenever I saw him at PSG in the last couple of years, but you see him all the time so I'll take your word for it I guess. He did look promising a few years ago.

Borini & Aspas have been out a lot with injuries, you're probably right about Allen although he's looked good recently

Did you watch Sakho v Swansea & Man Utd away, he was shite then when he first came but he's been pretty good since, I think when you don't support a team you lose track, kind of like when I read the Arsenal thread and see people saying someone like Jenkinson is good and I'm thinking hang on isn't he supposed to be shite?

Well it's the same with Henderson, because of his first poor season everyone was still saying he was shit last year and again the start of this season. But last season and especially this one he's got a lot better. If all people are seeing of Liverpool is MOTD they don't see how far he's come unless he has a great game like he did against Spurs and it gets highlighted

On Rodgers' spending, I don't think the £12m and £7.5m spent on Borini and Aspas outweighs the great signing he's made elsewhere for not a lot of money. £12m for Sturridge and £10m for Coutinho. We could probably make double back on them both atm. Also Mingolet for only £10m is a great buy.

On a separate note I really hope the City and Liverpool fans do a massive Yaya vs Kolo chant on Thursday, it'll be amazing.

Apparently Seamus Coleman is trending on Twitter as a lot of people are fuming that he hasn't had an England call-up :lol:

I'd put Rodgers success rate with players bought for the here and now at around 50% ( the likes of Ilori, Alberto and Yesil are ones for the future as far as I'm concerned, well maybe not Yesil sadly). If Liverpool want to catch up to the likes of City and Chelsea though it needs to be much closer to 90% as those clubs can drop £20+ million on a player without batting an eyelid.

Sahin and Borini are the two standout black marks for me. Borini because he just doesn't seem up to it while Sahin was an awful waste of a talented player.

I've only seen Liverpool once in the flesh this season against West Ham and Sakho was fantastic. He was very very expensive but if he works out he could be first choice at the club for the next ten years which wouldn't be a bad bit of business.

Speaking of Liverpools defence, what about Skrtel (sp?) grabbing the Cardiff players big time at every corner and even round the chest/neck? Its not just him everybody is at it, but that was pretty bad. Its so infuriating to watch let alone play against, when you see soft as anything free kicks and pens given all the time how on Earth will the refs not call these fouls? "Oh they'll be 6 or 7 pens a game if they did" Yeah, so what? Some nice dives this week to especially by the Man United guy Janusai, i hope he stops that shit he doesnt need to dive.

Skrtel is a fucking liability and I have no idea how he's in the team.

How have he and Agger basically swapped places in terms of status? I thought Agger was generally regarded as one of the best CBs in the league, not to mention a good passer.

I'd put Rodgers success rate with players bought for the here and now at around 50% ( the likes of Ilori, Alberto and Yesil are ones for the future as far as I'm concerned, well maybe not Yesil sadly). If Liverpool want to catch up to the likes of City and Chelsea though it needs to be much closer to 90% as those clubs can drop £20+ million on a player without batting an eyelid.

Sahin and Borini are the two standout black marks for me. Borini because he just doesn't seem up to it while Sahin was an awful waste of a talented player.

I've only seen Liverpool once in the flesh this season against West Ham and Sakho was fantastic. He was very very expensive but if he works out he could be first choice at the club for the next ten years which wouldn't be a bad bit of business.

I don't think there's been anyone in the history of football who's had a 90% success rate in the transfer market.

Sahin didn't work out with us. Big deal, we got Coutinho instead and he's young and talented. Still learning but adjusted quicker than Sahin. Sakho is fucking boss and guess what, Allen has been decent in the middle despite not looking flashy and missing that sitter against Everton.

I've backed Henderson for ages and I'm made up that he's come good - not a Rodgers signing but definitely evidence that the man can improve players if they put in the effort.

Alberto has barely played but he's also young and Sterling has shown that youngsters can drift out of the limelight but improve away from the pitch under Rodgers.

We may not have CL football or a huge budget but right now we're one of a few top clubs who can point to the squad and say that young players looking to make a step up can do it at Liverpool and challenge near enough the top.

I don't agree that us losing against City and Chelsea means that's it, because if we beat them both that hardly makes us favourites either, does it?

If we beat the bottom 10 clubs home and away, that's 60 points right there. All you need is another 20 from the other 9 clubs (20 from 18 fixtures!) to call it a title challenge most seasons. We're consistently beating the bottom teams and have done reasonably well against the better sides. That's what I expected from this season and I'm made up with it.

• Upvote 2

How have he and Agger basically swapped places in terms of status? I thought Agger was generally regarded as one of the best CBs in the league, not to mention a good passer.

