rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
TehStu

Everquest Next

Don't do it!!!!

Sheesh... I remember doing a raid on the plane of fear.... Got home from work at 6pm n the Friday night... Started the raid at around 8pm..... Next thing I know it's 3 o'clock on Snday afternoon......

It was utterly unforgiving... It made wow look like mario.....nothing worse than dying in some far flung lace and not bein able to find some to res you, meanin the 3 days worth of grinding for exp you'd just done had been lost......

I hear it's a lot more forgiving these days, but mainly it would just be nice to understand how the original EQ worked in regards to gameplay. I did try about a year ago (when it first went F2P) but I just couldn't be bothered with the interface. Maybe this time...

There was a handful of people chatting (2am) in the general channel about games when I logged on (RP server, forget what it's called) which is a lot more then I could say for my home server in WoW, cough.

Edit: Unsubbed to WoW again, on a random note.

My word, this looks amazing! I never played the original, what's the best resource to read up on the mechanics etc?

I just can't believe my eyes. WoW looks like Pong compared to this.

Mind you, my only MMORPG experience has been the WoW beta back when that was released and Defiance. So as you can see I've never been much of an MMO type guy but with this it seems like they've taken everything I hate about your typical MMORPG and delivered upon creating a truly dynamic and beautiful world.

I was never in to EQ, but wow that looks good, great artstyle. It's a ballsy move on Sony's part, I hope it works out for them, the genre needs a shakeup.

Amen, this looks utterly fantastic. Don't try to copy wow, do your own thing (which, when they do it, SOE are brilliant at).

Titan won't be subscription based, by the way. Think that's probably the death knell of the subscription MMO.

The presentation was all tech demo, hand wavey bullshit and frivolous ideology. I'll check back when there is an actual game to talk about.

I think a hybrid low sub with cosmetic pay elements will be the next 'thing'. I don't think F2P on it's own fosters a good game or a good community.

I think a hybrid low sub with cosmetic pay elements will be the next 'thing'. I don't think F2P on it's own fosters a good game or a good community.

I admit, that does concern some about MMOs going forward. One of the driving factors in MMO games is the sub with some people; it's to do with people really wanting to try and get the best out of the money they've put in. With freemium games that's not really there.

I'm more concerned about the quality of the actual game, though - like how it plays on a minute-to-minute basis, so this is still looking good from where I'm standing. Communities don't usually mean much to me; all I need is for the game to seem like there are plenty of people playing it.

Reinstalled EQ1 earlier, swore at the massively confusing UI for 10 minutes, had a run about (Selos makes you faaaast) forgot you cant solo for shit in this game, died horribly, did a CR and turned it off.

Going to install EQ2 now...

Curious to know how that looks these days. At the time it was technically really advanced (though I thought the art style was very generic and dull). It ran like shit on most computers, though that was SOE through and through - they usually designed their games to run well on machines that didn't exist yet as they wanted them to "hit their stride" several years in.

You know what ran on poor spec PCs perfectly well on the day of release? WoW.

Reinstalled EQ1 earlier, swore at the massively confusing UI for 10 minutes, had a run about (Selos makes you faaaast) forgot you cant solo for shit in this game, died horribly, did a CR and turned it off.

I know it requires reading guides and such but theres apparently these things called mercenaries in EQ1 now that essentially help you level. EG: Have a personal healer by your side, or a tank! etc. I'd rather do the traditional solo if I can though, just not sure if it's actually possible or not yet.

My current EQ2 problems = can't find a way to make the whole interface a little bigger. It's far too small on a high res screen.

The presentation was all tech demo, hand wavey bullshit and frivolous ideology. I'll check back when there is an actual game to talk about.

Oi, chin up, we need a good MMO to obsess over, and you missed SWG :P

Agreed on at least some small sub, though.

I've been playing EQ2 for the last few days, it's graphics are really odd and have aged considerably but there is a game that does the lore and ideas in it's predecessor proud. It's really surprisingly deep and complex

Rather enjoying. REALLY looking forwards to EQ:Next now.

Bring this shit out on PS4 please, Sony.

I think it's a certainty that it'll hit the PS4 at some point

I love EQ2. Correction, I loved EQ2 up until The Shadow Odyssey and Sentinels Fate.

I hope you're a Ratonga Dirge or Coercer :wub:

Also, do /cute in-game.

