A Star Wars Question

twinklyspangle

Yeah some of the sabre fights are good. But that in no way makes up for the rest and the fact that it actually detracts from Star Wars as a whole.

Overall, better to just watch the first three and leave it unsullied.

Plus, it's been said before (by me and others), a good duel is more about dialogue and emotion than it is about prancing around doing fancy twirls. I mean sure they look pretty with lots of glowing reds and greens and shit but there's no substance behind them other than two dudes hitting each other. The prequels are nearly all physical battles, whereas the better ones are those that play on the emotional and psychological aspects of the characters. I'll take

(spoilered in case twinkyspanglerwangle is still reading the thread)

Luke losing it and going bat shit mental at Vadar when he taunts him about Leia over any of the prequel sabre fights, any day. In fact I'll even take Obiwan vs Vadar over them. Obi knows exactly what he's doing in that battle, and even if he had the hips to go all spinning kick on Vadar's arse he wouldn't, he was biding time, letting the others escape.

Even the climactic Obi vs Anakin battle is largely a visual experience. I mean that bit where they are just standing there twirling their sabres at each other for what seems like minutes! oh my :lol:

just watch them in chronological order

never mind about the prequel naysayers, they are fine

I was actually rooting for you you know? You can forget ANY support or kind words or anything from me 4 ever. Fuck me. That is one of the worst posts ever.

The prequels have nothing of worth in them. Nothing.at.all. They are totally devoid of any charm or substance. Even the designs and costumes and aliens are all terrible. Wait, the new astromech droids are cool. And that's it. They are so unbelievably bad, it's incomprehensible.

Watch 4, 5, 6. And then watch Mr. Plinkett's reviews of the prequels. You will want the original trilogy in it's un-meddled with form. They are only available on VHS, LaserDisc and these DVD's here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-IV-Hope-Limited/dp/B000FMH8UI/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1371123033&sr=1-7&keywords=star+wars

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Empire-Strikes-Limited/dp/B000FMH8US/ref=sr_1_11?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1371123033&sr=1-11&keywords=star+wars

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-VI-Return-Limited/dp/B000FMRYNE/ref=sr_1_10?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1371123033&sr=1-10&keywords=star+wars

The shittiness of George Lucas knows no bounds, so he has fucked up the original trilogy with ridiculous edits and additions.

Mr. Plinkett will do a good job of explaining to you why the prequels suck.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

I watched them all recently (chronological order, sorry, but I've seen them all before), and I noticed that the originals looked a lot better (actual cameras, actual locations!) but found Ep 4 was a lot shallower than I remember, and a bit of a hand-wave plot wise.

Plus, it's been said before (by me and others), a good duel is more about dialogue and emotion than it is about prancing around doing fancy twirls. I mean sure they look pretty with lots of glowing reds and greens and shit but there's no substance behind them other than two dudes hitting each other. The prequels are nearly all physical battles, whereas the better ones are those that play on the emotional and psychological aspects of the characters. I'll take

(spoilered in case twinkyspanglerwangle is still reading the thread)

Luke losing it and going bat shit mental at Vadar when he taunts him about Leia over any of the prequel sabre fights, any day. In fact I'll even take Obiwan vs Vadar over them. Obi knows exactly what he's doing in that battle, and even if he had the hips to go all spinning kick on Vadar's arse he wouldn't, he was biding time, letting the others escape.

Even the climactic Obi vs Anakin battle is largely a visual experience. I mean that bit where they are just standing there twirling their sabres at each other for what seems like minutes! oh my :lol:

I have a friend who is a martial arts sword guy - he's pretty good. But watching the prequel fights with him is a nightmare as he just says "There!" every time where they've left themselves exposed and he would've killed them. Turns out it's a lot of times.

I'll weigh in :)

This order: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3

So...

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

The main reason for this, in addition to all the others listed, is that the worst of the series are most definitely 1 and 2 (Phantom/Attack) - so if you go 123456 then you've got to sit through the worst two films first, which is a terrible way to start.

There are a myriad of other reasons, but this for me is the main one.

No because the reason they're bad is mostly to do with the nonsensical plot. Somewhat to do with the charmless vacuous characters. And a bit to do with how greenscreened everything was.

Oh and the light sabre fights - there's that brilliant YouTube vid where they show how they keep swinging to miss. It's really obvious when you see it. What the hell was that all about? Too based on that Brazilian dancing thing I reckon.

I've said it before and by Crom and the Four Winds I'll say it again, just compare the opening crawls:

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/1517/crawl3lc.gif

taxation. blockade. stoppage. endless debates. - I love Parliament TV. This film is going to be exciting.

declared intentions to leave. difficult to maintain peace and order. senator has returned to vote - returned to vote! WOW

crumbling under attacks. evil everywhere. chancellor kidnapped. desperate rescue. - Chancellor kidnapped. Not a princess but Helmut Kohl.

civil war. rebels. hidden base. secret plans. DEATH STAR destroys entire planets. princess pursued by sinister agents. restore freedom.

dreaded starfleet. secret base. evil lord obsessed with finding our hero.

rescue friend. vile gangster. more powerful Death Star. ultimate weapon. certain doom. restore freedom.