IGNORED

Football thread 2013/14 season

Naysonymous

Why are people ruling out Everton? They are going to be there or there about for the top 4, they keep picking up the points and mean there is no breathing room right now.

Same is as Liverpool, lack of squad depth outside of the starting 11.

Speaking of Liverpools defence, what about Skrtel (sp?) grabbing the Cardiff players big time at every corner and even round the chest/neck? Its not just him everybody is at it, but that was pretty bad. Its so infuriating to watch let alone play against, when you see soft as anything free kicks and pens given all the time how on Earth will the refs not call these fouls? "Oh they'll be 6 or 7 pens a game if they did" Yeah, so what? Some nice dives this week to especially by the Man United guy Janusai, i hope he stops that shit he doesnt need to dive.

I did mention in the Liverpool thread that Skrtel could have given away 4 penalties yesterday. He's awful for shirt-grabbing - outside of one instance (where the ref would have been completely blind-sided) the others were pretty blatant.

Same is as Liverpool, lack of squad depth outside of the starting 11.

Yep, but like Liverpool, they keep putting points on the board. Will be very interesting to see the state of play at the end of January when all the teams have their final squads in place.

Liverpool for example, sitting where they are could well be allowed to go out and get another striker and add depth to a solid first XI, but they cannot afford to fall away over the next couple of weeks.

Same with Everton, if come the second week of January they are still in the top 5, then the board will surely allow them to add some depth.

Of course everyone else can and will do the same, but both are (on merit too) in contention and this is where the boards of the respective clubs show their intent.

Yep, but like Liverpool, they keep putting points on the board. Will be very interesting to see the state of play at the end of January when all the teams have their final squads in place.

Liverpool for example, sitting where they are could well be allowed to go out and get another striker and add depth to a solid first XI, but they cannot afford to fall away over the next couple of weeks.

Same with Everton, if come the second week of January they are still in the top 5, then the board will surely allow them to add some depth.

Of course everyone else can and will do the same, but both are (on merit too) in contention and this is where the boards of the respective clubs show their intent.

Well it's more than just a striker, but yeah, potentially FSG could let Rodgers get some players - though that should really be happening regardless if the club wants to move forward (providing there are suitable players available, of course).

Everton's issue may be more to do with lack of funds, rather than lack of desire though.

If Liverpool lose to Man City and Chelsea thats them out of the title race - sounds mad doesn't it but it would then be 5 loses for the season and they will not go through the rest of the season not losing where the eventual winners likely will - i still think its Man City's to throw away with Chelsea and Arsenal scrapping for second and then a pretty big battle for fourth with Liverpool, Spurs, Man U and Everton all in with a shout.

The odd thing will be that if Liverpool lose their next two and no shame in that and Spurs win their next two and again good chances to do so they will both be on 36 points - one having lost a manager and the team having a nightmare of a season.

Funny old game init

Everton have beaten Chelsea at home, United away, drawn with Arsenal away, drawn with Liverpool at home and lost to City away. Their next "tough" game is Liverpool away at the end of January (until then, they've got Sunderland and Norwich at home and Stoke away).

They aren't getting enough respect for what they have done this season, IMO.

If Liverpool lose to Man City and Chelsea thats them out of the title race - sounds mad doesn't it but it would then be 5 loses for the season and they will not go through the rest of the season not losing where the eventual winners likely will - i still think its Man City's to throw away with Chelsea and Arsenal scrapping for second and then a pretty big battle for fourth with Liverpool, Spurs, Man U and Everton all in with a shout.

The odd thing will be that if Liverpool lose their next two and no shame in that and Spurs win their next two and again good chances to do so they will both be on 36 points - one having lost a manager and the team having a nightmare of a season.

Funny old game init

It's been mad with the amount of teams in contention for anything and everything. We were close to being left behind but now we've got ourselves a run of nice fixtures to sort that out. For City it was finding those away results - seems like they might be sorting that out so they're going to be the team that everyone's hoping slip up. Spurs aren't doing as bad as they expect, their results just haven't been emphatic or surprising as we expected when Bale was tearing it up. Looks as if the loss for Southampton is starting the divide between them and the top of the table - not to say they've been bad, just hit a patch of dodgy form.

It's been mad with the amount of teams in contention for anything and everything. We were close to being left behind but now we've got ourselves a run of nice fixtures to sort that out.

Still reliant on a lot of teams dropping points like flies though. Consistency is what you need but you are having to sit and wait to see what happens.

