rllmuk
rubberducker

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

I can relate to finding a lot of the challenges in Odyssey dull and easy, but there’s are so many packed into each world that it’s easily forgiven. 

I do really wish they’d bring this over, or better yet, give us a 3D World 2. 

Odyssey is amazing for the people who want that type of gameplay, where there's something interesting to do in any direction. It's similar to BOTW in that way, which I loved. But I don't want to go looking for challenges in a Mario game, I want them fed to me. I don't want to have to guess whether this will be challenging platforming, or boring platforming, or a puzzle, or terrible 2D levels, or a hat gimmick. I put the game on, wander about, get bored and give up after half an hour. I don't like the worlds or find them charming. It just doesn't do it for me, though it's obviously an excellent example of an exploration based platformer. I've just never really liked them.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, joffocakes said:

3D World disappointed me in hindsight relative to 3D Land because it wasnt as tightly-focused a challenge. A lot of it was made more forgiving to accommodate four players I guess. It hardly mattered at the time because it was so joyous and full of variety.

Yeah, looking back on it, that might very well be the reason why it didn't gel with me either.

Gave me hours of multiplayer fun with my kid though. So still a great game nonetheless.

Up to 72 stars now, have had to turn it off as it's a beautiful day outside and i'm indoors shouting 'fucking bollocks' at the tv. No level yet has been really hard, the majority of the time it's myself making stupid basic mistakes, but this has that wonderful just one more go pull.

Some really charming little touches too, such as the tiny scratches that appear on the walls briefly as you slide down them as a cat.

Have Galaxy 1 & 2 after this, have never played those either. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

• Upvote 3

The very final level is excellent. I kinda wish the game had a longer run of difficult challenges, like 3D Land, but the variety of ideas across the game makes up for the overall lack of difficulty. 

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Just got to the end of rainbow road in this and need an extra 20 stars for the last level. Cba with that! Had a great time with the game though. 

Fucking get those stars and do that last level. That level alone ought to have your gaming time sorted near enough until Christmas! 

When I think back to 3D World, all I think of are the weeks of sadomasochistic pleasure I had wrestling with Champions Road when all else was said and done. That one level and all the hundreds of attempts at it may even be peak Mario for me.

Besides, how can you even leave a 3D Mario game with stars uncollected? :blink:

13 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Fucking get those stars and do that last level. That level alone ought to have your gaming time sorted near enough until Christmas! 

When I think back to 3D World, all I think of are the weeks of sadomasochistic pleasure I had wrestling with Champions Road when all else was said and done. That one level and all the hundreds of attempts at it may even be peak Mario for me.

Besides, how can you even leave a 3D Mario game with stars uncollected? :blink:

Is that every green star? I have about 499 wii games to get through! Il do it though just got 2 more :) 20 to go 

I can’t remember what quota of the stars required to unlock it are green, sorry. How do they even work again? Do 3 green stars add up to one gold star or something? It’s been too long.

Got to the last level and then decided to sell the Wii U. Formatted it and then remembered no cloud saves.  Ooooops.   Then I decided to keep the Wii U ofter all.  Have been slowly making my way through it again with the kids all year. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Got to the last level and then decided to sell the Wii U. Formatted it and then remembered no cloud saves.  Ooooops.   Then I decided to keep the Wii U ofter all.  Have been slowly making my way through it again with the kids all year. 

Know how you feel. I only keep my Wii U for SM3DW and Wind Waker HD. (And I guess because the console has negligible resale value these days.)

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Know how you feel. I only keep my Wii U for SM3DW and Wind Waker HD. (And I guess because the console has negligible resale value these days.)

I get a fair bit of pleasure finding WiiU games on ebay or in supermarket clearances.  They look really nice on the games shelf and I get a sense of gratification of finding a "bargain"      :)

• Upvote 1

Me and my son have tried Champion’s Road so many times. Neither of us can get past the alternating blue/pink blocks bit. 

• Upvote 1

Considering all the other WiiU Ports this one coming over would seem to be an inevitability, & unlike Tropical Freeze or Captain Toad where I waited for a sale, this is one I wouldn't mind getting right away for full price.

Isn't there a Nintendo Direct happening sometime this month?

I doubt they could make it a shadowdrop what with all the other WiiU Ports having had cart releases too, but still, it's nice to think about playing Mario for Xmas... mmmm. ^_^

If they do port it, then every Wii U game I own will be available on Switch in some form and my Wii U purchase will retroactively become a complete waste of money and I don’t want that to happen thanks. 

• Empathy 2

I also adored this game but was surprised that my feelings towards Odyssey were something along the lines of "it's good I guess". I loved the focus of the courses in 3d world, odyssey went in the opposite direction with the sprawling stages. 3d World was like a 3d version of Mario 3 and Odyssey felt like an updated Mario 64 with bigger stages. I prefer the former.

This was clearly the best game on wii u and it wouldnt surprise me if they hold the inevitable port back to shift a different piece of hardware in a few years instead of releasing it on switch.

I think you’ll find that the best game on the wiiu was breath of the wild... ;)

but you might be right... maybe keeping the port of this for another switch hardware cycle 

• Upvote 1