rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
TehStu

Everquest Next

Please delete if this is a duplicate, but couldn't see a thread for this.

New Everquest!

By William Murphy on June 11, 2013

This summer should be nothing short of a revelation when SOE unveils their big plans for theEverQuest franchise's third major installment: EverQuest Next. We know it will be a sandbox as the images below tweeted by John Smedley imply, and we know that visually, it'll rival what we've seen with Planetside 2 because they use the same Lightforge Engine. We know that SOE has partnered up with Namaste Entertainment to use Storybricks in some way shape or form... And that's about it. I mean of course we know it'll take place in Norrath and have huge menacing armor, but that was probably a given. Really, there's very little we truly know so far about EverQuest Next. So what I'd like to do this week is shine a little light on three things we want to find out about the evolution of Norrath, whether it's before or after SOE Live's big reveal.

How Much Can We Shape the World?
Everyone has their own definition of a sandbox, so when Smed claims that EQN will the largest sandbox style MMO ever, it's easy to get excited about what that might mean. But will EQN be a sandbox like Ultima Online (building and shaping the actual world) or more like EVE where the politics are the focal point? Or will we see a combination of the two? What's more interesting about Smed's claim is that SOE is teaming up with Namaste to use Storybricks in EverQuest Next. Will the sandbox extend past building and crafting and politics and into creating actual stories to share with each other? After the robust features of Cryptic's Foundry, we really hope so. How much of the world and story will be crafted for us by Sony, and how much will they let us guide things ourselves?

EQN.jpg

What Will EverQuest Next's Combat Be Like?
There's no denying that combat is a core feature of every MMORPG (heck any game, really) and EverQuest Next will be no different. The Forgelight Engine is already fantastically used in Planetside 2 to capture the intense action, explosions, and craziness of a shooter. To say that it can probably easily handle the combat of an MMORPG is a no brainer. But the question is: how much will it resemble combat of traditional MMOs? Or will it be closer to the likes of TERA and Guild Wars 2 with its action-based combat? I know there are parties on both sides of the fence: those who prefer the traditional tab targeting that EverQuest practically invented, and those who want the more fast paced action. Personally, I hope it's more of the latter. I want to hunt down deer to make leather armor, I want to rely on my own aim to land a fireball, and hold up my shield to block an attack. And with the (almost certain) notion of EQN coming to the PS4, I'd expect the combat to be very dynamic. Perhaps even something like Elder Scrolls.
What Will EverQuest Next's Progression Be Like?
EverQuest is known for its leveling, amount of different classes, and of course the popular Alternate Advancement for level-capped characters. But we wonder if SOE will shy away from traditional levels with this edition of Norrath, and instead go with a non-traditional progression model that involves advancement through activity. As in, you swim a lot? Swimming levels up. You use a bow a lot? Your archery goes up. Cut down a lot of trees? Axe wielding and forestry level up. We could be way off base here, but it would be nice if Dave Georgeson and crew helped direct the genre away from traditional level-based treadmills where players focus too much on gaining that singular number and not enough on the adventure. We're also curious to see if EQN will have traditional classes, or allow a more freedom progression. The danger of course being balance for PVP's sake.

EQNLarge_t.jpg

Source

• Upvote 1

Long time SOE veteran (PS1, SWG, EQ2, Vanguard SOH and, briefly, PS2) so really looking forward to this. I've been stung so many times by shoddy SOE work, but I thought Planetside 2 was pretty well done, and they're the kings of sandbox MMO.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes; it's right what has been said above - Planetside 2 seemed to come out of nowhere in terms of SOE's output, considering some of the titles they've done in the past.

Long time SOE veteran (PS1, SWG, EQ2, Vanguard SOH and, briefly, PS2) so really looking forward to this. I've been stung so many times by shoddy SOE work, but I thought Planetside 2 was pretty well done, and they're the kings of sandbox MMO.

Heh, it's only PS1 that you have over me on that list Stu.

