IGNORED

What would you do if you were Mr Iwata (laughs)

JPickford

Rebrand it, call it anything but the 'Wii - U' which i'd rate as the worst name for a console in history. Just say it out loud.

" I want a Wii U with Nintendo Land " just sounds so cheesy. Pack it in with something with massive brand awareness like Mario Kart.

They need to really gain momentum by Christmas or it'll be all over bar first party support soon, and that will only get you so far (Hugs Saturn and Dreamcast)

Of course they won't do any of the above, and I'd put money on it being the last home console from Nintendo. Chasing grandpa's money for too long has done them no favours in the long run. I can understand why they would continue to target that market, but if you're going to chase the mom n pop consumers then do it with solid advertising and make it as easy for them to digest as possible.

If you're chasing a demographic that still plays new consoles on CRT's from 1998 you'd better make it as straightforward as possible, not launch what looks like a tablet upgrade that comes in 2 flavours with wildly different price points that looks like something they've already got underneath the TV.

Please understand, I would use my position to mess with people on the internet as much as possible. Pretending to fire Miyamoto, etc.

Maybe fly scottr out under the pretence of giving him a lifetime achievement award and then when he got here get every big developer at Nintendo to tell him they hate him and wish he would stop buying their consoles.

Has anyone seen this, though? I thought bits of it were quite interesting:

7wzgt9f.png

I actually think the rot will be nigh on impossible to stop with this big name devs pulling out, and a total lack of support compared to it's peers. Whether it's a lack of forward planning or arrogance in their own belief that a touch screen will save the day and wow gamers to purchase.

Either way it feels old hat and outdated already which is suicide with whats looming.

Wii 2 would be an improvement.

I love the Netflix for games idea. They have such a huge library. If they had everything from NES to GC/Wii games on there it would be amazing.

I'm reasonably confident they can recover so long as they get the price down and get a decent library of titles.

They need to rely less on the Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart titles as people have grown tired of these

Is there any evidence of this?

and get more western developers under their wing.

Yeah, they should fund more titles like they did with Lego City.

I would honestly buy a Wii U if it was fifty quid with a game, and I don't even buy games anymore.

That is the only way they will sell. The Wii U is finished, they should just cut their losses, scrape what they can out of existing stock, and either design a new console or, far more sensibly, forget consoles altogether. If they concentrated on games only, they might be able to come up with something new, rather than offering gamers the same old piss in a different shaped bottle every few years.

beg for Dark Souls 2

Not Nintendo's style. What they would be more likely to do, and would in my opinion be better served doing, is to get From to make something else in a similar vein, albeit exclusive. When Dark Souls 2 was just on everyone's wishlists I recall guessing what the name would be. I kinda hoped it would be something other than just Dark Souls 2, I wanted something like Desperate Souls, or Desolate Souls.

So, that is what I would do. I would search for games that gathered similar cult levels of love, and get new exclusive versions of them on board. There have to be plenty of devs out there who would love to make a sequel to something that EA or Acti no longer want to fund. It won't get the masses buying, but they will get large chunks of the hardcore on board.

I would honestly buy a Wii U if it was fifty quid with a game, and I don't even buy games anymore.

That is the only way they will sell. The Wii U is finished, they should just cut their losses, scrape what they can out of existing stock, and either design a new console or, far more sensibly, forget consoles altogether. If they concentrated on games only, they might be able to come up with something new, rather than offering gamers the same old piss in a different shaped bottle every few years.

Bit premature isn't it? Wait till at least Nintendo shows it's big guns next week.

Bit premature isn't it? Wait till at least Nintendo shows it's big guns next week.

Like I said, same old piss in a different shaped bottle. The chances of the 'big guns' being anything other than that is slim at best.

Rebrand as Wii 2.

Agressively reschedule games they already have in development to hit or even improve their end dates. (This means throwing money at them)

Price cut as well as bundles.

Throw money at devs to port their forthcoming big titles.

Support western devs by throwing money at them and starting satellite studios.

Employ an amazingly expensive and therefore (usually) good advertising agency to promote the relaunch/rebranding heavily.

I guarantee doing those things, together with Nintendos game making talent, will save the console. It won't win them the generation but it will get them in good shape and give them another shot at the next gen next time. Funnily enough they all require money in some form or another..

I haven't seen a hardware launch this bad since Sega Saturn, and a decent batch of games couldn't "save" that, either. But then, I don't think it really matters to us, does it? So long as it DOES have some games worth playing eventually, it'll come good in the end. It probably won't do amazing at retail, but hopefully well enough to avoid being labelled a complete disaster.

You go where the games are, right? Well, except for Xbone. Never in my life have I seen one company do so much to ensure their product ends up consola non grata.

The one-two punch of Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros Wii U were obviously meant to be enough to kickstart the machine, the first one being the Wii Sports-like game designed to show off why you needed the WUP and the new gameplay possibilities it would bring and 2D Mario would mop up the rest, neither has worked, and even if people have shown others Nintendo Land, it isn't having anywhere near the same effect on sales that playing Wii Sports did, the most unlikeliest to ever willing own a games console crowd seemed to be buying that machine off the back of that experience.

Unless they have a brand new killer app ready to go, and going by their E3 decisions, I highly doubt that, they'll double down on their N64/GameCube base and pump out the old favourites and trudge along until they can think of something new to wow non-lifers, take your bets on how long that will be.

I haven't seen a hardware launch this bad since Sega Saturn, and a decent batch of games couldn't "save" that, either. But then, I don't think it really matters to us, does it? So long as it DOES have some games worth playing eventually, it'll come good in the end. It probably won't do amazing at retail, but hopefully well enough to avoid being labelled a complete disaster.

You go where the games are, right? Well, except for Xbone. Never in my life have I seen one company do so much to ensure their product ends up consola non grata.

I think the 3DS launch was even worse...

It'll be GameCube 2. It'll make Nintendo a profit and will be home to some amazing games... but you'll probably want something else for those big 3rd party games that don't get ported. I'm sorely tempted by a PC.

Surely the Wii succeeded because at the time you could not open a magazine about almost anything or a newspaper for about a year without seeing a Wii experience article shoehorned into it somehow.

Who's doing the Wii U PR, I think it's just Scott, isn't it? I met him at the Bath meet and he didn't even mention the Wii U, I think even he'd forgotten it was there!

Surely the Wii succeeded because at the time you could not open a magazine about almost anything or a newspaper for about a year without seeing a Wii experience article shoehorned into it somehow.

Who's doing the Wii U PR, I think it's just Scott, isn't it? I met him at the Bath meet and he didn't even mention the Wii U, I think even he'd forgotten it was there!

But why did it break through into the mainstream consciousness and get grannies and parents to buy one (to use for themselves, rather than their (grand)children)? it had a compelling new killer app, so hey, it really is all about the games in the end.

Nintendo like their withered technology philosophy (or cheap stuff if I was to be uncharitable about that mindset), what new fangled control mechanism currently exists but is too expensive to implement in a mass market product? VR, fancy hands free control methods? pick one and guess what gameplay possibilities they could bring, and if Nintendo continue to go down that new controller route, you'd have reasonable odds of guessing where they might try next to capture the imagination of non-lifers.

The 3DS implemented an idea that has existed for over a decade, as they revealed they had tried it already with the GameCube over a decade previously but it was too expensive to sell to normal people.

Get Mario Kart out and bundled with the machine for £200. Shove it in people's faces with TV ads, demo pods, and so on. Get the ultimate present on the shelves for Christmas, "The Mario Box", a yellow cube with a large question mark on four sides. Inside is a Wii U, a 3DS, and both Mario Kart and a Mario platformer pre-installed on each system. Two consoles, 4 Mario games, £400. Possibly the same as the launch prices for the Xbone and PS4 on their own.

Make the most of the success of the 3DS. At the moment they are completely unconnected, they should be part of the same ecosystem. For example, you remember with the Dreamcast how you could play minigames on the VMU and this contributed to your main game progress? That would be great on a Wii U. There should be more incentives for cross-ownership. It is a huge trump card for Nintendo, they are the producers of the most popular portable console. It should be supporting the Wii U, and vice versa, by offering owners new ways to play with both systems.

The system needs a Wii Fit or Wii Sports success story. Develop tonnes of old party games which will be instantly familiar to the older audience. Pictionary, Scrabble, Cluedo, Trivial Pursuit, etc. All with gamepad pass-play for family gaming in the living room, and online play for tournaments. 100-1 was brilliant on Xbox Live and I am amazed it stopped so abruptly. The Wii U is perfect for a similar title which could be a real USP for the console.

Incentives for retailers, too. They need to actually sell the bloody things, otherwise what is the point of getting the games out there in the first place?

But why did it break through into the mainstream consciousness and get grannies and parents to buy one (to use for themselves, rather than their (grand)children)? it had a compelling new killer app, so hey, it really is all about the games in the end.

Problem is the killer app turned out to be a temporary fad among the grannies and parents. It was never going to carry through to it's successor, though some seem to have bet it would.

- Rebrand as Super Wii and add some colour to that utterly sterile looking console and controller. It would only exacerbate the product confusion to begin with, but it would be worth it for the nostalgic good feelings it would generate among 90s kids.

- Expand the VC to include every major game, and revamp the pricing structure to: $0.99 NES, $1.99 SNES, $2.99 N64, $4.99 GC. Suddenly everything would become an impulse buy.

- New Mario Kart in time for Christmas with cel-shaded visuals, narrow tracks, and that loose handling that made the original game so satisfying. I'd also cut the cast of characters down to the truly iconic ones (bye bye Waluigi), cull the gimmick items, and make it FAST...

- But not as FAST as F-Zero SX, which marks a triumphant return for the king of racers. It's super FAST, the tracks make your head spin, and you can race online in brutal 30 player races. SX sells, so SX be best selling F-Zero game ever.

I think that's backwards. The Wii was in every magazine & newspaper because it had a novel concept that was easy to understand. It deserved coverage because it was something special and that of course fed back into sales.

Wii U is also brilliant but not easy to understand or quite as unique. And of course because of that it isn't turning heads in quite the same way.

This is a rare case where you can't blame the marketing dept.

Invent a time machine to prevent the whole games industry slowly going down the toilet since 2008.

Go back to the Wii or Gamecube launch titles and see how many of those publishers and developers are even in existence now.

Example. Gamecube Launch: Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2

Can't help but think it would have been a great call to collaborate with apple, making a premium build console which used the iPad, iTunes, and the Nintendo store together, lightning cable to macs as a monitor.

Ah well dream on dreamer

Invent a time machine to prevent the whole games industry slowly going down the toilet since 2008.

Go back to the Wii or Gamecube launch titles and see how many of those publishers and developers are even in existence now.

Example. Gamecube Launch: Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2

True, but I'm pretty certain the N64 and Gamecube both had major software droughts regardless.

True, but I'm pretty certain the N64 and Gamecube both had major software droughts regardless.

First party dependent consoles always have that problem. Look at the Saturn.

VF & Daytona

<long drought>

VF2, Virtua Cop and Sega Rally

<long drought>

Nights & Virtual On

<long drought>

Virtua Cop 2, Sega Touring Car, Manx TT, Fighters Megamix

Waited ages for a proper Sonic game, never came

The N64 had exactly the same problem. Nintendo games came in waves, with long waits between.