rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
hub2

Mario Kart 8

I get the different 3d view, but games have had split screen for 30 years, there are loads of tricks. Reduce resolution, polys slightly, increase FOV, im sure it would be doable. This being a company who puts the shittiest cheapest battery in the pad though to save 5p, forcing people to buy nyko extra capacity batteries if they want acceptable functionality. Ive never come across such a convoluted setup in videogaming as the Wii U.

It uses the gamepad, a pro pad, wiimotes, nunchuks, the virtual console pad, the 2nd iteration of that pad, and motion plus. So the 2 player mode could be 1 pro pad on the TV, 1 on gamepad. How about using a bundled Wii MK wheel with a wiimote on the tv, with player 2 on the pad using the pad. Its ridiculous. For a toy company, the wii has gone from a fun little pointy stick system, to a complete fucking disaster of options. They'd need to cater for so much shite control wise its unbelievable.

Sorry, but you're a fucking angry loon with no sense of perspective. Stop talking such angry bollocks. 'Forcing people to buy extra capacity batteries if they want acceptable functionality'. Really???

You really need to get out more.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

I googled the word and thought it was quite apt.

Not really, I appreciate that English isn't everyone's first language on this place though. Unless you're Dutch in which case you probably speak English better than me so shame on you ;)

'Forcing people to buy extra capacity batteries if they want acceptable functionality'.

While obviously people weren't forced, this bit is a reasonable point. The battery life on the pad isn't very good (no surprise, given the display) so I bought the 20-odd quid higher capacity version. When I opened the thing up and saw that the original battery was physically much smaller yet they'd left space specifically to fit the larger one in horizontally my first thought was "you robbing bastards, why didn't you just put the longer lasting one in given you've designed the pad for it?!"

It was almost like they were betting on most people not playing on it much.

Possibly true but it does seem to fit with the "most people won't notice anyway" line of thinking. And are they still making profit on hardware?

For a company that's supposed to be "good" it'd have been nice to not be short changed on what was one of the big differentiators for owning a Wii U, but they didn't there and they're arguably doing the same for MK8 too. It certainly wouldn't stop people wondering what's to stop them going cross platform if they're not able to make use of the plusses of their own hardware as is for their flagship releases such as this.

and I have no doubt that if the split screen isn't full detail and 60fps, that SozzlyJoe will whinge and whinge like a spoilt child.

Whoah, where did that come from? You're a nasty piece of work, man.

Maybe you want to take a look at yourself and wonder how my wish for decent gamepad multiplayer has triggered such a spiteful response?

It's been a while since I've been this excited about a Nintendo franchise, or any game for that matter. I feel like my younger self again, all giddy with excitement when I got my N64 with Mario Kart 64. I played that shit the entire day, just messin' about on Kalimari Desert, chasing the train and sadly having to take turns with my sisters. What a glorious day that was.

I mean just looks at this shit!

(dat music!)

If Nintendo are smart then they should do a season pass type deal with this. Buy the pass, get 3 or 4 packs filled with new or retro tracks. DO IT NINTENDO.

• Upvote 5

Nintendo haven't got an infinite amount of money to throw at this. And they also need it out sooner rather than later. Perhaps this has informed some of their choices. DLC and patches are a possibility if it starts selling some WiiUs for them. Although last night's Big Bang Theory was just an advert for the big 2 consoles and the Wii (not even WiiU)relegated to a punch line so it's not got much chance.

Visually they have just hit this out of the park haven't they. Utterly perfect given the current hardware imo.

They really need to get this on a couple of huge screens in major town centres and run some competitions. On looks alone and the percieved fun factor it'll hook people.

As an aside this puts to shame Smash Bros visually imo. For their other 'big' title it looks remarkably flat and dull. Characters look muted and rough and backgrounds lack clarity and the design of something like a Streetfighter. This MK goes to show what the WiiU can do if it has the artists to do it justice. Just superlative stuff from their internal team.

That Mario Circuit video is amazing. I can't imagine Mario Kart ever looking any better than that. It just looks perfect. The tracks look about the right width, the racing looks spot on, and shortcuts are all there.

Can't wait.

I hope its not 150cc in the videos but yeah it looks spectacular. Hoping they bundle it with a boxed copy.

The thing I noticed in the video is how much track you can see... Not sure if they've changed the angle a bit but it seems as though you can really far ahead and plan accordingly.

Can't

Wait

Visually they have just hit this out of the park haven't they. Utterly perfect given the current hardware imo.

They really need to get this on a couple of huge screens in major town centres and run some competitions. On looks alone and the percieved fun factor it'll hook people.

