IGNORED

What would you do if you were Mr Iwata (laughs)

JPickford

Eh, who says I don't like the Wii? I thought it was great!

The fact remains, they marketed the shit out of it BEFORE it went on sale. They hyped it to fuck. Which is why people talked about it, and wanted one. They new what it did before they ever saw one.

The fact that it was a great product was another reason why it succeeded, but it was not the main one.

It was the main one. Look at kinect. Bigger and better marketing than the Wii ever had. But it was shit. So it died a death after a year. They spend $500m promoting kinect. I reckon the Wii was far less. So why didn't Kinect sell 100m? Or any games at all?

While there are always exceptions, that is not even a comparable analogy, is it?

Ah, there are exceptions. The way you were talking it was like there were no exceptions. I reckon the Wii was an exception. Like Minecraft it would have sold with or without marketing. It just tapped into what people wanted. The fact the Wii did have some marketing doesn't negate this.

It was the main one. Look at kinect. Bigger and better marketing than the Wii ever had. But it was shit. So it died a death after a year. They spend $500m promoting kinect. I reckon the Wii was far less. So why didn't Kinect sell 100m? Or any games at all?

Great marketing is not all about the money you spend, the campaign has to be good too.

I can't remember anything about the Kinect launch, personally. With the Wii, I can remember that iconic white room with people playing into the camera, which they then reproduced for real in the main markets. I saw the guys from Channel Four news in that room playing Wii Tennis. I saw it on the Culture show with Morley et al playing it. Jonathan Ross and his kids playing it. It was in almost EVERY consumer magazine in some way that had nothing to do with gaming.

Media, media, media.

Ah, there are exceptions. The way you were talking it was like there were no exceptions. I reckon the Wii was an exception. Like Minecraft it would have sold with or without marketing. It just tapped into what people wanted. The fact the Wii did have some marketing doesn't negate this.

The Wii had some marketing in the same way that the ocean has some water.

EDIT: And by the way, do you think Take A Break or ANY media outlet cares if it has anything interesting to talk about? If you pay them, they talk about it!

Not while I was there, so I am not making anything up, thank you.

Yes it was!! It was on from about 7 onwards!

Anyway, it's not really the point though.

You guys are going around in circles a little. Essientially you're both right. Ramones right, the Wii would have been a success without a great PR campaign, even though it did actually have that as well. Zok is also correct however in that PR can basically make a success out of something shit.

If it was me I'd always try to ensure I've a great product but regardless of the finished article always ALWAYS, go big on PR. PR is everything, it shouldn't be of course but in the world we live in, it is.

I don't even...

Yeah, you just had to see somebody playing on a Wii to want a Wii. Impossible to fuck up. I mean...

To market it they just had to show somebody playing it. You can't do that with the Wiiu. You can't do that with many things. The product was the important thing. The marketing just had to consist of pointing a camera at somebody using the product. The Wii would have been a massive success with zero official marketing. That's what I reckon though it's difficult to prove.

Just to play ZOK's advocate for a moment...

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2006/11/how-nintendo-is-selling-wii-to-women.html

This is a promotional (ie, paid for by Nintendo) advertorial (ie, an advert pretending to be part of the magazine) in UK magazine Prima.

What's unusual about this is that Prima isn't a video game magazine, it's a magazine about clothes and shopping and diets and "Ooh! This one's got flowers on it!" aimed at bored housewives.

Which isn't to say Wii didn't sell on its own merits, but Nintendo clearly knew who to target when they were spending their marketing bucks.

It's like Gizmo said though: the idea that Wii sold purely on the strength of its function is far-fetched, as is the idea anything can sell on merit alone in this day and age . Nintendo did a lot of very targeted marketing along side that, and if they hadn't it's very possible it wouldn't have performed nearly as well.

A product that will appeal to its readers? Isn't the whole tablet designed around giving a solution to family play? I've watched a trailer for Marioland, and it seems like that's what they are pushing.

Anyway, this is all moot. Too little too late for the Wii U. There is no way that Nintendo are going to market the shit out if it, that's clear. It's dead in the water, and you don't have to be a marketing expert like me to see that.

A product that will appeal to its readers? Isn't the whole tablet designed around giving a solution to family play? I've watched a trailer for Marioland, and it seems like that's what they are pushing.

Anyway, this is all moot. Too little too late for the Wii U. There is no way that Nintendo are going to market the shit out if it, that's clear. It's dead in the water, and you don't have to be a marketing expert like me to see that.

Families and females, despite sharing some letters, are two different things.

Just to play ZOK's advocate for a moment...

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2006/11/how-nintendo-is-selling-wii-to-women.html

Which isn't to say Wii didn't sell on its own merits, but Nintendo clearly knew who to target when they were spending their marketing bucks.

Of course, the eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that this article appeared in the magazine before the Wii went on sale, exactly as I said up thread. Which undermines the assertions by John and Jamie that mags like this were interested in the Wii because everyone was playing it and talking about such a revolutionary product.

Families and females, despite sharing some letters, are two different things.

Alright Probeater, pipe down!