I too, am looking forward to this far more than I should considering the messes that Smed has inflicted upon me as a player, chief among them the NGE (I actually thought the CU was needed) and teh Froglok debacle and eventual erosion of EQ2 into some weird WoW copycat.

I just want a sandbox MMO (not EVE) that hasn't been made initially with Koreans in mind, but Western studios seem so against it; until now hopefully.

I played the original EQ for the best part of a decade. I'm not sure if I'm dreading this or frothing at the mouth to see it.
I had a real EQ addiction so this news frightens me somewhat, then again I managed to quit EQ2 at the first danger signs ;p

It's super weird that people want a sandbox title from the first MMO to do the theme park thing that we now associate with WoW.

I expect this'll be very much like Planetside 2, but fantasy. Heavy focus on reflexes based action, faction based territory conquest so that other players provide most of the content, maybe some form of repeatable PvE "public events" like RIFTs Rifts on top. It's an excellent way of saving money on content creation, and SOE seem to have realised that trying to outcompete WoW/SWTOR in the "money spent" race is a mugs' game.

A true fantasy MMO with the scope of EVE has yet to be made. Smed actively follows CCP, so I suspect he knows full well where MMOs should be going.

Excited

I expect this'll be very much like Planetside 2, but fantasy. Heavy focus on reflexes based action, faction based territory conquest so that other players provide most of the content, maybe some form of repeatable PvE "public events" like RIFTs Rifts on top.

FUCKING SOLD

John Smedly and SOE seem to make an artform out of annoying their players. I have played EQ2 for years and it's been the only MMO I have ever played and still really enjoy the game today, it's so varied and there is always something to do, never had a game pull me in as much and you get to speak to players all over the world. I started playing in December 2004/05 I think and the game has been through a lot of changes.

That said though I think I will call it a day after this you need to invest a lot of time to remain competative with high end players (fabled, mastered, AA and levelling).

The biggest obstacle for a lot of current players and eqnext will be is they follow through with allowing ProSeibenSat1 to manage the accounts, when they were talking about moving EQ2 accounts over to that the game lost a lot of players.

Not sure if it's been confirmed PS4, just saw it mentioned (in more than one place) so figured I'd tag it PS4, for now. Given the industry is heading in a F2P direction, and the PS4 is quite PC-ey, it's not a stretch to think they'll bring it over. Perhaps it'll capture some of the Skyrim crowd.

Anyway, what I want from this (ramble incoming):

What I deeply loved about SWG was that you could do pretty much anything. You could build cities and literally change the landscape (some of which could be destroyed through PvP), so no one server was the same as another. The economy was really lively, particularly because you could host your own vendors out in player cities. Crafting wasn't an afterthought, or something you did as a chore to get XYZ for end game raiding - you could roll a purely crafting character and that was entirely plausible way to play (as with EVE, actually). It wasn't a wonderfully hand-crafted environment, but it was interesting enough to explore. One day, I decided to go to Lok and walk from one side of the map to the other. Took an hour, without a vehicle, and I aggro'd lots of Krayt Dragons, which I hadn't seen before. Then it took an hour to walk back to the space port. That's fine, because just randomly walking around was fun! I felt no compulsion to level - some nights I'd just login and shoot the shit in our cantina. Actually, at one point I dropped all my skill points and took up master musician and doctor instead, so that I could sit in the cantina in our city giving physical and mental buffs for folk going out leveling. Occasionally, my guilidies would join me and we'd have a whole band going for mega buffs. If I felt like shooting things, I'd go out farming materials for guildies with my ranger/creature handler. If we had any newer players, I'd take them with - no level restrictions to high level helping lower level, which boosted camaraderie between players. If that wasn't enough, there's always the Jabba / Imperial / Rebel themepark to complete, or really nasty stuff on Endor to shoot (always fun with newer players).

Of course, it was buggy as hell, capped to 30 fps although tended to run in teens on PCs of the time, had an awful interface (although a fantastic, built in macro system) and was utterly ruined by a preconceived notion that they had to completely rewrite the game to compete with newly launched WoW. That's the vintage SOE bit I refer to.

