rllmuk
rubberducker

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

It does, need to watch the dev interview also - loads more much better footage of the game than in the Nintendo direct!

It looks great, 3D Land was great so i predict this will be great!

(meow)

• Upvote 1

Me too. The dev interview really hammered home how they've built it from the ground up with four players in mind, which is slightly disappointing. I want me some rich single players.

Still looks lovely though.

anyone who says nintendo can't do HD? You need only look at this game and Mariokart to see how great their artists are.

the details is beautiful. from the puffs of dust as Mario runs - to the gentle shimmer of the grass.

i understand it doesn't seem as ambitious as Mario 64 or Galaxy - but in some way this could be the refined multiplayer 3D Mario we have been waiting for, for years.

It does look better than I originally thought but at first look it does have the standard Mario identikit feel, and how we've gone from true 3D of old to this is a real shame but it does look fun so maybe I wont be trading in the Wii U just yet.

I remember we all wanted the Fludd-less levels from Sunshine turned into a whole game well I guess this is pretty close to that.

I'm not interested in multiplayer Mario however, it's always been about the single player experience for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The new perspective should fix any camera issues. I'm looking forward to it as there looks to be a surfeit of throwaway ideas, as there are in all the best Marios.

Mario 64 and Galaxy are the pinnacles of 'Nintendo Magic'. Fresh, daring and ingenious.

Even when Galaxy 2 was announced, many reacted to it with surprise that Nintendo would treat this lineage to a direct sequel. Now the saviour of Wii U is a sequel of sorts to a handheld game. With everything else we know about Nintendo at the moment, it's only natural to look at it from a glass half-empty perspective.

I hope there are some levels where it's not quite a linear path to the end. Like maybe the flag pole is locked away right at the the start and you have to work your way up a mountain and then race back down on a Mario 64 style slide once you got the key from the top. Basically what I posted the other day in the Nintendo Direct thread

• Upvote 1

Mario 64 and Galaxy are the pinnacles of 'Nintendo Magic'. Fresh, daring and ingenious.

Even when Galaxy 2 was announced, many reacted to it with surprise that Nintendo would treat this lineage to a direct sequel. Now the saviour of Wii U is a sequel of sorts to a handheld game. With everything else we know about Nintendo at the moment, it's only natural to look at it from a glass half-empty perspective.

the saviour of the WiiU is an excellent line up of quality games between August and March, culminating in Mario Kart 8.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

if you look at the gameplay videos of Knack - this game looks so much more gorgeous.

i'm not suggesting wii u is as powerful as the new next gen boys - but i think there is more power under the hood than Nintendo let on.

EDGE have decided to put a few digs into the game saying that it's "reused assets" and suspects it was once a 3DS game. My reply is "Who the fuck cares?" if it plays good then why mention it? Assets are always reused in making games etc ss it saves development time.

They really have lost it have Edge. They have said some other misinformed rubbish today as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I feel like they've been down on the Wii U since well before the launch, in that they hardly did a 'launch issue' like I remember them doing for other machines. That's fine, it's up to them.

EDGE have decided to put a few digs into the game saying that it's "reused assets" and suspects it was once a 3DS game. My reply is "Who the fuck cares?" if it plays good then why mention it? Assets are always reused in making games etc ss it saves development time.

They really have lost it have Edge. They have said some other misinformed rubbish today as well.

Because it would be even better if played well and looked fresh?
  • Upvote 1

I remember we all wanted the Fludd-less levels from Sunshine turned into a whole game well I guess this is pretty close to that.

Galaxy 1 & 2 was very much that. Without restricting freedom (mostly in the first, at least)

Galaxy 1 & 2 was very much that. Without restricting freedom (mostly in the first, at least)

It really wasn't. Play the void levels again.

It really wasn't. Play the void levels again.

Granted if you wanted zero gravity involvement/zero switching from planet to planet then Galaxy doesn't fulfill that end, but from the pure unrestricted platforming side of things? Close enough.

Not what I was hoping for, but still looks pretty nice and great fun. Sure my wife and boy will find it easier to play than Galaxy... And multiplayer could be fun. Looks less chaotic than NSMB multiplayer.

Local multiplayer only?

Not what I was hoping for, but still looks pretty nice and great fun. Sure my wife and boy will find it easier to play than Galaxy... And multiplayer could be fun. Looks less chaotic than NSMB multiplayer.

Local multiplayer only?

According to Steve Boxer in the Guardian yesterday, it has online multiplayer:

Super Mario 3D World is also the first game in the franchise to support online play – up to four people can tackle levels co-operatively.

It's surprising me that nobody else seems to have picked up on it, though, so I'm wondering if perhaps Boxer was mistaken?