As an aside this puts to shame Smash Bros visually imo. For their other 'big' title it looks remarkably flat and dull. Characters look muted and rough and backgrounds lack clarity and the design of something like a Streetfighter. This MK goes to show what the WiiU can do if it has the artists to do it justice. Just superlative stuff from their internal team.

To be fair, that's a cross-platform title.

But yeah I'd rather had Smash to be a WiiU -only game as well. Would've probably made it look a lot nicer.

The thing I noticed in the video is how much track you can see... Not sure if they've changed the angle a bit but it seems as though you can really far ahead and plan accordingly.

Can't

Wait

less reason to hide pop up they can change the design

It looks great. Could be the game that makes me get a U.

Incidentally, why is the music on mariokart so poor compared to other mario games? To me that background music is horrendously bad.

• Upvote 1

Did you call the DS the Nitro then? Or are you using 'WUP' rather than 'Gamepad' (which, you know, is its name) in order to try to appear somehow more knowledgeable?

I did in reference to explaining the term WUP, but in all honesty, I just use it because I can't be arsed to type Wii U GamePad every bloody time, and don't like any other shorthand, it also happens to be the product code ironically, not quite sure what it is short for however, while I do know what NTR is short for, and explained it. If that is considered somehow attempting to appear more knowledgable, whatever, I know some of you lot are rather sensitive about things, and look for implications where there are none :)

You need me to school you on the idea that the Wii U can't put out anything above 854x480 @ 60 fps on both the the main display and the Gamepad at the same time? Really? It's such a mental idea that I can't even begin to think you actually believe it yourself. The game the system launched with on day one was doing it for a start.

Basically what this reply states:

No, I think he's saying that Mario Kart 8 would need to do that (not other games or in general, without sacrificing the fidelity of the graphics), since it can currently do two viewpoints in splitscreen at 720p/60. To get the equivalent split across two screens, you'd have to subtract the resolution of the pad from that of the TV.

And as a further realworld example, here is what Uncharted 3, from those lazy untalented devs at Naughty Dog had to do to get 2 screens rendered at the same time, 2 x 896x504 is less than the normal 2D resolution of 1280x720, and they still couldn't maintain 30fps, even with the downgraded graphics:

There are compromises - we're fairly sure that the 896x504 per eye resolution from the beta is retained, though pre-rendered movies for the single-player mode get a boost to 1024x576. Environmental detail is pared back in places, LODs are a touch more intrusive and heavy scenes can see a 4-5FPS drop in frame-rate. Aside from some extra input lag when the engine is being taxed, the overall experience in single-player is quite remarkable - and most of the issues we had with the 3D mode (most notably clipping) from the multiplayer beta appear to have been resolved.

I have to remind myself to put a whole load of addendum to any post in fanboy waters in future, instead of naturally expecting people of any intelligence to be able to work out what I am saying without taking everything literally and then showing me how 'wrong' I am ;)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Nintendo games are the best games.

I have to say, this looks stunning. The Wii U, whilst being the underdog console that everyone kicks currently has a suite of games that knocks spots off the Bone and PS4. Yeah, that situation will change as the big boys roll out their AAA titles, but if Nintendo continue to churn out quality titles like this I - and I imagine a great many others - will be happy as a lark.

Theyre not churning them out though thats the point. Mario Kart looks spectacular but then what? Their output is incredibly sparse and theyve fucked over every third party theyve worked with.

• Upvote 5

Theyre not churning them out though thats the point. Mario Kart looks spectacular but then what?

Sonic Boom!

• Upvote 1

Theyre not churning them out though thats the point. Mario Kart looks spectacular but then what? Their output is incredibly sparse and theyve fucked over every third party theyve worked with.

Smash Bros oughta be out this year, as well as Bayonetta 2, and I guess they'll announce something else due by christmas at E3. Hopefully a new Kuru Kuru Kururin.

True. Smash Bros ive no interest in as its fighting, Bayo 2 pretty much the same. Their schedule is insanely barren, i dont know how Iwata is still in a job. It'll be a Mariokart only machine for me, that is unless they pull another Metroid out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have to remind myself to put a whole load of addendum to any post in fanboy waters in future, instead of naturally expecting people of any intelligence to be able to work out what I am saying without taking everything literally and then showing me how 'wrong' I am ;)

The problem was you posted something on the face of it that seemed to be betraying a misconception on your part (that gamepad and TV res had to be the same) and when questioned on it you did not take the chance to clarify but started talking about how that was how splitscreen worked. I mean, it was possible maybe you don't own a Wii U and were genuinely confused on the matter? But no, turns out we weren't meant to take you literally? You are the author of your own misfortune in this instance, I fear.

• Upvote 1