So this is coming soon.

From the Stephen King book and written for TV by King and Brian K. Vaughan (Comics writer 'Y: The Last Man', 'Pride of Baghdad').

I liked the book and with Vaughan attached, I'm pretty excited.

I'm struggling to see how they plan to stretch this out as an ongoing series.

I hope they don't concentrate on the mystery of the dome aspect too much as the reveal of it's cause in the book was laughable.

I'm struggling to see how they plan to stretch this out as an ongoing series.

I hope they don't concentrate on the mystery of the dome aspect too much as the reveal of it's cause in the book was laughable.

It's quite a long book, I don't think they'll have much trouble getting a whole series out of it.

It's been a while since I read it, but the reason for the dome was definitely the weakest part of the story. Before that though, some really nice characters, both good and evil. I remember the reveal being pretty quick too, so hopefully the series will follow suit and won't focus on that too much.

There's a brief trailer here.

I was remiss in my opening post not embedding the trailer.

I was looking at the Wikipedia page and saw that one of the writers is Rick Cleveland who apparently wrote stuff for Six Feet Under and The West Wing.

I have similar concerns to you Harsin. Not that I think there's a lack of source material, but that it could be dragged out/truncated because of ratings. There seem to be good people involved though, so I'm optimistic.

I have similar concerns to you Harsin. Not that I think there's a lack of source material, but that it could be dragged out/truncated because of ratings. There seem to be good people involved though, so I'm optimistic.

It does say 'mini series' in the trailer though, which is exactly the kind of length I was thinking. Anything more than the 8-10 hour mark would probably be stringing it out a bit too long.

It does say 'mini series' in the trailer though, which is exactly the kind of length I was thinking. Anything more than the 8-10 hour mark would probably be stringing it out a bit too long.

I thought the show runners had confirmed that this mini-series would NOT cover the entire book though and that they could even - assuming it is a hit off course - extend the story as they see fit.

I thought the show runners had confirmed that this mini-series would NOT cover the entire book though and that they could even - assuming it is a hit off course - extend the story as they see fit.

Really? I didn't know that- OK, now I'm much more trepidacious :wacko: Doesn't mean it can't necessarily be good, but the whole 'extending the story' makes me rather uneasy.

Really? I didn't know that- OK, now I'm much more trepidacious :wacko: Doesn't mean it can't necessarily be good, but the whole 'extending the story' makes me rather uneasy.

I think they are very keen on showing how things would go under - book spoiler for those who haven't read it

Big Jim's despotic rule, long-term, rather than rush to the whole Alien children are treating us as toys thing

I did enjoy the book, but Big Jim is such a loathesome character I'm not sure I wanted to see him realised in the flesh!

Yeah

I'm not sure I'd want to wait indefinitely for his comeuppance if they decide to extend it

I really enjoyed the book, Stephen Kings portrays small town america and the rot just under the surface brilliantly and although the same basic theme crops up in many of his books I find it compelling every time.

But if there is one thing we have learn't they never translate well to screen. Ok never is an exaggeration there are some great films based on his work, and when they are good the are incredible. But usually? Terrible. this looks like it's going to be terrible.

I'd like to be proven wrong though!

• 5 weeks later...

I can't believe we got this so quickly after the US here!

The opening is quite nicely done, but the kid with the stalker issues is just so mind-numbingly bad that I've found it derailing the entire show. They're certainly introducing as many cast members and mysterious backgrounds or coincidences as is possible. Good cast, stalker-kid aside, but I do get the impression that they wanted Josh Holloway for the lead and had to settle for a guy doing an impression of Josh Holloway.

Still, an interesting premise.

We're going to watch it with our dins tonight.

The reviews I've been reading says it ends differently from the book with King having approved the changes. It keeps being mentioned in the same breath as Lost but I'm hoping it wont go on for 36 series.

I can't believe we got this so quickly after the US here!

The opening is quite nicely done, but the kid with the stalker issues is just so mind-numbingly bad that I've found it derailing the entire show.

I kept thinking of Tom Welling from Smallville whenever he appeared on screen.

I know it may sound stupid and ive nkt read the book, but Couldnt they just tunnel under?

I have no doubt it'll be explained, but if you really want to know now, in the book:

It's actually a sphere and not a dome.

I assume it'll be the same on TV.

I thought it was a bit meh so far. The entire time I was watching it I felt that it really needed to be on a cable channel and not network, it already feels ridiculous that this kind of thing is happening and people can't say anything stronger than "crap" let alone as things continue to go south. Besides that it has that artificial glossy sheen that most network stuff has, with the exception of a couple of stalwart character actors the cast all look like your blandly pretty L.A. bots who usually make up the casts of identikit procedurals. I certainly didn't envision the reporter looking like she'd just wandered off a photoshoot. The kid playing Jim Jr. is laughably poor, I've been rewatching Arrested Development recently and he reminded of the episodes where the Hot Cops are trying to pretend to be menacing. As for Jim himself, it's going to take me a while to get used to Hank in the role, I had an incredibly vivid mental picture of Powers Boothe in the role when reading the novel.

They've already made some substantial changes to the source material (I can't remember if the whole no sound thing was in the book, my vague memories say no, but it has been a long time since I read it), so at least it'll keep me on my toes plot wise if I continue watching and I see someone has posted that they've changed the ending and trust me that can only be a good thing.

I have no doubt it'll be explained, but if you really want to know now, in the book:

It's actually a sphere and not a dome.

I assume it'll be the same on TV.

I assumed that would be the case too, without even having read the book. It seems the obvious thing to do.

What I was wondering is if there's a finite amount of breathable air inside. They've got what was trapped in there with them and no more. Or maybe the point isn't even mentioned at all.