I saw the live preview and it does look very nice but it still would seem ProSeibenSat1 is handling the accounts side of things which is not a good thing. Not sure if its going to come out on consoles but if it is that makes me a little worried for the compromises that would have to be made, lets face it for games this complex you need a keyboard and a mouse and if an MMO is to last 10 years or more you are always going to be developing for the base level system graphically, be that XBone or PS4 whereas most PC gamers update their graphics card (or more bits) every 3 years or even more often.

Sony at this point needs a new MMO. I am still logging in occasionally to play EQ2, although it's mainly to monitor sage sales, I have about 5200 plat in the bank with nothing to spend it on but its still a great complex game with lots to do but I find myself playing more when winter hits.

EverQuest 2 itself I believe still looks good graphically but sony bet itself back in 2003 / 2004 that CPUs were going to hit 10GHz or more, that simply has not happened and CPUs instead have multiple cores which the game engine doesn't really take much of an interest in. So I now have an 8 core AMD machine at nearly 5GHz with an Nvidia 760 and still get jerkyness on occasion and theres no chance they will update the game engine at this late stage.

Theres no doubt that Sony appear to have learnt lessons from the past and the game engine itself looks capable of great things. I signed up for Beta so will still give it a go but ProSeiben? really?

Theres no doubt that Sony appear to have learnt lessons from the past and the game engine itself looks capable of great things. I signed up for Beta so will still give it a go but ProSeiben? really?

Yeah, admittedly - I've never seen an MMO where their services are handled by a third party, where that's resulted in a better user experience. It's always "OK" or "worse".

I think this would be getting more attention if it weren't named Everquest. I mean, they're basically doing a high-budget F2P Minecraft, with some very interesting new technology (VoxelEngine), that also integrates experimental storytelling stuff (they bought Storybricks) and advances in AI.

It's that rarest of beasts, something that actually pushes the non-graphical bits of the industry we all wish it would, in the middle of one of the most stagnant genres around.

And, well - not being rude, but all anyone reading this thread would get is a bit of grognardy nostalgia and discussion of sub D&D "lore".

Good discussion there, I certainly like the idea of a MOBA style tank idea, hope it's nothign like the dull as dishwater DPS zerg of GW2 that's for sure.

Personally I'm a fan of the holy trinity style approach, keeps roles defined and encourages co-operation

Chances of 'complex AI' in an online MMO = close to zero. And let's be honest here, what sensible AI would ever attack a 'tank'? None.

It sounds like they've gone all 'Monster Hunter' making threat and tank roles irrelevant. Mobs will be running around dropping targets and attacking whatever the hell they like based on proximity with some scripted attacks thrown in.

I'm not sure you can have working raids with this style of 'threat'. Perhaps raiding is not something they intend to feature heavily.

Isn't the idea, that the mob attack a tank, so they can tank? AI is marketing fluff, but I appreciate any effort to break from cookie cutter builds.

I wonder if they're toying with designs from SWG. You could effectively build anything, depending on how you spent your 250 points. For instance, with master creature handler, I was a pretty good tank, but I also mixed that with enough DPS (commando for flame, as I recall) to be useful. But I could have equally gone combat medic or something for the rest.

Worth also noting that, before they shit the bed and decided SWG needed to be WoW in space, there wasn't really any raids, per we. They added some pretty hard instances later on, but nothing of the WoW ilk. EVE, though a bit of a one off, shows you don't necessarily need raid content, as long as there's content.

I think changing how threat works could be really interesting. You could keep the tank role alive and well, just hinge it on context rather than class.

To give an example, say you have a lumbering ice enemy that has a sizeable threat multiplier when it comes to fire attacks. You might be able to approach things traditionally by having a heavily armoured type use a weapon imbued with fire or you could have a mage kite the enemy by using lots of fire magic. The former would require constant healing to keep the traditional tank healthy whereas in the latter case keeping the mage out of harm's way is more important, so rather than heals you want someone providing constant snares and blinding attacks.

The basic methodology of the holy trinity remains but it is no longer so prescriptive, with class roles shifting depending on who is best to agitate and debilitate the enemy. A simple weighting of variables drastically expands the possible approaches.

• Upvote 2

I'd love to see a more traditional action rpg style where the tank has to physically get between mobs and the party, like 'brace' could be the tank raising his shield to stop a heavy physical effect like a giant bringing down a huge club and stopping any AE effect , or 'behind me' in order to get between an effect like 'cone of dragon breath' and create a safe area directly behind him.