IGNORED

What would you do if you were Mr Iwata (laughs)

JPickford

The consensus seems to be that the Wii U is in trouble. I see it a little differently in that I believe people primarily buy games and hardware is just a necessary evil. What has gone wrong with Wii U is the game's haven't arrived (yet).

Supposedly we have lots of great games coming before the end of the year. What would you do to turn the situation around?

My Suggestion:

A series of £200 bundles. Each is basically the current premium model with Nintendo land + 1 proper new game. There will be a bundle for Mario Galaxy/Universe, one for Mario Kart and every other key title. Perhaps each bundle has its own themed livery.

Also: Make Wii motes £15 or less.

Honestly? I still think the main issue is the previous wii/casual market doesn't know/care about the console at the moment and gets it confused with the Wii.

I would redesign the console to look NOTHING like the Wii. In fact make it look really different from the wii- definitely do not make it white (basic wii u lol) as I'm sure that is the iconic colour of the wii. Then in advertising don't just show the controller- that will continue the possible mix up of it being an add on to the wii, show the different console. Obviously still make it look family friendly- not some tech geek behemoth.

I would forget about courting third parties at this time and concentrate on increasing userbase through Nintendos own library. Once the userbase increases, and some third party support might come along.

Heavily advertise at xmas- new mario kart, new redesign, new message- have a varied ad with a bit of footage of a new popular nintendo game on the telly a room full of people playing mario kart/nintendo land- one of someone giving up the tv to continue on the pad and another where someone is watching netflix/on the net on the pad (maybe mum/wife- have her on pinterest or something- sexist lol!). Focus on the multi-use of the pad- don't have cringe worthy footage of some dickhead on a coach throwing ninja stars from his pad or shitting himself in zombi u or whatever.

Bundle in a disc with some virtual console games also- some classic mario ones maybe. The disc can lead you to the VC directly to buy other games.

BOOM

Really though, yes, it's obviously about the games. The hardware's fine, or at least not a major issue. I'd say it's a bit expensive in the current climate, and it's being sold badly (or not at all). But for people on the forum, one or two classics will (or should) make it a must buy.

My main problem is that I have doubts about Nintendo's ability to make compelling new titles. There've been too many Mario Karts. The last Zelda was good but not, imo, great. I've lost a bit of faith in their ability to make really great games. But if they do, obviously, I'd get one. For the general public though, they've not only to make appealing titles, but reduce the (manufacturer) price (or at least stop undercutting it with the Wii) and start doing some decent advertising and promotion, something that really does distinguish the console from its predecessor.

Of course, to do that, you have to have the software. Nintendo really do need a new killer IP, like Wii Sports was last gen. Without a fresh title that could only be played on Wii U - and one that has a broad appeal - they'll suffer with sales. Unless the console costs jack all, of course.

I don't know if renaming a console is viable but the Wii bit I think is a mistake. Just as the DS bit of 3DS (clever though that name is) just confused the market.

So Wii U is now the: Nintendo WIN and it relaunches in Nov in a series of 6 amazing unique bundles.

What if they just dropped the Wii bit or minimised the use of it (tiny font on the box- minimal use in advertising/materials)

The Nintendo U. Nintendo U Pad. Advertise to make it look like it is a Nintendo console where you basically get an ipad too that can share content easily back and forth with the TV. Can an ipad flick a picture or video by swiping up to the tv? Can it fuck. Can a ipad play mario kart? Can it f...you get it.

Not so bad is it? Yeah, it is pretty awesome.

Nintendo U Paid (Too Much For This Lol).

Nintendo U Sad? (At the decline in your share price).

Nintendo U Mad? (Bro (as in 'space marine' gamers, angry at the U's underpowered RAM and CPU/GPU)).

NIntendo U Pad, though. Yeah, good idea - it's white, yeah? Market it at menstruating women (there are lots of them - an untapped market). You can only download adult titles once a month for a period of three to four days, when it's safe to do so. Bring out an updated model every month - a slimmer one, makes the previous model look like a clunky abomination. Yeah, they obviously have form here, good thinking.