Anyway, if they're truly going sandbox, I want some influence over the world - physically, politically or economically. I want LOTS of things to do aside from leveling, and perhaps even no compulsion to level at all. Some story would be good (ala the theme parks), but I don't want the game to end abruptly, like so many others, forcing you onto the Raiding as a Second Job™ train. If I had to pick any of the big MMO devs to be capable of that, I'd probably go with SOE.

Whilst I don't quite share your experience (I thought SWG was ambitious but ultimately I didn't like it much) I will say one thing for it, which you touch on - you could do things in SWG that involved no combat. You could be a prospector, or politician, or doctor, or bartender, for example. I kinda miss the promise of MMOs where you could do stuff like that. Guild Wars, TERA, RIFT, WoW - you can be a warrior or a priest, but ultimately you're going to fight and kill a lot of NPCs.

• Upvote 2

Oh shit, I actually got a twinge of apprehension looking at this thread.

Both scenarios are troublesome:

Its shit and spoils my memories

Its brilliant and I once again lose my social life and skills.

• Upvote 2

Well, this has made its debut at SOE live and it has gone in a direction that I doubt many saw. The staples are still there - Norrath, the races, questing - but it's all been shaken up. Lore has been retconned and they're releasing new stuff periodically on the site in the run up to the game.

Questing seems to have embraced the GW2 model but with them promising to have taken it to the next level: Orcs attacking a caravan of traders. Help the traders and get discounts and protection quests or help the Orcs and possibly gain access to classes you've not seen yet but gain emnity with traders and humans. It could all be hot air ( as with GW2) but the main thing that gives it credence is the main departure of the series: the graphics.

As well as looking sumptuous (and the facial animation and expressions were easily the most advanced is seen in an MMO) everything is built with voxels and can be destroyed. We're told that main settlements can't be touched but out in the wilds you can, and are encouraged to literally go digging for treasure. An example was given for digging up a quest starter and then collapsing the tunnel\area so others couldn't access it.

I'm on the phone so I can't link it but go to twitch TV, search for SOE Everquest Next pt2 reveal and watch it.

The only thing that could ruin it is their business model. I believe it'll be like Planetside 2 but I don't know how that will transition to the EQ series.

Yeah, 40 odd classes, four weapon skills (ala GW2) and four that you pick from your pool. No levels, everything available (zone wise) from the start and haven't even touched on the crafting yet which will be incredible with the building tools available.

Looking good.

Couple of vids:

Can get an idea of the expressions in the second vid. I also love their interpretation of Feerott. Can't wait to see the Temple of Cazic Thule and do the Stein of Moggok heritage quest there :)

The announcement, this is looking very interesting.

ibdlwYS1OoS6oH.gif

standing.gif

teleport.gif

But before Next there will be Landmark coming later this year, which is a game version of the creation tools in a collection of persistent online worlds. It seems like a Minecraft type game, claim a spot of land and you can create things on that plot. There will be a section of the world where the art direction of Next will be enforced, where they may say we want a building designed to these specs, people create buildings, community votes and best ones get into Next. You'll also be able to sell your creations for actual cash.

ku-xlarge.gif

ku-xlarge.gif

ku-xlarge.gif

I await several hour long corpse recoveries from giant player made penis shaped monuments with baited breath.

Please let there be a bard class. The legend of Kareoke Kokee (my EQ Bard) must continue!

The whole world customisation thing makes a lot of sense, coming from the company that made Star Wars Galaxies. It'll be interesting to see how they make it work.

It does look awfully good. If I'm honest, pre-Planetside 2 I had very little faith that SOE would ever do anything particularly worthwhile again - but that game absolutely stunned me. Definitely going to watch this as it matures.

Already more interested than in WildStar.

Please let there be a bard class. The legend of Kareoke Kokee (my EQ Bard) must continue!

Dirge fo' life yo!

FF XIV will still be my main MMO for the foreseeable future hopefully, but I spent seven good years in EQ2 and have lots of very happy memories from it.

I will however, refuse point blank to even entertain this game if they don't release Ratonga as one of the playable species :quote: