IGNORED

E3 - Sony Conference Thread (June 11th - UK: 02:00 / EU: 03:00)

Robo_1

They could have ended that e3 conference with House announcing price and then Tretton coming back on with a mic with all the lending/renting stuff and then dropping the mic whilst walking off. It would be mayhem for at least 4 minutes. Wish they had the balls.

"your discs, your games, your PlayStation... BOOM!"

Yeah, like announce The Last Guardian as a launch title on the last day.

A man can dream...well, grasp at straws, more like.

So The Last Guardian is on "hiatus"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *breathes* ooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ah, well. Plenty of other games to play while I wait. And wait. And wait...

They could have ended that e3 conference with House announcing price and then Tretton coming back on with a mic with all the lending/renting stuff and then dropping the mic whilst walking off. It would be mayhem for at least 4 minutes. Wish they had the balls.

"your discs, your games, your PlayStation... BOOM!"

But its not is it, he's now said its up to publishers, so we still might be DRM'd. Just not on first party.

Yeah, suddenly everything's all a bit vague and up in the air again.

Not in the slightest. It's exactly the same as this gen. Sony aren't implementing any systemwide DRM. If third parties want to do their own online passes or Ubisoft go mental and start doing always online they have to do it themselves. XB One drm is system wide.

After what happened to Microsoft the last week do you really think any publisher will risk the ire of the entire videogaming playing internet by introducing such a scheme? Even publishers won't be that dumb. The polls are done. The feedback is clear. It's too early.

After what happened to Microsoft the last week do you really think any publisher will risk the ire of the entire videogaming playing internet by introducing such a scheme? Even publishers won't be that dumb. The polls are done. The feedback is clear. It's too early.

Well EA managed to sell 1.6 million copies of Sim City. Not bad for a game that you would think was created by merging the DNA of Satan, Hitler and Cordon and then adding always online DRM.

If there's DRM that'll be a massive pisstake and my mate will KILL me. What's going on?

Will only be playing the single player of KZ, so will grab 2 & 3 on the cheap then.

Play it on hard. It gets a lot better - actually pretty good. I like Killzone 2 on hard. Good game.

If there's DRM that'll be a massive pisstake and my mate will KILL me. What's going on?

People are getting worked up about Sony letting publishers implement their own restrictions if they want to, which was also the case for the PS3. It quite literally isn't news.

I'm sure some publisher will give it a try, such is their right. Much as it is my right to say, "No thank you" and tell them why I'm not going to buy their product.

Not that I'm inherently against things like online-only games. I believe Destiny is but I'm fine with that given that it is positioned as an online multiplayer game. The important thing is that if I'm having connection issues I can always load up The Witcher 3, or other offline game, without having to be on the 'net for no appreciable reason.

Clarification on what Tretton meant.

http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-party-drm-refers-to-playing-used-games-online-only/

The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever.

It's the same as it is now with the PS3 and 360 - if a publisher wants to add some online pass or something to a game, they're free to do so. And you're free to not buy that game. Nothing will change in going from PS3 to PS4 in terms of DRM, as you use and play your console now, that is is how it will be.

I'm sure I recall a similar hubbub when it came to Region Locking back when the PS3 was announced - Sony's statement was that it was up to the publishers if they want their games locked, and there was a lot of chatter about that. At the end of this console cycle, there's been two games that used the function on their games. One was some incredibly obscure karaoke product, while the other (Persona 4 Arena) got suitably shitcanned by the press.

Of course, DRM is it's own thing, but Eric Hirshberg at Activision put it quite eloquently in an interview with Keighley just now on Gametrailers - Activision, who owns the largest franchise this generation with Call of Duty, has never used a Season Pass. They chalk it down to being able to create games that are worth people's time and money, and producing worthwhile DLC to increase the longevity of the product.

If Third Party really want to pull that shit, good luck to them.

Yeah, I watched that interview and the warning bells began ringing. A particularly disingenuous way of phrasing what he did, given how loaded the subject is.

Glad it's been cleared up though, and very happy to read that Sony will be dropping the online passes.

As much as I ended up enjoying the PS4 reveal and multiple revelations at the end, I do kinda wish they'd made more of a deal about the Vita. It would have engendered a lot of good will with even just a slash in prices on just memory cards even if they didn't show anything like a "coming soon" montage.

Still I guess they figure they can do something nearer the PS4 launch time to try and link it in to that.

It's the same as it is now with the PS3 and 360 - if a publisher wants to add some online pass or something to a game, they're free to do so. And you're free to not buy that game. Nothing will change in going from PS3 to PS4 in terms of DRM, as you use and play your console now, that is is how it will be.

I see. No change then. Thanks.

I can't remember - what games had this sort of thing last gen on the 360/PS3?

Very comprehensive and interesting 25 minute interview with a Sony exec, which covers the online pass/drm stuff in detail, and a lot besides. It seems they're scrapping online passes for both first and third party. http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/sony-s-scott-rohde-answers-your-burning-ps4-questi/1600-504/

The Sony guy comes off really well in contrast to the creepy non-humans MS put up for things like this.

Nice. I'll listen to that on the way to work. There's also an article on Eurogamer where EA say they don't have a problem with used games as they are today. PR spin obviously but it's telling that they felt the need to come out and say it. MS have some serious thinking to do I suspect. I can easily see MS dropping the used game shit and increasing the offline timer rather than removing it altogether. That would level the playing field a lot for the mass market I think since used games was probably going to turn out to be the biggest sticking point.

I'm sure she'll bring it up because I asked her whether Sony's Feb reveal had worried them. She was supremely confident at the time. I'll have to ask her whether she knew about the DRM and 24-hour check-in. If she didn't, and only knew about the E3 stuff, I can understand why she was confident, but if she knew the details of the first reveal....

Not meaning to be rude about your friend, but many of my friends who work at MS are brainwashed and spew out the corporate bullshit as if they just thought of it themselves. They honestly don't give a shit what customers think, there's a real arrogance as if they are in sole charge of the market (my friends work in b2b, not games) and whatever decisions they make, if unpopular, people will just have to get used to. recent examples being the windows8 no start button cock up, and the Office non-cloud subscription style licensing. Both of which were slated, both I believe have been reversed by smarter people high up in the company, both of which were defended initially very arrogantly by people I know.

I suspect a major backpedal is coming on this one. The execs will know how bad this is.

I listened to the Giant Bomb interview. Very interesting. One thing he mentioned was that F2P online games don't have to require PS+ for online play. It can be decided on a game to game basis.