Mention the Xbone then cut to a shot of him undoing his trousers and laying a log on the console AVGN style while muttering something about "Next gen?" and laughing.

Rename the console as mentioned above.

Cut the price of Virtual Console games.

Launch a PlayStation Plus-like service. Even if it only had Wii and VC games on it there would be some value.

Sack anyone in the company in a marketing managerial capacity.

3D Pokemon MMORPG

F-Zero online

that's it

no actually this thread is more posed like; what would you do to actually remind people the wii u exists because people keep forgetting. Well I do. Nintendo can repeat themselves to the point where like an advert I just choose to not register it properly, then I notice the console in hmv, (the controller much bigger than my memory of holding a Gamegear in my hands when I was 6) and the games on offer do so little that's worth remembering that another half a year later I've forgotten it exists again. If I was Iwata I'd ask myself the question; do I care about videogames, even a little bit? Then I'd ask the same question to everyone at the company and throw money and resources at all the talented people whose soul is being destroyed and talent wasted and liberate them with the words; make what you want.

actually just F-Zero online will do

Make one last Nintendo direct and just say 'sorry, I shall be resigning - directly' then do that stupid little signature hand movement. Fades to white. A lesson in poor messaging/marketing and more importantly scheduling.

Oh the tired endless titles thing again... Most big franchises have had 3 releases thus generation, Halo has had 5. We've had two Metroids (both completely different), 2 galaxy games and 2 Zeldas... And the Zeldas were years apart.

If I were Iwata, I'd be recruiting more western talent from great companies that EA or Activision have shat on, and set up little Retros to ensure that Nintendo were competing in every major genre. Particularly open world western RPGs, historic, fantasy and sci-fi.

I think we'll start to see the fruits of their efforts with Indies quite soon as well.

They've got that for Christmas. They turned the 3DS around the exact same way... The problem is that they shouldn't be here in the first place.

If anything, they should seize on the negativity around the Xbone and general concerns about the direction these companies want to take gaming at E3 and come out confident and demonstrate real value to gamers. A badly timed price cut which offers no further value can do more harm than good.

I think that the job they did with Wii was probably too good in terms of the casual audience - there are probably a large number of consoles that exist as Wii Sports or Wii Fit machines, and their owners don't pay much attention to the other software, so why change platforms when they can still do their bowling on their last-gen machine?

At the same time, the Pro controller (or whatever it's called) and better specifications could have brought in the kind of games we enjoy on PS3 and 360, but people who enjoy those games already own them on Sony and MS's machines. So I think everyone's happy where they are, and they won't shift to a new machine unless it has some killer exclusives that they can't find anywhere else. In short, I'll wait and see how Bayonetta 2 is received. :)

The wii was a great family machine and a huge novelty, however the wii u I find really unappealing in every way, it looks cheap and very childish in a very uncool way, and zombi u was and still is the only game I fancied. But doesn't warrant a purchase especially with ps4 and xbone looming.

I bet panic on the streets of mushroom kingdom is in full effect

They need to rely less on the Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart titles as people have grown tired of these and get more western developers under their wing. As mentioned do netflix style service for virtual console where you have access to entire back catalogue for a subscription fee or reduce cost of purchasing titles. Setup a proper accounts system for transferring games to other hardware. Eshop for ds/3ds and Wii u should be combined and games playable on either home console or handheld (obviously some Wii u games could not run on 3DS).

The consensus seems to be that the Wii U is in trouble.

Supposedly we have lots of great games coming before the end of the year. What would you do to turn the situation around?

It doesn't need turning around. The Wii U will sell when the games come out.

We've had the 3DS reveal of Monster Hunter 4 so they should pull out the stops to confirm the Wii U version sharpish.

Also engineer it for the console better this time with more useful pad integration and a new engine rather than an upscaled 3DS version with some slightly better textures.

