MS Confirm Disc Releases Tied To Account

Harsin

Thought this was in danger of being lost in the tumult of the Xbox Reveal thread.

While it's not always online, it looks like one of our worst fears was true.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

Theres one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the consoles hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play, the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a used game? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

I don't buy second-hand games, but I do like having the opportunity of reclaiming some value from my purchases when I end up with a turd (imagine having Aliens: Colonial Marines stuck in your collection forever more) and I can see me taking far less chances on games with this system.

Sony have been pretty coy on this subject so far, so it will be interesting to see what approach they take.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

Wonder if that applies to accounts that 'live' on the same box.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

What's to stop just one person buying the game, passing it around and everyone just paying the fee - it's still going to be cheaper than everyone buying the game individually. I presume it's got to be the same as now, where the disk has to be in the drive to check that you still physically have it.

For me it is not really EA, MS and perhaps also Sony giving the finger to gamers. I see it as more of an attack of retailers, who have done very well out of selling used games for practically the same price as they would be new, now they can't do that. The side effect is now you can't lend games to friends, and you need to know a game is good before you buy it, because you aren't getting rid if it's shit. Physical media sold at retail isn't an irrelevance in gaming yet, but this should accelerate the trend towards downloads.

What's to stop just one person buying the game, passing it around and everyone just paying the fee - it's still going to be cheaper than everyone buying the game individually. I presume it's got to be the same as now, where the disk has to be in the drive to check that you still physically have it.

How much is the fee? Is it set by MS or individual publishers?

So I buy a game new, install it to my console and then it's locked to my account. I never need the disc again, so I sell it on to someone who then pays a fee to install it to their account.

I think that's quite a leap you've taken there. Will probably be like installing on the 360, all the stuff you need is on the hard drive, but it won't do anything without the disk.

I think that's quite a leap you've taken there. Will probably be like installing on the 360, all the stuff you need is on the hard drive, but it won't do anything without the disk.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

The Wired article then elaborates: "What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner."

I'm just going by that article:

You can install any game from the disc to the consoles hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Unless the hard drives are massive, you'll need to delete games when it fills up - especially if it uses blu-ray disks. Presumably, you'll need to hang onto the disk to reinstall it when you want to play it again.

Unless the hard drives are massive, you'll need to delete games when it fills up - especially if it uses blu-ray disks. Presumably, you'll need to hang onto the disk to reinstall it when you want to play it again.

You'll probably have the license to download the game online so you won't need the disc simply to reinstall. Like steamworks games. Once you register it on steam, you can pretty much throw the disc away.

I imagine that you'll be able to download a compressed game from the cloud once you've unlocked it on your account. Would make sense anyway, as they'll be offering disc-less purchases, surely?

Unless the blu-rays have a writeable section, doesn't this news also confirm that all Xboxes MUST be online? Maybe not always, but for installation.

Are we reaching a point where the internet will be everywhere anyway, without the need for routers?

Also if it's tied to an Xbox Live Account, what's to stop me sharing that Account with everyone, or if the installation is tied to my account and my machine, what happens if the machine breaks. Do I have to buy/replace the machine and repurchase all my install fees.

Also if it's tied to an Xbox Live Account, what's to stop me sharing that Account with everyone, or if the installation is tied to my account and my machine, what happens if the machine breaks. Do I have to buy/replace the machine and repurchase all my install fees.

I imagine it will basically run exactly the same as Steam, with account selling against the terms (and law?) and online purchases gradually taking over from discs.

PCs, with their Steam sales, are starting to look like a real contender for the console crowd.