Sign in to follow this  
Robo_1

E3 - Microsoft Conference Thread (June 10th - UK: 17:30 / EU 18:30)

Hard Mode:

Cloud

I'm actually totally open to better suggestions for the drinking game word. I'm going to be enjoying E3 with a friend this year, so thought it would be fun to extend the festivities. I actually think Cloud is a better word. I was tempted by TV, but after the reveal, I think they'll be steering clear of even mentioning the word.

'Content' would surely be Hard Mode, right?

With the amount of exclusivity shenanigans that's usually bounded about in previous conferences, It's very likely you'd need a stomach pump for the first salvo of new console software!

EDIT: Already mentioned by APM. Oh well! Spoiler'd to save embarrassment. I'll probably write something more interesting in a bit.

In my case (and admittedly, I'm pretty deep within what they'd call the "core market" which isn't the biggest of groups) to come away from this positively, I'd need to see...

• Somewhere in the region of a dozen exclusive, must-have games that collectively look better than the range Sony will be touting
  • The ability to unplug (and, ideally, not buy) Kinect, as I won't use it. I believe the tech is fundamentally flawed.
  • Not focus on social elements as being the new big thing in gaming. Being able to post to TwitFace is not really moving gaming forward for me. Additionally, not requiring the user to engage with a privacy-robbing social network in order to engage with all the console's best features - Live with a higher friends limit will be just fine. MS don't need to know which bands I like or what foods I prefer, thanks.

The DRM stuff, and the always-online stuff I'm not so happy with - however, I already do it with Steam, so I can live with it if all the other ducks are in a row. However, I'm not really convinced that they will be.

For me, the bone is all about Halo 5. Some people have had enough of the franchise, and that's fair enough, but for me, there's still no fps that comes close to the Halo games. However, to overcome the massively negative view I have of the bone at the moment, Halo 5 is going to have to be something akin to the second coming to win me over.

I'm actually totally open to better suggestions for the drinking game word. I'm going to be enjoying E3 with a friend this year, so thought it would be fun to extend the festivities. I actually think Cloud is a better word. I was tempted by TV, but after the reveal, I think they'll be steering clear of even mentioning the word.

Always-on, perpetual or unparalleled ?

For all my negativity so far, I hope they turn it around. Aside from anything else, I don't think a single console having the run of the new gen would be healthy for the industry.

For me, the bone is all about Halo 5. Some people have had enough of the franchise, and that's fair enough, but for me, there's still no fps that comes close to the Halo games. However, to overcome the massively negative view I have of the bone at the moment, Halo 5 is going to have to be something akin to the second coming to win me over.

Halo 4 killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the series. It was far from a bad game, but practically everything 343 added I ended up not really liking. Whilst they could well turn that around for the next one, the reveal of Bungie's Destiny turned out to be well timed to capture my interest instead.

I expect a Halo 5 tease to close out the show, by the way. And I do mean tease: maybe a logo with a bit of voiceover.

The two things I'm most interested in seeing are Rare's revival — although if it is Killer Instinct that would fall rather flat — and whatever Black Tusk is working on. The latter is supposedly taking the place of Gears as Microsoft's non-Halo-year release, so I'm just curious what kind of game it will be.

Total Remedy slut over here and keeping half an eyelid open for Quantum Break.

A new Crackdown would really fuck up plans not to spend my hard-earned on this damn "box".

Pretty sure the MS conference is at 5.30pm UK time, folks. That's what I understood before, and it's what the IGN page still says.

I heard a rumour the other day about Rare making a full-on new Banjo Kazooie for launch, which would be amazing,

A new Crackdown would really fuck up plans not to spend my hard-earned on this damn "box".

A new Crackdown 2 that pretends the sequel never existed could. A Crackdown 3 that carries on the changes made in 2... Not so much.

Pre-emptive summary: gaming's needy ex tries to make up for systematically destroying all their socks in a jealous rage, with a number of increasingly pathetic and desperate gestures.

I never played crackdown 2. What was wrong with it?

Depends on your viewpoint. Most will tell you it's worse than Hitler.

Either way Microsoft stuffed up by waiting too long to ask for a sequel, and the original developers had already started APB (which died on its arse), so it got farmed out. Microsoft had them rush development which meant they basically deformed the original environment a bit and threw in some zombies.

They didn't really change much at all, then made it grimey and added loads of zombies. Really didn't do it for me unlike the first which sold me the 360 and was a proper action game with a wonderful powerup system that made the mechanic of collecting a joy to do (and very worthwhile).

I really hope this is as good (ie bad) as it can be. I actually want them to screw things up even worse, because of how funny it will be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just to echo what others have said, Crackdown 2 is at best a lazy cash-in by inferior devs and at worst a downright bungled bait-and-switch. It's probably not all that bad taken on its own terms, but compared to the first one it comes off looking like shite.

The worst of it is that Crackdown (to my mind) had a few little rough edges that, with just a light fettling of the game mechanics, would have produced something really extraordinary in a sequel. And instead we got a rewarmed map and nonsensical zombies. Sigh.

[*]The ability to unplug (and, ideally, not buy) Kinect, as I won't use it. I believe the tech is fundamentally flawed.

What's fundamentally flawed about it? If it works as it's supposed to I don't see an issue. Voice commands are pretty good when they work (android) or admittedly really shit when they don't (siri), so if it works, great. Games wise even currently it's not as bad as people moan - some games do use it well and assuming the new one is much better, great. Not that I'd go for the new one due to the fucking size of it though.

Pretty sure the MS conference is at 5.30pm UK time, folks. That's what I understood before, and it's what the IGN page still says.

I heard a rumour the other day about Rare making a full-on new Banjo Kazooie for launch, which would be amazing,

There's pre and after show events from Xbox, so I'll double check it all and add a more detailed itinerary (with streaming links) when all the sites have got their E3 schedule in order.

FFS, just realised that my broadband isn't going to be up and running in time for this unless Sky perform a miracle on Monday.

Can someone tape it for me please? x

The conferences will be all over YouTube shortly after it finishes if past E3s are anything to go by. I don't have much confidence in my broadband and some of the scheduling is less than convenient so I'll probably hold out for the YT uploads. :)

What's fundamentally flawed about it? If it works as it's supposed to I don't see an issue. Voice commands are pretty good when they work (android) or admittedly really shit when they don't (siri), so if it works, great. Games wise even currently it's not as bad as people moan - some games do use it well and assuming the new one is much better, great. Not that I'd go for the new one due to the fucking size of it though.

Which universe is this where Siri doesn't work? It's mainly flawless on the iPhone 5 as far as I can tell.