The most likely theory is that Rodgers sees Agger as a left sided centre back and Skrtel as right (though Skrtel has played left this season with both Sahko and Agger available?) so Agger won't play in that role.

Honestly I'd rather Toure than Skrtel because quite simply Skrtel looks terrible and has the worst stats of all our centre backs. He seems to have one great season, one shit one and last season he did well so this year he's just constantly spraying effluent over our backline. The performance against Hull was utterly diabolical and I've no idea how he kept his place.

I'd love to eat my words over this but he's at his peak now for the kind of defender he is so I'd rather just flog him to Italy or something and be done with it.

Injuries and rotation mean our defences is always jumbled up. Players often then have to earn their places back. Agger has been away from the action for a while whereas Skrtel has been uninjured and other players slotting in around him have been changing.

We just turned down Napoli's request to loan him and I suspect he will be back in the squad full time sooner rather than later.

I think when you don't support a team you lose track, kind of like when I read the Arsenal thread and see people saying someone like Jenkinson is good and I'm thinking hang on isn't he supposed to be shite?

Agree with this. Jenkinson tends to do OK when he gets a run of games but if Sagna goes he's not good enough to be first choice. Good engine, good crosser, but weak in possession, in the air (where Sagna is absolutely superb), and doesn't show for the ball enough. In terms of technique he's the weakest player in our squad by some distance, but he's not without his plus points.

If Sagna does go I'd be tempted to loan Jenks out, buy a new RB, and have Bellerin as backup.

Only an interim thing which I think is fair enough, if he has a stonker then he'll get the job permanently but if they end the season any lower then they are now then he'll be shunted back upstairs.

Also Arsenal/Chelsea is so bad.

Only an interim thing which I think is fair enough...

It's an 18 month contract, which is pretty much a full term for a Premier League manager. It's an odd appointment, but then I find all these ex-player appointments odd, as if running around a field for 15 years qualifies you to manage a football team. It requires a completely different set of skills and it'd be so much better for these guys' careers to manage in the lower leagues or overseas and hone those skills rather than just go from job to job in the PL in six-month periods at a time.

It's like promoting a company's janitor to CEO because he's been there for quite a while.

• Upvote 3

He has been coaching and generally running the academy at Spurs for about three or four years now so he is hardly a complete novice when it comes to coaching.

As I said in the Spurs thread, it will nice to see some of the academy players get a chance now, as AVB or Harry weren't keen on giving too many if any a chance.

18 months is not "Interim". He's got a contract to the end of next season, not this.

Yeah, right you are. Mis-read an article.

Regardless, I still think there are worse appointments - real world-class coaches aren't going to want to come to Spurs at the moment unfortunately. There aren't really many decent, realistic targets available and also Levy will want to know the new coach can work with Baldini. Sherwood knows the entire club (as well as the youth and reserve teams, which is a bonus) which can only strengthen his case. Of course the style of play is going to be more Redknapp than AVB but fuck it, at least it'll be entertaining.

It's an 18 month contract, which is pretty much a full term for a Premier League manager. It's an odd appointment, but then I find all these ex-player appointments odd, as if running around a field for 15 years qualifies you to manage a football team. It requires a completely different set of skills and it'd be so much better for these guys' careers to manage in the lower leagues or overseas and hone those skills rather than just go from job to job in the PL in six-month periods at a time.

It's like promoting a company's janitor to CEO because he's been there for quite a while.

Yeah, Guardiola was a total failure for instance.

EDIT: or Klopp for Mainz or one of the several hundred other examples.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised with Tim Sherwood getting 18 months, would of thought the end of this season is ok but into next season, not sure id trust Tim Sherwood with 50p, nevermind 25-30m, also Les Ferdinand? Isn't he just a rough and tumble type 'coach'

What an awful match at the Emirates that was.

yeah, it was dreadful. the refereeing was awful as well. i think Arsenal should have had a penalty, and most of the players should have been sent off. he was obviously trying to be lenient due to the weather, but it quickly got out of hand and a lot of the bad challenges had nothing to do with the conditions.

People shouldn't really get hung up the length of the contract, it's more a show of faith than anything - it's not as if he wouldn't be sacked in the summer if it all goes wrong.

yeah, it was dreadful. the refereeing was awful as well. i think Arsenal should have had a penalty, and most of the players should have been sent off. he was obviously trying to be lenient due to the weather, but it quickly got out of hand and a lot of the bad challenges had nothing to do with the conditions.

Did anyone expect anything less from Mike Dean?

To be fair though, my initial reaction to the penalty was that Walcott had gone down very easily looking for it with the barest of touches and wouldn't have given it either. It was only after seeing the replay and Willian hooking his leg that I changed my mind.