A Star Wars Question

twinklyspangle

All the better because Ford kind of improvised it - he wanted it to sound like he was genuinely making it up on the spot so he didn't bother learning his lines and made stuff up around the general theme of what he was supposed to say.

"George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it"

There's a bit on the Episode 1 making-of on the DVD (which is well worth watching as it's astoundingly candid) where an oblivious George is boasting about how he can now cut and paste performers from one scene to another and to different areas of the screen like those peel-on/peel-of sticker books you used to get as a kid. He's so damn proud of it and all I could think of watching it is that so much of what's great in films comes from actors' interactions and chemistry with each other. Terence Stamp tells a story (not on the DVD) of how one of the reasons he took the Episode 1 gig was because he admired and wanted to work with Natalie Portman, on his first day he turned up on the set (which was a giant green screen) and asked "Where's Natalie?" only to be pointed to a ping-pong ball on a stick.

Yeah, it's telling that while Lucas was divorcing actors from the necessary gravity of human relationships, treating their performances as digital assets, and ending up with the prequels resembling (bad) video games, people within videogames who understood the medium of cinema and had a desire to make game narratives as compelling as those of film started with mo-cap and moved in the opposite direction from George. Ending up this year, of course, with the fantastically affecting performances (and script) of The Last Of Us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqnTC0Rt51s

(Bit long, but has some great sections where the importance of the actors working naturally together is illustrated beautifully. And it'll probably be taken down off YouTube soon enough anyway.)

It's odd to see scripting, acting and performance in a videogame - the definition of a chroma key environment - being so superior not just in its effect, but in its faithfulness to the traditions of acting and drama in general, to that of a major project by an established director. Of course, The SW prequels are sadly far from alone in this movement toward the diminution of character and coherence in the movies, but it's really odd to see an experienced filmmaker with such a range of well-loved characters available to him forget about them altogether and screw his series up totally in a crazy obsession with the technical possibilities of CGI. I don't think Lucas has ever been much of a 'people person' really, and the financial success of the SW trilogy seems to have just set him off into the fantasy land of a techno fetishist. The prequels are basically a nightmare of unchecked geek indulgence.

John Williams' Duel of the Fates is the best thing about the prequels, on par musically with the best of his work for the original trilogy. I struggle to think of another redeeming feature.

Yeah, it’s really good. I love bits like Terence Stamp getting the role of ‘The King of the Universe’, and Lucas’ mad presents. In fact, all of Herring’s Leicester Square podcasts are good, especially the David Mitchell and the Adam Buxton ones (and the Stephen Fry one that hit the news recently).

John Williams' Duel of the Fates is the best thing about the prequels, on par musically with the best of his work for the original trilogy. I struggle to think of another redeeming feature.

Most of the prequel music is pretty good. Whenever one of the tracks rolls round at random on my player (as I can see "Anakin and Padme" is going to in a few songs' time) I'm torn between enjoying it (and the musical links to the original trilogy) and holding my head in my hands remembering the awful scenes the music scored (and "Anakin and Padme" is a perfect example of that).

I often think John Williams put more thought into the prequels' music than George Lucas did into their stories, scripts, direction etc.

Yeah, its really good. I love bits like Terence Stamp getting the role of The King of the Universe, and Lucas mad presents. In fact, all of Herrings Leicester Square podcasts are good, especially the David Mitchell and the Adam Buxton ones (and the Stephen Fry one that hit the news recently).

Interesting stuff from Serafinowicz, but man...that's about the 5th attempt I've given Richard Herring lately and he just gets worse. Such an annoying, unfunny man.

Yeah, I can see why people find him annoying. I like a lot of his stuff, but he does come across as a bit lazy (despite the sheer amount of stuff he puts out) because he never really works or develops anything as much as he could. Some of the RHLSTP interviews are great - like Charlie Brooker, or surprisingly Russell Brand - but some are a bit poor, like the Edgar Wright one where it's more like Herring is interviewing himself.

He is a pretty good interviewer though, and the ramshackle nature of the interview means the guests frequently seem to relax and come out with some really funny stuff.

Yeah, I want to like him which is why I keep trying, and obviously loved Fist of Fun etc. But the Collins and Herring podcast was unlistenable, and his interview style is ok if the interviewee "gets" him (all that "put a Shrek in it" stuff), and utterly embarrassing if they don't. And he constantly corpses mid sentence at things that aren't funny, almost like a nervous tic.

That said, I'm enjoying the Adam Buxton one right now.

The Adam Buxton one is probably my favourite, as Buxton and Herring sort of inhabit the same comedy niche in that they’re former members of much-loved double acts where one has gone on to relatively massive success and the other one has repeatedly bollocksed up every opportunity they’ve had to hit the big time. They both seem pretty relaxed, and Buckles’ anecdotes about the Adam & Joe show and his audition for The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy are jaw-dropping.

Peter Serafinowicz was on Richard Herring's podcast a while back, and he has some pretty good stories about working on The Phantom Menace, and about how Lucas was a bit rubbish and a cheapskate:

https://soundcloud.com/britishcomedyguide/richard-herring-lst-podcast-12-peter-serafinowicz

The Star Wars stuff begins at about 14.45, it's well worth a listen.

Proper laughing at the stencil set..

• 1 month later...

Did Twinkly ever get round to watching these?

If not, a word of caution. My boys decided they wanted to watch all the Star Wars films the other week. They've seen them all before at various times but never really followed the story - they just liked the lightsabres, spaceships, robots etc. But now they actually wanted to follow the story all the way through so I though this would be the perfect time to try out Machete Order.

Star Wars - brilliant! They loved it!

Empire - even better! When can we watch the next one?

Attack of the Clones - ...

They now have no interest at all in continuing. Ep 2 has killed their enthusiasm. I've been offering to skip Revenge and go straight to Return (so we could all pretend the prequels never happened) but they just don't want to.

The prequels are TOXIC. Stick to the originals.

My 3yr old son has recently been loving Star Wars in a big way. We've now watched all six films numerous times (the first time was in date of release order) and although he enjoys a lot of the action set pieces in the prequels we have had to fast forward a lot of the "boring talking bits".

Some of the prequel characters are genuinely pretty cool (General Grievous, Darth Maul, my son loves the battle droids), it's just a shame about the plot and diaglogue...

If not, a word of caution. My boys decided they wanted to watch all the Star Wars films the other week. They've seen them all before at various times but never really followed the story - they just liked the lightsabres, spaceships, robots etc. But now they actually wanted to follow the story all the way through so I though this would be the perfect time to try out Machete Order.

They now have no interest at all in continuing. Ep 2 has killed their enthusiasm. I've been offering to skip Revenge and go straight to Return (so we could all pretend the prequels never happened) but they just don't want to.

this is an utter tragedy...

General Grievous was so shit it made my brain bleed.

Hey lightsabres are cool, lets stick four of them on a coughing robot and make them spin round.

ffs

General Grevious was cool as in the clone wars cartoon where Samuel Jackson fucked him up and gave him a bad cough.

You forgot to mention your boys are 37