IGNORED

A Star Wars Question

twinklyspangle

Hi :)

This may seen ridiculous, but I have never watched Star Wars. I'm aware of most of the main characters and oft-quoted lines, but I've never sat down and watched the films.

Having recently obtained Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, I thought I better catch up with the rest of the planet and watch the films.

My question is this:

Should I watched them in chronological order, or in release order? My partner reckons chronlogical order, but my enjoyment of discussing Prometheus in relation to the Alien films leads me to want to watch the old ones first.

What do you think?

Definitely release order. You'll actually spoil a ton of twists if you don't.

The original trilogy was made without requiring any knowledge of the events leading up to it, not least because they hadn't been written yet obviously. They're also far, far better than the prequels in every way, including how they look believe it or not.

Go with the original 3 films (Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi) then watch the newer prequels.

You might not be as underwhelmed by the prequels as most people as you've not watched the originals as part of your childhood but I reckon you'll still think they're superior, and really they're a stand alone trilogy that the prequels don't add much to.

Machete order. That is where you watch 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 in that order.

It's makes the terrible prequels into a sort of extended flashback, there's nothing in part 1 of any interest and it works really well in that form.

Machete order. That is where you watch 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 in that order.

It's makes the terrible prequels into a sort of extended flashback, there's nothing in part 1 of any interest and it works really well in that form.

I think you are messing with me, I can't not watch one of tem now I have got to this "I am going to watch Star Wars" point in my life.

Of course, the BEST best thing to do would be to watch the originals, sacrifice the prequel trilogy in a nice bonfire (where you can cook sausages and baked potatoes), and then start a on Knights of the Old Republic (the original, not the online one).

KOTOR has everything good about Starwars, and none of the Jar-Jar.

just watch them in chronological order

never mind about the prequel naysayers, they are fine

Why? WHY? Why "just" watch them in chronological order? For what purpose? They weren't written like that, and they shouldn't be viewed like that. It's not like watching them in release order is any sort of hardship where you have to grudgingly accept to "just" watching them chronologically because it's some of default setting and it's too much effort of do anything else.

Fuck me.

Watch 4,5,6 and if they interest you enough and you feel you'd like to see more, then 1,2,3. But frankly, only do that if you really enjoyed 4,5,6.

Yeah watch 4, 5, 6 first. Fast forward 1 to the Duel of the Fates then watch 2 but don't worry if you miss bits, then watch all of 3.

You sound like an Episode 3 apologist. People who say Episode 3 is better than ROTJ should be rounded up and shot. 1, 2 and 3 are all bad. Different grades of bad, but all absolutely fucking terrible.

My preferred order would be 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. You wont have the first viewing of the original trilogy spoiled by having seen the new ones, and you'll end up with everything rounded off nicely, instead of just stopping in the middle of the complete story.

Why? WHY? Why "just" watch them in chronological order? For what purpose? They weren't written like that, and they shouldn't be viewed like that. It's not like watching them in release order is any sort of hardship where you have to grudgingly accept to "just" watching them chronologically because it's some of default setting and it's too much effort of do anything else.

Fuck me.

Watch 4,5,6 and if they interest you enough and you feel you'd like to see more, then 1,2,3. But frankly, only do that if you really enjoyed 4,5,6.

well she doesnt know the story, so I figured watching it that way would be less confusing.

no need to be so aggressive about it

You sound like an Episode 3 apologist. People who say Episode 3 is better than ROTJ should be rounded up and shot. 1, 2 and 3 are all bad. Different grades of bad, but all absolutely fucking terrible.

At no point have I ever said Sith is better than ROTJ.

Yeah, that is actually quite a good way to watch them. Nothing is spoiled, and it still leaves it all with a satisfying conclusion.

EDIT: Absolutely don't click that link if you haven't seem them though. Major spoilers and all that.

The only bad one is Episode 2 Attack of the Clones, Episode 1 is alright, not great but a few big babies were upset at release and 3 is good but not as good as any of the older ones, make up your own mind

I'd agree with 456123

Saw first post, thought 'Machete order - 4,5,2,3,6'. Notwithstanding any new Star Wars content that might be due to come along, this is absolutely an idea that needs spreading, a visionary way of watching that squeezes the best out of all of them. Watch 1 a couple of months later if you must, if you fancy some more lightsabre action.