rllmuk
rubberducker

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

I have to agree with the depth thing, but only in the absolute tiniest way possible. It is a problem, until you learn to account for it. This takes ... maybe 3 deaths, tops. If you are still jumping short of an enemy after the first level or two, then I'm afraid that's entirely down to you. (My biggest problem has always been with accidentally triggering the cat dive to my doom.) But, without once finding any kind of exploit, I was at 50+ up by world 4 anyway, so deaths weren't really a problem. A couple of the stars and stamps were tricky, but nothing before the final world should cause any grey hairs.

The stuff after that, though? HOLY CRAP!

Maybe it's irrational, maybe it's the depth thing killing me every sodding time I try to land on a goomba's head and fall just in front of it.

Have you tried moving the camera at all? There were one or two levels where I found the depth *slightly* trickier to gauge than others, but part of the reason for the cat suit is that it solves the problem of having to land on enemy heads in 3D space - which has been tricky in just about every non-2D Mario game, albeit least so in 3D Land because of the stereoscopy, the tighter controls and the more compact level design. Oh, and the tanooki suit.

And talking of which, if you've not got the cat suit here, the tanooki suit will do a similar job, while Peach's floaty jump allows you an extra second or so to adjust your landings while airborne. And if you've not got the tanooki suit or the cat suit? Just dodge them. I can't think of a single moment in the game where you absolutely have to bounce on a Goomba's head. It's not like you need to use them to reach higher platforms or anything.

I dunno, maybe the first three words of your post apply here. I'm genuinely baffled as to how you can be struggling if you haven't had issues with Mario games before.

• Upvote 2

Just about to go into World 6 and I'd say it's no different to any other 3D Mario - you can fluff the distance from time to time, but it's fine for the most part. I've enjoyed this more than any other 3D Mario title as well (so far).

Worlds 1-8 done completely! All flags, stars, stamps. Grumblump level was piece of piss second time through.

So I'm just trying to do THAT level! Did anyone do it using a tanooki suit or the cat suit, or just plain straight up Mario?

Sophie (8 years old) just asked me if i had done boss blitz, i don't think i have tried it - apparently it's quite hard and she ran out of time doing it but something about an order and she has done it.

She is now going back to get remaining stars and stamps - i don't know whether to be proud or to hand in my gaming licence!!

• Upvote 1

Get her posting on here. We'll soon destroy her love for gaming with our bitterness.

Completed everything in the first 5 world's of this and finished all the other levels with bits and pieces missing, but then got distracted by Rayman Legends. Reckon I'll go back tonight and start the mop up process.

So I'm just trying to do THAT level! Did anyone do it using a tanooki suit or the cat suit, or just plain straight up Mario?

Grumblump? Just Mario. It's actually pretty easy one you've got the timing right on running on the blocks.

Sophie (8 years old) just asked me if i had done boss blitz, i don't think i have tried it - apparently it's quite hard and she ran out of time doing it but something about an order and she has done it.

She is now going back to get remaining stars and stamps - i don't know whether to be proud or to hand in my gaming licence!!

Only difficult bit of Boss Blitz is beating the Hisstocrats quickly enough. All the bosses are easy, and beating the others quickly isn't hard, it's just there's some randomness to Hisstocrats that make it hard to do fast. One trick is to bounce off one onto the other (easier with Cat or Tanooki Mario) for a double hit.

yeah i been stuck on boss blitz for a while. the hisstocrats sometimes can take ages and i find if you dont get the cat suits then it makes the final boss a bit tricky. The other bosses are pretty easy. That t1000-jester thing is a pain in the ass if you havent got a lot of time to play with too.

think ive tried about 10 times (it's just annoying as it lasts a while replaying from the first boss each time).

I don't think I can stomach getting flags for every character so soon. I think I'll reserve that for subsequent future replays.

I suppose I should 100% NSMBU before that.

It doesn't ever get really hard. Difficulty isn't the reason the game is excellent.

There's a reasonably challenging final stage.

Is there a way of seeing who you've completed a level with? Almost got all the stars/stamps/flag poles so the gold stars are the next challenge...

Once you get all the stars flags and poles it then opens up and tells you who you've completed each level with.

• Upvote 1

Did anybody end up receiving the special slipcase from Game in the end?

I'd completely forgotten about it but no my slip case never arrived

Have got everything on the first eight world, stars, stamps and flagpoles.

Now to battle the other ones, I'm pretty sure I can get most easily as I was just more concerned with completing the levels first time round than getting everything!

This game is great.

Did anybody end up receiving the special slipcase from Game in the end?

Me either, and emails and twitter messages went unanswered.

Game Support and Twitter said they had enough for all the pre-orders but some went missing so they sent the spares out to whoever didn't receive them at release.

Which appeared to be everyone. So basically a complete cock up and terrible service from Game. A lesson learned about pre-ordering exclusive tat from them.

• Upvote 1

I seem to have missed some stamps. Is there a decent guide to find all the stamps on the map?

I've every green star, flag pole and stamp from the levels so I assume I'm missing some stamp houses. Think I'm missing 9 stamps in total, 5 will be from completing world crown with every character so where are the other 4?