rllmuk
rubberducker

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

On 25/08/2014 at 8:24 AM, Fletch said:

That's very interesti....zzzzz

Charming!

:-O

3 hours ago, joffocakes said:

loved Champion's Road. It was a good challenge without being absurdly difficult and has some nice shortcuts for people who want to better their times. Plus it has that Gusty Garden Galaxy music from Mario Galaxy, which is prefect.

I spent a good half hour on it and got a lot further than i expected. Then i just felt rage so had to turn it off. I'll probably be crap when i attempt it again.

Fucking love this game. It didn't quite have the impact in single player as Galaxy and Mario 64, and lacks the identity of those games, but it was team Galaxy getting back on track after the relative disappointment of 3D Land. Obviously, compared to almost all other platforms, 3D Land was superb, but I wasn't overly keen on the 2D Mario games in 3D direction for a number of reasons. But then they added multiplayer to this and suddenly the 2D into 3D made complete sense.  The game was doing something completely different to other 3D Marios and it was doing it in a more enjoyable way than any New Super Mario Bros game had.

What they also did was make sure that, aside from a couple of levels like Champions Road, there was a plentiful supply of the right power up for the right situation, unlike 3D Land, which had me frequently going back to get Tanooki powers for the last third of the game. This felt like it had more in common with the Galaxy games, with specific challenges designed for specific power ups that it made sure you had. And it had more and better ideas. Cat Mario's the greatest power up they've invented since Fludd.

Yeah I must admit I found 3d land very barebones and it was obviously rushed through development. The second half of the game seemed cheap to me as well, so much so I stopped playing.

3d world kept me hooked. Looks great, some amazing levels. Sure it's not as original as some mario games but i honestly kinda preferred to the galaxy games in some ways. I still love the Galaxy games (infact Galaxy 1 is one of my favourite games) but i wouldn't be opposed to another 3d world styled game if it was as good.

The second half of 3D Land was the real game.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, SMD said:

The second half of 3D Land was the real game.

really? i know the difficulty increased but i just found it was just mostly replaying the same levels for a green star. There were a few new courses but too much repeating. I did many of the green star levels but i just lost interest which generally doesn't happen with me and mario games!

2 minutes ago, Danster said:

Did you use the gold tanooki suit?

that for invincibility right? Nope never used it except by accident once  (in fact i've never used any of those "cheat modes" on any of the mario games that introduced them).

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

really? i know the difficulty increased but i just found it was just mostly replaying the same levels for a green star. There were a few new courses but too much repeating. I did many of the green star levels but i just lost interest which generally doesn't happen with me and mario games!

The second half of Super Mario 3D Land is the main reason I'm torn as to whether it or 3D World is my favourite of the two. 3D World has a lot more variety with its playful experimentation but 3D Land has much more tightly designed challenges; particularly in its time-limited stages where you have to top-up the clock by stomping Goombas while cosmic Mario mimics your actions and forces you to plan ahead so as not to obstruct your own path to the goal.

3D World couldn't pull off those kind of stages due to the nature of its 4-player design. Some Challenge Modes akin to the excellent equivalent in NSMBU (by far the best part of that game) would have helped satisfy that for me. That's fine, though, because it's still absolutely excellent. Beautiful too; every time I play it it's slightly more beautiful than I remember. 

• Upvote 1

Just borrowing a Wii U off a friend while they're away on holiday and really enjoying this. Thought for a second this morning it had forgot most of the progress I made yesterday (and that was about to sour it to me) only to discover it treats saves very differently, depending if an ext HDD is attached to it or not.

The HDD was attached yesterday when I was playing, attached it since to play MK8. That configuration then seemingly reverted back to an older save (my friend clearly hadn't played it much, wasn't off the first island), but by then rebooting without the HDD attached, yesterday's save was then what it referenced.

I rebought this recently and playing through it in co-op with my boy, it's so much fun paying through together well except when he runs ahead as I'm trying to get a star and I go into a bubble and warp to him. I also have to let him get the flags or there will be sulking. We die a lot and we laugh a lot and we use the Tanooki Suit of Shame a lot.

• Upvote 2

I ended up getting into too many arguments with my son playing together so we had to take it in turns.

• Upvote 1

It's true but I'm learning to be the bigger man (through gritted teeth) and have my own save file for when I want to play distraction free.

Just now, clippa said:

Kicks the tits off that stupid hat game.

Shhh, the Odyssey Stasi will hear you!

You're right though.

• Upvote 3

I lost my save for this, was about half way through, so have had to restart it. What an absolute pleasurable position to be in.

Have there been any rumblings of it coming to Switch? Seems criminal if it doesn't.

• Upvote 4

As much as I enjoyed Mario Odyssey, I think I liked 3D World a little bit more. It’s funny, because I was hyped beyond belief for Odyssey’s release, but mostly nonplussed about playing 3D World at launch. I think I may have only got round to playing it maybe a year after it came out. 

It could well be that my comparatively low expectations for 3D World meant that I wound up being more than pleasantly surprised at its continual quality throughout, whereas my uber-psychedness about Odyssey meant I was left a bit disappointed (note: I still loved the fuck out of it, but it wasn’t the Galaxy levels of quality that I was perhaps unrealistically hoping for).

I think both games combined to confirm for me that I want my Mario games to be more about leaping and hopping and playing within a linear assault course, rather than exploring a more vast world, but then I think, “oh fuck, what about secret exits and stuff?” and then I remember to relax and just enjoy all Mario games as and when I’m lucky enough to play a new one.

• Upvote 5

3D World is my least favourite 3D Mario game tbh. Never got on with it, despite loving (getting the 5 gold coins rating) 3D Land to bits. Not sure why really. Personally I'd still rate the Galaxies as the pinnacle in 3D Mario games, followed by Odyssey and SM64.

I thought 3D World would be shit because it wasn’t a proper 3D game, but it was a tight, focused, exciting joy to play. I thought Odyssey would change the world but it’s a nebulous, confusing, boring game where I have to waste ages searching out challenges that are dull and easy. 

I cant believe they ported yet another shitty NSMB game to Switch but left this behind :(

• Upvote 7

3D World disappointed me in hindsight relative to 3D Land because it wasnt as tightly-focused a challenge. A lot of it was made more forgiving to accommodate four players I guess. It hardly mattered at the time because it was so joyous and full of variety.

It would be great if it (and an up-scaled 3D Land?) could get a Switch port. It was a joy playing through the excellent NSMBU again.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Broker said:

I thought 3D World would be shit because it wasn’t a proper 3D game, but it was a tight, focused, exciting joy to play. I thought Odyssey would change the world but it’s a nebulous, confusing, boring game where I have to waste ages searching out challenges that are dull and easy. 

I cant believe they ported yet another shitty NSMB game to Switch but left this behind :(

It might be my hangover but this has left an actual bad taste in my mouth. 

• Upvote 1

I can relate to finding a lot of the challenges in Odyssey dull and easy, but there’s are so many packed into each world that it’s easily forgiven. 

I do really wish they’d bring this over, or better yet, give us a 3D World 2. 

Odyssey is amazing for the people who want that type of gameplay, where there's something interesting to do in any direction. It's similar to BOTW in that way, which I loved. But I don't want to go looking for challenges in a Mario game, I want them fed to me. I don't want to have to guess whether this will be challenging platforming, or boring platforming, or a puzzle, or terrible 2D levels, or a hat gimmick. I put the game on, wander about, get bored and give up after half an hour. I don't like the worlds or find them charming. It just doesn't do it for me, though it's obviously an excellent example of an exploration based platformer. I've just never really liked them.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, joffocakes said:

3D World disappointed me in hindsight relative to 3D Land because it wasnt as tightly-focused a challenge. A lot of it was made more forgiving to accommodate four players I guess. It hardly mattered at the time because it was so joyous and full of variety.

Yeah, looking back on it, that might very well be the reason why it didn't gel with me either.

Gave me hours of multiplayer fun with my kid though. So still a great game nonetheless.

Up to 72 stars now, have had to turn it off as it's a beautiful day outside and i'm indoors shouting 'fucking bollocks' at the tv. No level yet has been really hard, the majority of the time it's myself making stupid basic mistakes, but this has that wonderful just one more go pull.

Some really charming little touches too, such as the tiny scratches that appear on the walls briefly as you slide down them as a cat.

Have Galaxy 1 & 2 after this, have never played those either. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

• Upvote 3

Just got to the end of rainbow road in this and need an extra 20 stars for the last level. Cba with that! Had a great time with the game though. 

The very final level is excellent. I kinda wish the game had a longer run of difficult challenges, like 3D Land, but the variety of ideas across the game makes up for the overall lack of difficulty. 

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Just got to the end of rainbow road in this and need an extra 20 stars for the last level. Cba with that! Had a great time with the game though. 

Fucking get those stars and do that last level. That level alone ought to have your gaming time sorted near enough until Christmas! 

When I think back to 3D World, all I think of are the weeks of sadomasochistic pleasure I had wrestling with Champions Road when all else was said and done. That one level and all the hundreds of attempts at it may even be peak Mario for me.

Besides, how can you even leave a 3D Mario game with stars uncollected? :blink:

13 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Fucking get those stars and do that last level. That level alone ought to have your gaming time sorted near enough until Christmas! 

When I think back to 3D World, all I think of are the weeks of sadomasochistic pleasure I had wrestling with Champions Road when all else was said and done. That one level and all the hundreds of attempts at it may even be peak Mario for me.

Besides, how can you even leave a 3D Mario game with stars uncollected? :blink:

Is that every green star? I have about 499 wii games to get through! Il do it though just got 2 more :) 20 to go