IGNORED

What would you do if you were Mr Iwata (laughs)

JPickford

Yes, but if you notice the trend, that core Nintendo-lifer userbase is for some reason shrinking

You keep banging on about this, but it's a totally pointless debate because:

1) Not every platform is going to be the runaway success that the Wii and DS were - it's OK, it doesn't mean failure. You can't say that bar is the one that every platform has to reach now, that's the pinnacle almost, not the base camp.

2) You appear to pin it on Nintendo all the time, and yet never mention that the PS2 has sold more than the PS3, and the PSP has sold more than the Vita - does that mean that the core Sony-lifer userbase is also shrinking?

People go where the compelling software takes them. That's what any platform needs, and any platform that gets it can gain momentum very quickly indeed (especially during a generation transition).

Satoru Iwata has not been good for Nintendo, he took over in 2002, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion were released in 2001, Wind Waker's direction had already been set by then, released in 2002/2003. Super Mario Sunshine was 2002. Animal Crossing was also pre Iwata. I've not liked a Nintendo game since and they've not created new ips of that imaginative kind since. Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports/Music/etc were all short lived fads.

Nintendo were better under a president who professed to not play videogames or care for them, as opposed to a president who loves them so much he wants everyone to play them and if something appeals to just a small proportion of an audience, like an F-Zero, and doesn't sell 5 million, then they see that as their failure and it's not worth doing. I don't think we've seen another F-Zero because F-Zero GX sold 650,000.

Maybe Hiroshi Yamauchi left them to get on with just making games. Under Iwata, they've become far more hardware focussed. I remember NGC magazine making a fuss over these shorter Nintendo games like Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion and Wind Waker, it was like a rare opinion piece by them, but they were the first and last of the shorter games. Pikmin 2 took 3 years to arrive and was severely bloated, it tried to be a more substantial game that would take 25 hours to finish than a creative one that would take 6 hours. Twilight Princess tried to top Ocarina rather than be its own thing.

You keep banging on about this, but it's a totally pointless debate because:

1) Not every platform is going to be the runaway success that the Wii and DS were - it's OK, it doesn't mean failure. You can't say that bar is the one that every platform has to reach now, that's the pinnacle almost, not the base camp.

2) You appear to pin it on Nintendo all the time, and yet never mention that the PS2 has sold more than the PS3, and the PSP has sold more than the Vita - does that mean that the core Sony-lifer userbase is also shrinking?

People go where the compelling software takes them. That's what any platform needs, and any platform that gets it can gain momentum very quickly indeed (especially during a generation transition).

Yes, I replied to you before about this, Microsoft sucked up a portion of the the floating Sony userbase on home console, Vita got fucked in Japan by Nintendo stealing their key software support, PSP has been dead in the West so Vita was going to struggle here, especially as it has much worse Western third party support,

I don't see how people can base their conviction that Nintendo can turn it around on anything more than pure faith, they didn't turn it around for over a decade, before the move to capture the Blue Ocean with the Wii, which seems to have become rather empty now, as the Wii U is showing. If Nintendo had something to turn it around now, they'd still be holding a public E3 presentation, as they are still paying out to hire the Nokia theater, but only using it to talk to industry in private. I've followed the Project Café saga since the first whispers, all their actions point to a doubling down on their core customerbase, Iwata's words about appealing to third party licensees was just that in reality, words.

If Nintendo had something to turn it around now, they'd still be holding a public E3 presentation

As far as I'm aware, they are - at 3pm this afternoon. It's as open to the general public as the Sony and MS ones were.

In case you haven't been invited yet (I honestly can't think of a reason why you'd not be right at the very top of Nintendo's list), let me ask you along to join in the fun:

http://e3.nintendo.com/

Losing faith in a Wii U recovery now. The games look good but most delayed till next year and 3D Mario not quite what I was hoping for.

They need to do something amazing with price & digital back catalogue. It's not looking likely though.

(Cross-posted from the Nintendo E3 thread)

OK, here's my theory about what's wrong with Nintendo. It'll be a long post, so bear with me. The problem with Nintendo is essentially a problem with Japanese development as a whole, but one that Nintendo has compounded. For some reason, Japan simply has a massive problem developing for the HD generation (by which I don't just mean the resolution, but in general 360 and PS3-level games). Something about the leap in power has caused a problem for them. After all, this very week we've finally seen a game that has literally taken an entire generation of development to come out, and is finally being released on the generation after. It's not as if I have any inside knowledge of Japanese development, but if I had to guess it's about wrangling large teams that has led to the problem. There's some bright lights in the tunnel now though, as Japan is finally getting its act together (MGSV trailer looks amazing), but there's no doubt that the HD generation represented a problem for Japan.

(Incidentally, this also leads into my theory about the success of the 3DS vs the Vita. The 3DS represents the absolute final gasp for the PS2 generation, and as such has attracted Japanese developers who even now still want to avoid HD games. This is why Monster Hunter 4 came to the 3DS - if they put it on the Vita it would have to be an HD game. They obviously are still not ready to do that.)

So, what of Nintendo? It seems like they predicted this problem, at least. Coming out of the GameCube, they clearly decided to avoid HD. Their answer was the Wii - they would make up for lower-tech games with innovative motion control and their blue-ocean games. But that meant that they were making similar-tech games for two whole generations. Now, Nintendo can no longer avoid HD. They've been dragged kicking and screaming into it. That not many people had HD TVs was a valid point when the Wii launched, it's not any more. But Nintendo still have no idea how to make HD games. They've avoided it for so long that they're kind of stuck with what are essentially still GameCube games. So what they're dealing with now are crippling delays since they're not used to the rigours of HD development, and ultimately they are still making GameCube games.

Every Wii U game that Nintendo first party are making looks like a GameCube game.They're basically using the extra processing power to push up the resolution, sand off the edges and shove in some nice little effects like transparencies, specular reflections and water, but the core game is still entirely something that could be made on a GameCube. I was hoping for a new jump in Mario games that was the next step up from Mario Galaxy and even Sunshine - instead it's a scaled-back game with small environments. I loved 3D Land, and I'm sure this will be great fun, but it's just not the leap in scale and ambition I hoped for.

Perhaps the best example is the new Smash Bros. I read somewhere that it's going to be 1080p - that sounds great, but we all know that the Wii U is not particularly a graphical powerhouse. So that means that the actual game must be pushing the machine so little that they've got resolution to spare. And from the footage we've seen, the character models indeed don't really look much better than Brawls', and I would guess that 1080p is just a fun extra they realised they could stick in the game after making the assets to the same quality they've always done. I'm sure the game will still be fun, but it's an indication that Nintendo has no interest in pushing ideas and scale any further than what a GameCube could manage. Judging by the Iwata Asks articles, I'd guess the problem is the aversion that Nintendo has to large teams, but in the Nintendo family I think only Monolithsoft really know how to make HD games.

Can Nintendo fix this? It's taken the entire Japanese industry a whole generation to begin to turn it around - can Nintendo afford an entire generation of faffing around? Maybe not.