Radish

Tom Clancy's The Division

The gunplay looks like it's got the same understated sharpness that Rainbow Six: Vegas had, this is a good thing. Most cover shooters, even the current Tom Clancy ones, are quite 'wooly' feeling.

It's partly the lack of pyrotechnics combined with sensible environmental damage, I love Max Payne-esque excess as much as the next guy but it's nice to see something a bit more grounded again. Everything's been in full-on bombast mode for a while now.

Tom Clancy's style only seems a bit generic and bland now

LOL, nice try. They've always been generic and bland - and I say that as someone who likes several Rainbow Six games and AWF 1/2. Clancy Games are pretty much the definition of generic and bland stylistically, visually, story wise and so on.

Yeah, saying they have charm fails a bit when your defence is just describing the gameplay of old Tom Clancy games, rather than anything that actually gives that gameplay personality.

This looks like DMZ, the comic.

I love messed up cities. Zombie outbreaks, pandemics, nukes, future dystopia. I spent my time in Remember Me walking rather than running so I could drink it in.

It'll be interesting when we get more info about how the MMO and open world aspects work.

• Upvote 1

Part of the "OH SHIT SON" reaction for me is that it has survival features like Day Z - requiring food and water with a big open world to explore with the risk of PVP. And on top of that it's probably going to have a lot of polish, skill trees, loot and solid shooting mechanics. In theory it's close to my dream game.

Side note, are there actually infected? I don't recall seeing any (was the guy moving past the window right at the start of the gameplay vid infected?) so I'm not sure.

And I agree with Flub, for me there is charm to be had in this sort of game world.

Yeah, saying they have charm fails a bit when your defence is just describing the gameplay of old Tom Clancy games, rather than anything that actually gives that gameplay personality.

You didn't read what I said about R6. Wasn't it like X-Com? Like with named soldiers who you trained, and perma-death when they got killed? Pretty sure it was. I felt that gave it a lot of personality.

Part of the "OH SHIT SON" reaction for me is that it has survival features like Day Z - requiring food and water with a big open world to explore with the risk of PVP. And on top of that it's probably going to have a lot of polish, skill trees, loot and solid shooting mechanics. In theory it's close to my dream game.

That stuff sounds interesting. All I'm saying is that the shootbangs are fine but not amazing, that's all.

I couldn't get *very* excited about what we saw.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, the shooting didn't look amazing but depending on how the games designed it may not be a huge factor. Sure, there's going to be some shooting and there will be gung ho people that go all out, but in an interview the managing director said he wants to change how console players see shooters and part of that is through gadgets and stealth gameplay. It's possible that you won't shoot as much as we expect and if we do then they may not be huge firefights, but shorter and more intense battles with a bigger significance on skills, positioning and awareness of the terrain.

That's probably all bollocks though.

Yeah the game itself might be more interesting what with the MMO co-op aspect, but on the basis of what we actually saw it was just standard third person cover shooting.

Absolutely GORGEOUS cover shooting mind, but still.

Yeah, it's a standard no impact Ghost Recon type trailer. The beauty is that slightly dull or repetitive gameplay can be totally transformed for me if it's placed within the right infrastructure.

LOL, nice try. They've always been generic and bland - and I say that as someone who likes several Rainbow Six games and AWF 1/2. Clancy Games are pretty much the definition of generic and bland stylistically, visually, story wise and so on.

Chaos Theory was far from bland, it looked beautiful and the art direction was beautiful in some levels.

• Upvote 1

I watched the video for this last night without realising it was an MMO. I thought it was single player for a few minutes at least and was sitting there thinking "Brave choice of voice actors. They really sound a bit too laid back and normal... " :doh:

If you consider that last gen's launch Tom Clancy game was GRAW, this looks potentially much more ambitious. I was really disappointed with how simplistic GRAW turned out to be, despite its amazing visuals.

Ubisoft are on a roll at the moment, this looks amazing & it's a new IP :)

Possibly game of the show or are we still giving that to Watch_Dogs?

Well yeah, I see games as more about gameplay features than about stories or characters - so "charming" for me represents the features and concepts that attract me to a game. In the case of Ubi's Tom Clancy games, this means the strategy stuff in Rainbow 6, the picture-in-picture stuff in GRAW, the ability to abseil and do breach entries in multiplayer in Vegas, stuff like the fibre-optic camera in the original Splinter Cell or the in-world markers in the recent Splinter Cell games... From that line of reasoning I find them very charming.

If "charming" to you means strong named characters or fantastic plots in steampunk universes, then that's fine - I like those kinds of things too from time-to-time - but sometimes I want to buy a game with a thin, quite bland story premise that just has cool stuff to do, and from that perspective, I think Ubi have done pretty well with the whole brand.

• Upvote 2

I like the looks of this, but it being an MMO puts me off a little. I can't stand online shooters due mostly to my own ineptitude, so if this is entirely filled with other people I may have to regrettably have to leave it.

For a game with supposedly amazing visuals, why has nobody put up some screenshots? diminishing returns and no jump in full effect in these shots. Getting much closer to photorealism, no interest in it though, online shooter, too much effort required.

wpAQL5u.jpg

nd88wvI.jpg

SKokKPO.jpg

• Upvote 3

Looks fantastic, UI might be a bit marmite, narrative tone seems.....typically clancy.

I'll be interested to see how that's handled. On the face of it, it does seem a bit 'blah blah house of cards' (which is absolutely correct), and then casts you as someone trying to restore everything just how it was. Which seems kind of silly.

Wow, those screenshots are impressive. This wasn't even on my radar but the vaguely Day Z structure sounds very intriguing. I'll watch that video later

If anyone wants to see this in action from a very nice quality direct feed 1080p video, this site has put it up for download, I've changed my mind, this game looks really quite interesting actually, do need regular people to play with to make it work properly, the team based co-op gameplay and RPG element and clashes against rival human teams looks great :) It looks as good in motion as it does in those screenshots which are all pulled from the same gameplay demo too. the lighting really does push it to the next level.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_the_division_images_and_gameplay-14153_en.html

Absolutely stunning.

Is this going to be a release game or its pencilled in for 2014?

Just watched some more of this and with the RPG elements it comes into my sphere of interest.

I'm a sucker for co-op 3rd person shooters, and i'm a massive graphics whore, so this is the one game from E3 that got my immediate attention.

I stuck the screenshots in the first post, they just hadn't released any when I made the topic. I still can't believe how pretty it is. I wish The Last of Us was coming out on the next gen.

Really wish this was coming out in 2013 as well. Watch Dogs will look just as nice but I don't find the premise quite as interesting.