IGNORED

What would you do if you were Mr Iwata (laughs)

JPickford

I think that's backwards. The Wii was in every magazine & newspaper because it had a novel concept that was easy to understand. It deserved coverage because it was something special and that of course fed back into sales.Wii U is also brilliant but not easy to understand or quite as unique. And of course because of that it isn't turning heads in quite the same way.This is a rare case where you can't blame the marketing dept.

Sorry, that is bullshit John. Without a phenomenal PR and marketing spend, it would have had a bit more coverage than the Wii U. Do you honestly think Chat and Take a Break magazine et al were covering the Wii because it was a novel concept?

PR companies made the Wii a marketing success, it's as simple as that. The fact it was a novel concept just made their job easier.

PR companies made the Wii a marketing success, it's as simple as that. The fact it was a novel concept just made their job easier.

Nah, Zok. Have to disagree with you there. The Wii did well for the same reason Kinect did well - not just marketing spend. It's because (like most good products) you can put it in front of people, show them what it does and they understand it immediately. People just "get it".

The WiiU is the opposite. Multiple SKUs, a weird peripheral, a base unit that looks like the Wii... And it's not immediately obvious what it all DOES. Even the best marketing department in the world couldn't make it the success the Wii was.

Sorry, that is bullshit John. Without a phenomenal PR and marketing spend, it would have had a bit more coverage than the Wii U. Do you honestly think Chat and Take a Break magazine et al were covering the Wii because it was a novel concept?

It isn't bullshit. Perhaps I haven't explained my point properly. The Wii had a story that was genuinely interesting to the mainstream. Maybe they spent a fortune, maybe they didn't but the story was there.

The Wii U doesn't have that so no amount of PR spending is going to get it into Take-A-Break magazine. It's not going to get non-gamers excited because it doesn't have the hook.

The Wii U doesn't have that so no amount of PR spending is going to get it into Take-A-Break magazine. It's not going to get non-gamers excited because it doesn't have the hook.

But if there's one company in the world who could come up with such a hook then it's Nintendo.

So yeah, there's nt point writing it off. If they don't come up with the hook then it's fucked. If they do then it isn't.

Nah, Zok. Have to disagree with you there. The Wii did well for the same reason Kinect did well - not just marketing spend. It's because (like most good products) you can put it in front of people, show them what it does and they understand it immediately. People just "get it".

As you've just described exactly what the PR campaign for the Wii (and indeed Kinect in the same way) was about, rather than disagreeing with me, you've actually proved my point. Well done!

As you've just described exactly what the PR campaign for the Wii (and indeed Kinect in the same way) was about, rather than disagreeing with me, you've actually proved my point. Well done!

Poppycock. The Wii went MAINSTREAM because absolutely everybody who played on one wanted one.

It isn't bullshit. Perhaps I haven't explained my point properly. The Wii had a story that was genuinely interesting to the mainstream. Maybe they spent a fortune, maybe they didn't but the story was there.The Wii U doesn't have that so no amount of PR spending is going to get it into Take-A-Break magazine. It's not going to get non-gamers excited because it doesn't have the hook.

Once again, only interesting to the mainstream because of the PR. So again, this proves my point.

The Wii U is no doubt a great product. It's sold around a thousand in the UK. A thousand! Why? Because no-one knows about it. Give it one of the many hooks it clearly has, spend money on getting journalists playing with it, running competitions to win one, and it will sell. Don't do that, and it's dead.

Nintendo has chosen the 'it's dead' option.

Poppycock. The Wii went MAINSTREAM because absolutely everybody who played on one wanted one.

On that basis, the Wii U should be selling millions then, shouldn't it? Early adopters count for shit. Press first, then word of mouth, then sales, then more word of mouth. The market never ever changes.

I can more easily believe Nintendo released a revolutionary console which excited everyone, than their PR team suddenly went from atrocious to outstanding.

By any metric they did go from atrocious to outstanding. They quite simply owned the media with the Wii before they sold a single one.

On that basis, the Wii U should be selling millions then, shouldn't it? Early adopters count for shit. Press first, then word of mouth, then sales, then more word of mouth. The market never ever changes.

Are you drunk? Why should the WiiU be selling millions? I don't think everybody who see/plays on a WiiU wants a WiiU. Because at the moment it's lacking the hook.

The Wii wouldn't have done so well without WiiSports and instead just had raving rabbids.

By any metric they did go from atrocious to outstanding. They quite simply owned the media with the Wii before they sold a single one.

You gotta be fuckign with me. They owned the media because it was clearly something everybody wanted. The product was so great they couldn't fuck it up. They just had to show a few people it.

Are you drunk? Why should the WiiU be selling millions? I don't think everybody who see/plays on a WiiU wants a WiiU. Because at the moment it's lacking the hook.

Hmm, well I've seen more than one morose Wii U owner say exactly that in the Wii U thread. 'When someone plays X game, they want one!'

I've never played on one, so maybe they just aren't very good. That won't help, certainly.

The only time I've ever seen one was in Bath, and it was sat in a corner switched off while everyone crowded round some four player XBox Live game...Hidden in Plain Sight I think.

You're just being daft.

Just because you don't like the message, it doesn't make it daft. If Nintendo gave me three million quid tomorrow, you wouldn't be able to buy a Wii U without putting a pre order in within four months. It's not difficult.

Hmm, we'll I've seen more than one morose Wii U owner say exactly that in the Wii U thread. 'When someone plays X game, they want one!'

I've never played on one, so maybe they just aren't very good. That won't help, certainly.

The only time I've ever seen one was in Bath, and it was sat in a corner switched off while everyone crowded round some four player XBox Live game...Hidden in Plain Sight I think.

That's a terrific story!