I do want one, the game pad aspect of being able to play full games while the TV is blaring whatever shit my girlfriend is watching really appeals but fuck me, the games just aren't there at the moment. Whatever you say about 'ooh there's loads of franchises on other systems' is true but I see another Mario/Zelda/Metroid and just mentally shudder. I'll play them, but I want something fresh.

I'm entirely on board for a price cut bundle. Not sure I'd even pay £200 to be honest though, I'd be looking at closer to £150 before I'd dip in the way it's looking at the moment.

If Nintendo were sensible they would re-launch the Wii U closer to the xbone/ps4 release. Run a large marketing campaign (the new 3d mario/mario kart should be here around the release of the new consoles). Price it at a sensible price - ie £200 but perhaps even up drive to a 64GB.

I still think they should show a family playing wii u, then the mum comes in and says turn of the tv and the kids continue on the gamepad (or husband switches to cod on the pad). Maybe even mention you can trade games to friends, something we take for granted now.

Hopefully after e3 though things should start looking a bit brighter.

Games, games, games and all coming out soon - not in November or Q1 of next year.

A new 3D Mario that isn't Galaxy 3, but something even more amaze. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc

Some new clever and innovative IP - that looks so interesting and fun to play that the lack of graphical power against PS4 & Xbone games being shown doesn't matter. Basically, 2 non sequel, Mario games that are generally considered well within the top 10 of the best games shown across all formats.

The sub model for virtual console is a great idea - all that back catalogue playable on the game pad would be great.

I think that the job they did with Wii was probably too good in terms of the casual audience - there are probably a large number of consoles that exist as Wii Sports or Wii Fit machines, and their owners don't pay much attention to the other software, so why change platforms when they can still do their bowling on their last-gen machine?

At the same time, the Pro controller (or whatever it's called) and better specifications could have brought in the kind of games we enjoy on PS3 and 360, but people who enjoy those games already own them on Sony and MS's machines. So I think everyone's happy where they are, and they won't shift to a new machine unless it has some killer exclusives that they can't find anywhere else. In short, I'll wait and see how Bayonetta 2 is received. :)

Yeah, I know a lot of older people that bought a wii specifically for wii fit and a ds for brain training and haven't really bought much else. If they have something specific for Wii U like that then it would probably shift a lot of consoles to people that wouldn't have bought one otherwise, but the problem again is they might not be interested in any other ip's.

From the years I spent working for Game, we knew of a definite "do not do" list when launching a new console, and Wii-U ticks all the boxes.

Multiple versions of the main console, causing customer confusion - which one to buy?

Using existing controllers and accessories causing more confusion - is it a new console? Or another Wii? We've already got a Wii gathering dust under the TV, thanks.

Merchandising in store with existing Wii consoles. The low number of games available means shops don't want to devote space to it. Wii U is currently occupying the top 2 rows of the Wii section in my local store, and has no real prominence.

No new software - the TV adverts showed the side scrolling Mario game that looks exactly like the old Wii games.

No obvious killer app - there may be a killer app that people on this forum know and love, but there's nothing that's excited the mass market.

Games are too expensive - £49.99 didn't work on the Xbox360, it will never work, it's too much. And to go into Game and see Preowned Lego City Underground at £47.99 is a piss take.

Reputation for replacement improved console within a year - Nintendo surely released the touch screen with a stylus so they could do a capacitive version for Xmas 2013. And to make it smaller.

Very low key launch - seriously - has there ever been a launch of a new console with as little marketing or advertising as this?

My advice to Mr. Iwata: When Nintendo release the smaller redesigned Wii-U, make that version of the console the standard - don't do multiple packs. Make sure that pack comes with all the controllers needed. Launch it at the same time as the new Mario, Metroid, Zelda etc. Price the games at £29.99. Then, treat it as an opportunity to start over. Do a new launch as if it was a brand new machine. Because right now, apart from hardcore gaming fans, people don't even realise the Wii U exists.