The WiiU might well be dead in the water. But then you gotta ask why didn't they at least try and sell it? So they're either scraping it or they're going to relaunch it. The way they've approached it makes either scenario as likely. The fact that it's like they don't want anybody to know about the WiiU.

As dead as the 3DS was, you mean?

yeah look at that thing now it

The best thing anyone can do for the Wii U at this point is go to their nearest catholic church and light a candle for it.

The WiiU might well be dead in the water. But then you gotta ask why didn't they at least try and sell it? So they're either scraping it or they're going to relaunch it. The way they've approached it makes either scenario as likely. The fact that it's like they don't want anybody to know about the WiiU.

Well, I reckon it's hubris. They got fucked with the Gamecube, and thought to themselves 'we must try something different!' Thus all the marketing for Wii. Obviously that was massive, and they then made the common mistake (that Microsoft appear to be doing now) of taking brand loyalty for granted.

It will still sell loads, of course. That doesn't mean that Microsoft aren't making a massive misstep. They will load it with marketing money, unlike Nintendo, so it will sell whatever.

Although I hope it doesn't.

Well, I reckon it's hubris. They got fucked with the Gamecube, and thought to themselves 'we must try something different!' Thus all the marketing for Wii. Obviously that was massive, and they then made the common mistake (that Microsoft appear to be doing now) of taking brand loyalty for granted.

Why did they market the shit out of the 3ds?

You've no answer for that, of course.

It will still sell loads, of course. That doesn't mean that Microsoft aren't making a massive misstep. They will load it with marketing money, unlike Nintendo, so it will sell whatever.

Although I hope it doesn't.

It worked for Surface! Rather proving Zok's point that it's all about marketing spend.

It worked for Surface! Rather proving Zok's point that it's all about marketing spend.

That wasn't my point, wasn't it? Who was it that said this?

Great marketing is not all about the money you spend, the campaign has to be good too.

Oh why it was me, ZOK. In this thread. On this page.

I've no idea why you guys are so defensive about this, I'm merely observing the facts.

I don't know if renaming a console is viable but the Wii bit I think is a mistake. Just as the DS bit of 3DS (clever though that name is) just confused the market.

I'd like Nintendo to rename the console, and it's very possible - they could send out little stickers to place over the Wii U logo on your console and controller, kind of like when the long-forgotten onDigital briefly became ITV Digital.

Everyone hated the name of the original Wii as well. I don't think the name is the issue at all.

it isn't the content of the name that is the issue. It is confusing it with the original Wii and not getting the point across that it is a whole new separate console (which also looks like the wii).

You are right, I have no answer. Maybe they wanted it to sell? It's very curious.

You are right, I have no answer. Maybe they wanted it to sell? It's very curious.

So, and this is what you think. Nintendo didn't market the successor to the Wii because of hubris. But they marketed the shit out of the successor to their other product, their other product which was actually more successful and dominant than the Wii it its market? Okay. Well, let's file that Zok idea in the Stupid Drawer, hey? It can sit next to your idea that the Wii was successful mainly due to marketing. Hey, it's filling up!

You've kinda flip-flopped around the whole marketing spend thing so I'm not going to put that in there yet.

it isn't the content of the name that is the issue. It is confusing it with the original Wii and not getting the point across that it is a whole new separate console (which also looks like the wii).

I don't think people are that stupid. I mean, who's confusing it with the Wii? And how? And why? And when?

They've got a Wii and they go into a shop and ask for a WiiU and get given a WiiU and say, oh, I thought it was a Wii? That would be fine for Nintendo.

Or, they've got a Wii and they think the WiiU is the controller and go into a shop and ask for one and get given a WiiU. That's fine too.

I think the actual problem is nobody knows what a WiiU is. Not that they're confusing it for something else. Nobody is going into a shop and asking for a WiiU. I mean, it would be better for Nintendo if they thought it was a peripheral for the Wii. Then they'd ask for one and find out it's a whole new console.

I don't think people are that stupid. I mean, who's confusing it with the Wii? And how? And why? And when?

Maybe not the console, but I was quite struck by the fact that GAME have signs up in the Wii-U section telling customers that Wii-U games won't work on the original Wii. Whether that's in response to a spate of mistaken purchases or GAME simply underestimating the intelligence of their customers, I don't know.

So, and this is what you think. Nintendo didn't market the successor to the Wii because of hubris. But they marketed the shit out of the successor to their other product, their other product which was actually more successful and dominant than the Wii it its market? Okay. Well, let's file that Zok idea in the Stupid Drawer, hey? It can sit next to your idea that the Wii was successful mainly due to marketing. Hey, it's filling up!

You've kinda flip-flopped around the whole marketing spend thing so I'm not going to put that in there yet.

I really don't know what you think all this means, but the only sense I can make of it is that you think that the 3DS and the Wii did well because of the marketing Nintendo did, and the Wii U is a flop because of no marketing. I am glad we agree!

I will enjoy you demonstrating how I have 'flip-flopped' around 'the whole marketing spend thing', though. Presumably you're going to address that at the same time you address how Nintendo had people telling each other how great the Wii was to play before it was actually on sale, without marketing.