No, I don't think there's a game at the moment that would immediately sell you a WiiU. Mario Chase - a mini game in a compilation I guess is the closest. Even that though, it's not watching somebody play WiiSports tennis you know?

The real benefits of the WiiU are only really felt through owning one.

Right now the kids are playing Lego Batman. Yeah yeah, old game, available for peanuts on the 360. But the fact one of them's on the TV and one on the gamepad is actually, when you're using it, pretty fucking massive. But yeah, you're not impressed by that so how the hell will they sell that it to Take-a-Break?

You gotta be fuckign with me. They owned the media because it was clearly something everybody wanted. The product was so great they couldn't fuck it up.

If that ever worked, marketing would not even exist.

Marketing is the most important function of any business, way more important than product. If you do it good, you can sell something that is shit. If you do it shit, you can't sell something that is good.

They just had to show a few people it.

DING DING DING YOU WIN A PRIZE!

Just because you don't like the message, it doesn't make it daft. If Nintendo gave me three million quid tomorrow, you wouldn't be able to buy a Wii U without putting a pre order in within four months. It's not difficult.

Not sure what to say. You can't PR or market *anything* to success. It has to have an underlying quality that appeals. Wii had that - it had an instantly understandable feature that made people want to try it.

The Wii U doesn't have that. It's a great console but it'll never have what the Wii had. What I think (hope) may well happen is some fantastic games which will turn it around. Like what happened with 3DS.

Right now the kids are playing Lego Batman. Yeah yeah, old game, available for peanuts on the 360. But the fact one of them's on the TV and one on the gamepad is actually, when you're using it, pretty fucking massive. But yeah, you're not impressed by that so how the hell will they sell that it to Take-a-Break?

That is a marketing hook.

Not sure what to say. You can't PR or market *anything* to success. It has to have an underlying quality that appeals. Wii had that - it had an instantly understandable feature that made people want to try it.The Wii U doesn't have that. It's a great console but it'll never have what the Wii had. What I think (hope) may well happen is some fantastic games which will turn it around. Like what happened with 3DS.

Like I say, I don't own one. I've no idea what's good about it. But if you are seriously telling me that there is nothing worth buying the Wii U for, that it does nothing that someone would find useful or interesting, then Nintendo are doing the right thing. They have made a turkey and they are letting it die, without wasting any marketing money on it.

That's something else, isn't it. I mean I'm pretty sure they could actually advertise the machine. So me and the rest of the fanboys kinda think they must have something planned. To launch a console with no games or advertising just seems weird. Maybe they are that fucked in the head.

personally I've the long held view the launch was such a fuck up. The day one update. Lack of games. That they are going to do the whole RELAUNCH thing. Now I appreciate that that sounds like wishful thinking. But then why haven't they done a launch? Why has there been absolutely no advertising for it? It's like they don't want people to know about the Wiiu. How can you explain that? I watch Cartoon Network all day. DS after DS advert. I mean, they've got the advertising space. So why minimal promotion?

Maybe they don't want people to know about the WiiU yet? That would certainly make a relaunch easier and at this stage it's the only thing that makes any sense. Or maybe they're going to drop the console completely? They're going to do something though.

That is a marketing hook.

EDIT: And by the way, do you think Take A Break or ANY media outlet cares if it has anything interesting to talk about? If you pay them, they talk about it!

The WiiU had a healthy crowd around it at the Bath meet mainly playing Luigis Mansion from Nintendland... Come now, don't go making shit up.

Not while I was there, so I am not making anything up, thank you.

If that ever worked, marketing would not even exist.

Marketing is the most important function of any business, way more important than product. If you do it good, you can sell something that is shit. If you do it shit, you can't sell something that is good.

Marketing exists because very few products are phenomenons. Most products AREN'T mind blowing like the Wii was. Now, that's hard for you to grasp. You don't like the Wii. You think people must've been duped into buying one. That's not the case, dude. People bought the Wii, loved the Wii, told their friends about the Wii and then they bought Wiis. And their friends. Eventually everybody had a Wii. And they loved it. And they recently voted it best console ever.

Not sure what to say. You can't PR or market *anything* to success. It has to have an underlying quality that appeals.

Well, we disagree on that. There are a million examples from the Pet Rock onwards of people going nuts for something that is essentially rubbish.

But if you are seriously telling me that there is nothing worth buying the Wii U for, that it does nothing that someone would find useful or interesting, then Nintendo are doing the right thing. They have made a turkey and they are letting it die, without wasting any marketing money on it.

It's not quite so binary. Wii = Instant appeal to many. Wii U = harder to understand why it's great. Those are inherent attributes of both consoles.

Personally I think the Wii U has plenty of great qualities but they are harder to explain and probably won't ever appeal to as broad an audience as the Wii did.

Marketing exists because very few products are phenomenons. Most products AREN'T mind blowing like the Wii was. Now, that's hard for you to grasp. You don't like the Wii. You think people must've been duped into buying one. That's not the case, dude. People bought the Wii, loved the Wii, told their friends about the Wii and then they bought Wiis. And their friends. Eventually everybody had a Wii. And they loved it. And they recently voted it best console ever.

Eh, who says I don't like the Wii? I thought it was great!

The fact remains, they marketed the shit out of it BEFORE it went on sale. They hyped it to fuck. Which is why people talked about it, and wanted one. They knew what it did before they ever saw one.

The fact that it was a great product was another reason why it succeeded, but it was not the main one.

MInecraft. I've no idea what it is. My kids and all his mates are/were absolutely apeshit for it.

I've seen no marketing for Minecraft. I'm still not sure what it it. It is a fucking massive success though.

While there are always exceptions, that is not even a comparable analogy, is it?