IGNORED

When does next-gen become current gen?

Moz

Last time around we referred to the Xbox 360 and PS3 as "next-gen" for bloody ages after they came out, or at least some people did. It was annoying.

Can we set a specific time and date for the exact moment when "next-gen" becomes "current-gen" this time around?

I propose the entire forum argue about it for two pages before the thread drops into oblivion with nothing decided upon.

Next gen becomes current gen the moment the first of the two new consoles launches. At this point, "current gen" becomes "last-gen". People can continue to be argue about which gen the Wii U belongs to.

OK with everyone?

:)

I look at Wikipedia and call them seventh and eighth-gen, just to be awkward. :P

I don't know if I like their numerical definition. Wikipedia's supreme commandment is that they should never "create" information; only document it - and I could swear those numbers arose from discussions among Wikipedia users. Now I've said that though, someone will point out a very well researched book from 1994 which was used as the basis for it.

As has been proven with every generation, the "next-gen" lasts until we start talking about the next-next-gen. So the PS4 and Xbox One will be referred to as "next-gen" until we start talking about the PS5 and the Xbox Two and need to call them next-gen instead. I don't know why there's always debate about it because it happens literally every time.

As has been proven with every generation, the "next-gen" lasts until we start talking about the next-next-gen. So the PS4 and Xbox One will be referred to as "next-gen" until we start talking about the PS5 and the Xbox Two and need to call them next-gen instead.

THAT HAS ALREADY BEGUN:

Maybe this whole experience for MS will be like Vista, and we'll get Xbox Two in 2 years. With One never spoken of again.