A Star Wars Question

twinklyspangle

Episode 3 was on some channel or another this afternoon. I stumbled across it when channel hopping. It was that bit where Obi-Wan Kenobi has to sneak into the enemy camp, so he decides a giant CGI lizard that emits loud honks is the ideal form of transport. That was all I could take before I switched it over again.

I watched a bit of Episode 3 on TV yesterday, and the dialogue blew my mind.

OBI WAN: The emperor is evil!

ANAKIN: From my perspective, the Jedi are evil!

I mean, WTF. How did anyone allow that ‘from my perspective’ to remain in the script? It’s like one of George Lucas’ character notes that got mistakenly transcribed as dialogue, and was left in the script either because it was exactly as shit as every other line of dialogue and nobody noticed, or because people noticed but nobody gave a fuck any more.

I watched a bit of Episode 3 on TV yesterday, and the dialogue blew my mind.

OBI WAN: The emperor is evil!

ANAKIN: From my perspective, the Jedi are evil!

I mean, WTF. How did anyone allow that ‘from my perspective’ to remain in the script? It’s like one of George Lucas’ character notes that got mistakenly transcribed as dialogue, and was left in the script either because it was exactly as shit as every other line of dialogue and nobody noticed, or because people noticed but nobody gave a fuck any more.

I think that is in there to echo old Obi-Wan's "...from a certain point-of-view..." comment from ROTJ. But yeah, just another awful line in a film full of them.

I sat down to watch Episode 3 as well on Sunday and it burned my brain, and it's regarded as the "good" one of the Trilogy. It was so bad, even worse than I remembered it. Horrible , just horrible. I tried to find ONE redeeming feature and failed.

I quite enjoyed Yoda's brilliant plan to attack the evil Sith Lord in the middle of his base of power and barely escape with his life, resulting in one of the worst CGI sequences ever committed to hard drive. At least it meant more Jimmy Smits, who I'm a bit obsessed with after his appearance as a sexy mexican in Sons Of Anarchy.

Also, at the end the Emperor and Daft Vader meet an actor portraying Peter Cushing so they can glower ominously at the Death Star under construction. Assuming that Luke is supposed to be at least 16 in Star Wars, does this mean that the original Death Star took 16 years to build and the second one something like a year? Did they massively improve their wonder construction times by researching Mass Production or something?

Its easy to bash the prequels, you can do a hatchet job on any of the old ones aswell, ok ill do it

TESB, when DV guesses where the Base is, they attack it with meandering 4 legged robots who then let Luke escape off the planet with no trouble who then lands on a entire planet but manages to find the exact place where a jedi master is and then DV then again guesses where the MF is going as he's made a deal before the MF has even arrived anywhere, then Boba Fett walks off only with Solo, but looks pissed off in the next film when someone brings Chewie to Jabba before he did

I think it might depend if you want to dislike something before you've watched it

Construction logistics:

At the end of RotS, the Empire doesn't exist as such, they only just staged a military coup of the Republic, so resources will be limited during a time of aggressive expansion requiring large amounts of military forces and materiel. In RotJ, the Empire already covers almost all of known space, so it will have been a lot easier to channel greater resources, (slave) labour, etc to building a new DS the moment the prototype blew up.

Its easy to bash the prequels, you can do a hatchet job on any of the old ones aswell, ok ill do it

The old films are in no way perfect, but they are beloved classics that still stand up now as pretty damn good films, never mind how awesome they were at the time.

However the prequels literally have nothing to recommend them, they are (as I said earlier) so bad they actually detract from the originals.

The fact that a film made in the 70's still beats the piss out of them is pretty damming.

I thought that the Empire find the base because they detect the shield protecting it and because they can't shoot through it from orbit, they have to go down to Hoth with the AT-ATs to reach the base from the ground.

Vader dispatched lots of those floating spider drone robot things across the galaxy to discover the base - he didn't guess where the base was. GAWD.

Oh and he doesn't guess the Falcon is going to Cloud City, Boba Fett follows the Falcon when it escapes.