Everton have beaten Chelsea at home, United away, drawn with Arsenal away, drawn with Liverpool at home and lost to City away. Their next "tough" game is Liverpool away at the end of January (until then, they've got Sunderland and Norwich at home and Stoke away).

They aren't getting enough respect for what they have done this season, IMO.

Yeah, Everton have been fantastic - best defence, only lost once, playing good football - but joint highest number of draws is holding them back.

Like I say though, they share the same problem as Liverpool - lack of squad depth. A couple of injuries, a player or two out of form and they don't really have much they can change. Still, Martinez has taken the good work Moyes did and taken on a level so far this season.

Shimmy - I disagree that Liverpool losing the next 2 would automatically rule them out of the running, any more than I would rule Man U out at this point - and that's mainly because everybody is throwing points away this season. Plus, as imperious as Man City are at home, their away form is still patchy. As AlwaysBeClosing says, it's made for a very exciting league so far this season.

I'd have thought Liverpool's main issue is the rather significant amount of money Rodgers has spunked on dross players. That's surely going to have a bearing on future funds.

He hasn't spent stupid money like the last few managers have. The most on a dross player is £12m on Borini which he thought had more about him. The money we spent on Sahko seems well worth it.

I'd have thought Liverpool's main issue is the rather significant amount of money Rodgers has spunked on dross players. That's surely going to have a bearing on future funds.

What are you on about? The only dross signing has been Borini otherwise Rodgers has been excellent in the transfer window. Many signings he has made have been following the FSG model of recruiting young players with potential so its too early to make any sort of judgement on them but the players has bought for the first team; Sturridge, Coutinho, Sakho, Toure, Allen, Mignolet, have been excellent. The players Rodgers has bought in is one of the reasons Liverpool have improved so much under him.

Aspas? 7.5m wasn't he?

Probably the only one i'd consider a disappointment so far.

I'm still clinging on to some hope that Borini might make it, but I had the same with David N'Gog so i'm clearly delusional.

I'm thrilled at how Liverpool are playing and the progress that has been made by certain players, but i'm also aware it could all come crashing down over the next couple of weeks and the table could look a hell of a lot different.

Borini, Aspas and Allen haven't come close to justifying the outlay. That's getting on for £30m right there, plus wages.

I've only seen Sakho fully a couple of times and he was pretty shite, same as he was whenever I saw him at PSG in the last couple of years, but you see him all the time so I'll take your word for it I guess. He did look promising a few years ago.

Borini, Aspas and Allen haven't come close to justifying the outlay. That's getting on for £30m right there, plus wages.

I've only seen Sakho fully a couple of times and he was pretty shite, same as he was whenever I saw him at PSG in the last couple of years, but you see him all the time so I'll take your word for it I guess. He did look promising a few years ago.

I know a couple of games doesn't make up for a season and a half, but Allen has been much better over the past couple of games, in a midfield of him, Henderson and Lucas. It is much more balanced and seems to suit him better than having Gerrard in there also.

Borini & Aspas have been out a lot with injuries, you're probably right about Allen although he's looked good recently

Did you watch Sakho v Swansea & Man Utd away, he was shite then when he first came but he's been pretty good since, I think when you don't support a team you lose track, kind of like when I read the Arsenal thread and see people saying someone like Jenkinson is good and I'm thinking hang on isn't he supposed to be shite?

Well it's the same with Henderson, because of his first poor season everyone was still saying he was shit last year and again the start of this season. But last season and especially this one he's got a lot better. If all people are seeing of Liverpool is MOTD they don't see how far he's come unless he has a great game like he did against Spurs and it gets highlighted

On Rodgers' spending, I don't think the £12m and £7.5m spent on Borini and Aspas outweighs the great signing he's made elsewhere for not a lot of money. £12m for Sturridge and £10m for Coutinho. We could probably make double back on them both atm. Also Mingolet for only £10m is a great buy.

On a separate note I really hope the City and Liverpool fans do a massive Yaya vs Kolo chant on Thursday, it'll be amazing.

I'd put Rodgers success rate with players bought for the here and now at around 50% ( the likes of Ilori, Alberto and Yesil are ones for the future as far as I'm concerned, well maybe not Yesil sadly). If Liverpool want to catch up to the likes of City and Chelsea though it needs to be much closer to 90% as those clubs can drop £20+ million on a player without batting an eyelid.

Sahin and Borini are the two standout black marks for me. Borini because he just doesn't seem up to it while Sahin was an awful waste of a talented player.

I've only seen Liverpool once in the flesh this season against West Ham and Sakho was fantastic. He was very very expensive but if he works out he could be first choice at the club for the next ten years which wouldn't be a bad bit of business.