IGNORED

Sony confirm you will need a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online on PS4

cantonarv

PC manages fine.

There's still a cost; its just covered by dedicated comapnies and people running servers etc as opposed to one company. I.e. like PS3 works now. Problem is, its too flakey for the average console gamer. Especially when compared to the Live model. It's a no brainer if you want to make online play a central component.

The only thing I'd be a little bit gutted about is losing things like Autolog and highscore tables, I'm really not too bothered about playing online.

However, I already have PS+ and don't intend to stop that anytime soon. In fact have been musing over getting a Vita because of PS+ so it should work out okay for me.

I don't care, paying for a service is fine by me, but Chris Hecker makes a good point:

It's unfortunate and shortsighted that both Sony and MS are charging for multiplayer now. Pretty much means another generation of add-on MP.

Do we think that all PS4 PS+ games will be these specially created versions then? I mean at the moment they're giving out the whole game which is great but they can't start giving out free PS4 games from the off so separating out the multiplayer segment for specific games and giving us those would be the smart move for Sony. They are already splitting Multi and Solo games on PSN so they're half way there.

Do we think that all PS4 PS+ games will be these specially created versions then? I mean at the moment they're giving out the whole game which is great but they can't start giving out free PS4 games from the off so separating out the multiplayer segment for specific games and giving us those would be the smart move for Sony. They are already splitting Multi and Solo games on PSN so they're half way there.

It's a possibility in the beginning, a nice little way to build up a game collection and like you say it could be a smart move.

Well, and at the same time said how shite it is compared to Live when ot comes to actually playing games online. As a PS Plus subscriber it makes no odds to me, but I would be pleased of some investment on the infrastructure for online play on PS4 .

This is a myth.

There's still a cost; its just covered by dedicated comapnies and people running servers etc as opposed to one company. I.e. like PS3 works now. Problem is, its too flakey for the average console gamer. Especially when compared to the Live model. It's a no brainer if you want to make online play a central component.

Flaky?

I played Portal 2 online the other week. Pressed about two buttons on the controller and was in a game, online, with no effort.

Peer-to-peer gameplay really shouldn't be an extra charge. I very rarely play games online, I tend to just dabble here and there, so this is a barrier for entry that will likely keep me away on consoles. I accept it's no big deal for people already invested in PS+, though.

You've got to assume that some journalists are asking Rushy this afternoon what "Driveclub PS+ Edition" means, and how it's distinguished - for a primarily online game - from "Driveclub" or "a Driveclub Online Demo" - if at all.

Actually, if it's a Driveclub Online Demo, exclusively for people who are paying for PS+ in order to get access to online multiplayer, then that's an almost Microsoft/Polyphony Digital level of repackaged...

PS+ on the PS3 is great because there's a huge back catalogue of games they can dish out. It won't be the same on the PS4 will it? Not until they get the Gaikai streaming working. It'll probably start off just is XBL is now.

I'm starting to think that Gaikai is its own thing altogether - The way they packaged it during the presentation is that PS4 will be effectively bolted onto the existing subscription plan, with each of them doing their own thing while operating under one banner just like how Vita was introduced. So, in EU (without counting special promotions):

PS3: Three annual games, One Game of the Month, Six games in rotation (Three games per month)

Vita: Two annual games, Two games per month

PS4: One annual game, One game per month

Although personally, if I was Sony, it would really be a good idea at this point to start offering PS1/PS2 Classics again as well as Cross-Play titles, as and when they become available for the PS4. IGC's a vehicle to promote a really strong brand across all the platforms available, so being able to pull something along the lines of the following would be great PR:

'In celebration of Final Fantasy XV's latest trailer, this month we'll also be offering the incredible Final Fantasy VII as part of our Playstation Plus catalogue. And remember, as it's a PSOne Classic, you'll be able to enjoy this fantastic genre-defining RPG on ANY of our Playstation Family products. Be it on the best home console we provide, or on the go though our popular Playstation Vita console, you can be certain that there's No Hurdles, Just Games.'

drop mic, leave. rinse and repeat until Gaikai is up and running.

There are PS owners who don't already subscribe to Plus? Why would anybody do that? Every single month, I get dragged closer to buying myself a Vita, purely because of the library I will already have access to once I get one.

Yup, this was the way I saw things when it was announced. I was sad at the thought of Online Multiplayer going behind a pay wall, until I realised I'm paying for Plus already when the existing PSN is totally free (and from reading between the lines, it should remain that way for anything other than PS4 games). IGC is a service that already holds value for me personally across the systems I own, and as long as it remains that way, I have absolutely no qualms about paying - whether Sony wants to justify it for the additional server power required for this generation or not.

The reason people don't care about this is that a good chunk of them are xbox converts who are already accustomed to paying for online multiplayer. That said, I do sympathise with people who chose PS3 specifically for the free online multiplayer, although I would point out that from an xbox 360 owner's perspective, what they're offering with PS+ is crazy value - and hopefully it goes some way to pacifying publishers and developers, as one would hope at least some of that subscription revenue was finding its way back to them.

Yeah, the "free games" thing is a big pull for PSPlus. The problem with Live wasn't that they charged for a service, it was that they charged for peer-to-peer multiplayer, which makes very little sense. Microsoft only ran matchmaking servers, which most PC games do for free as it isn't expensive to do - you're talking pennies a month for each player (older games like Counterstrike: Source used to recoup that cost with the adverts they played on the game's loading screen).

We didn't complain at the time because it was implied Microsoft would be doing dedicated servers for games like Halo 3 on 360, but that never materialised. That being said, they have said they're doing it for next gen.

In Sony's case, if they're putting together a service that merits payment, then I've no problem with paying them - and it seems like they are (I just subbed to PSPlus for the first time today).

As I said in the conference thread, I dislike that they're putting multiplayer behind a paywall but at the same time I think everyone that owns a PS3 and/or a Vita should sign up to Plus as it's a great service. My objection is more idealogical than practical.

I suppose one possible silver lining is that publishers — including Sony — are going to have a harder time justifying online passes with both the PS4 and Xbox One charging for online pay.

There are PS owners who don't already subscribe to Plus? Why would anybody do that?

In my case, it would cost me more than what I actually spend on games in a year. I think I bought two PS3 games in 2012, totalling something like £20. And I don't have a Vita (yet).

(Since you asked.)

I don't sub. I'm one of the few on my friends list who doesn't. It's pretty just my Demons Souls and bluray player, apart from the very occasional exclusive like Uncharted. I will be getting The Last of Us on Friday though.