I've just found these deleted scenes from RoTS. Although the CGI is unfinished, and there's a lot of political waffle, there is some key pieces of dialogue such as the discussion of forming a rebel alliance with Mon Mothma that would have helped link things a bit better. Also the Jedi murder scene here certainly gives General Bronchitis a bit more of the menacing factor...

Also, no idea how all that coded eyebrow stroking and moustache twitching got past the script editors into actual takes. :facepalm:

Ok, but how they get there first? And undetected?

Boba Fett followed them, and knowing their course, and that their Hyperdrive was out, must have known they were heading to Bespin, cloud City, which is administered by a known associate of Solo's. Seeing as Fett's ship, and any imperial ship he'd care to communicate with have working hyperdrives, they could be at Bespin long before the Falcon limps there. The journey could have taken days if not weeks without a hyperdrive. The length of time for the journey isn't shown too well, admittedly, but it's concurrent with the time Luke spends training.

Ok, but how they get there first? And undetected?

IIRC, all we know is this:

It is a dark time for the

Rebellion. Although the Death

Star has been destroyed,

Imperial troops have driven the

Rebel forces from their hidden

base and pursued them across

the galaxy.

Evading the dreaded Imperial

Starfleet, a group of freedom

fighters led by Luke Skywalker

has established a new secret

base on the remote ice world

of Hoth.

The evil lord Darth Vader,

obsessed with finding young

Skywalker, has dispatched

thousands of remote probes into

the far reaches of space....

They don't go into the logistics.

Vader dispatched lots of those floating spider drone robot things across the galaxy to discover the base - he didn't guess where the base was. GAWD.

Oh and he doesn't guess the Falcon is going to Cloud City, Boba Fett follows the Falcon when it escapes.

He got a 'lead' on the location, but nothing definitive

I know Boba Fett follows them but they hadn't even landed there yet so he would have had to stop following them, guess where they're going, get there before they do, contact DV who again would have to get there before the MF and speak to Lando about something that might not even happen

Boba Fett followed them, and knowing their course, and that their Hyperdrive was out, must have known they were heading to Bespin, cloud City, which is administered by a known associate of Solo's. Seeing as Fett's ship, and any imperial ship he'd care to communicate with have working hyperdrives, they could be at Bespin long before the Falcon limps there. The journey could have taken days if not weeks without a hyperdrive. The length of time for the journey isn't shown too well, admittedly, but it's concurrent with the time Luke spends training.

did they hide the SUPER STAR DESTROYER behind some clouds?

wait, are we using spoiler tags in the star wars thread?

did they hide the SUPER STAR DESTROYER behind some clouds ?

In orbit around Bespin presumably. Vader asks for his shuttle to come and get him when he wants to leave. And I'm not even going to get into why they felt they needed to change that line. Angry Vader becomes polite Vader.

That always makes me laugh -after the no disintegrations bounty hunter pep-talk, Boba Fett instructs some imperial lackeys to throw his ship into the trash. Wait! Let me get in first. Ok now throw me away.

He got a 'lead' on the location, but nothing definitive

Well I'm not going to dig out the film, but I'm pretty sure the probe spots some part of the base. So yes, it's a "lead", but it's not as if Vader threw a dart at a map of the galaxy.

I know Boba Fett follows them but they hadn't even landed there yet so he would have had to stop following them, guess where they're going, get there before they do, contact DV who again would have to get there before the MF and speak to Lando about something that might not even happen

...or Fett could have followed them, got to a point where he could make an educated guess about their destination, given the direction, Solo's known haunts and acquaintances, etc you know, doing a bit of bounty hunting...

It wouldn't have been movie magic if Vader had turned up but Solo didn't.

...or Fett could have followed them, got to a point where he could make an educated guess about their destination, given the direction, Solo's known haunts and acquaintances, etc you know, doing a bit of bounty hunting...

It wouldn't have been movie magic if Vader had turned up but Solo didn't.

Broken hyperdrive, only system within range. Days/weeks of travel crawling through space.