What was the best trilogy this gen?

Moz

Title says it all.

Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Dead Space, Uncharted etc.

It's surprisingly hard considering the third game in almost every trilogy this gen has been cack or thereabouts. The trilogy has to have started and ended on the current gen.

I'd have to say Mass Effect. Despite the third game which was very patchy, the second remains one of my favourite games ever, though the first has the most appealing tone.

You?

Uncharted for me. The first was a great Tomb Raider clone, the second one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had, while the third just played it save gameplay wise, but pushed the tech to breaking point.

I love the characters in Uncharted and even an average game would have me hooked as they're just like a bunch of mates and it's simply fun hanging out with them.

I have two.

Mass Effect. I know a lot of people come down on the third one, and generally complain about the series getting less RPG and more shooty-shooty as it goes on, but I tend to see it the other way - I look at Mass Effect 1 as a game which makes you do a lot of shooting (despite being unfocused and having poor combat gameplay) and the two sequels getting successively better at it as they go along. They're also the only story based games I've gone back to this gen, whereas for others a single rinse has been enough.

Phoenix Wright 1-3. Does this count? I think it does. Anyway, I loved all of these titles, and whilst the first is still the standout one, all three of them had very memorable moments. Looking forward to the next ones with great anticipation.

Ask me again at the end of the year. It might very well be the Arkham trilogy. That or Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls II. :)

As it stands, probably ME. For all its flaws, it did a lot right as well. Though UC2 on its own is probably better than most trilogies in their entirety.

I'm not sure Gears of Assassin's Creed count as trilogies, just because they decided not to include a number on some of the releases.

I'll accept Assassin's Creed 1, 2 and 3. OR Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelations. Gears is obviously 1, 2 and 3.

Mass Effect, obviously. They stumbled on the ending but the ambition of the first game, the brave overhaul and sheer polish of the second, and remarkable gameplay rejig in the third are unlike anything I've seen since MGS 1-3.

Alternatively the first Layton trilogy. Talk about your bittersweet endings.

Title says it all.

Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Dead Space, Uncharted etc.

It's surprisingly hard considering the third game in almost every trilogy this gen has been cack or thereabouts. The trilogy has to have started and ended on the current gen.

I'd have to say Mass Effect. Despite the third game which was very patchy, the second remains one of my favourite games ever, though the first has the most appealing tone.

You?

I'd go with Mass Effect series too. I was late to the party with Mass Effect and actually played the second game first thinking I wouldn't care or like it. As it turns out I loved it and then played the first one after finishing the second one and then continuing on. Kind of ruined the story arch a little but I'm so glad I played them.

I'd have to say Uncharted. That's not to take away from ME etc. But in terms of a consistent series that not once dropped in quality (3 played it safe as Strider said) but it still comes out top for me.

I don't think I've fully played any trilogies this gen. Closest is probably finishing Gears of War 1 and 2, but they weren't that great. Played Mass Effect 1 and returned to it on a higher difficulty; really enjoyed it. Bought the second but didn't play it. I think if I'd continued I might say that trilogy is best.

I got Assassin's Creed 2 for a fiver but only played until I could climb up The Duomo. Pretty awful up until then but the game hadn't properly started yet. I've only played Dead Space Extraction which I don't think is part of the main series. Never played Uncharted either; tried the demo of the second game thinking I'd like it but it was just a lot of shooting.

If Phoenix Wright counts though then definitely that. I've finished those and loved them all (though the second wasn't quite as good as 1, 3 or Apollo Justice).

Probably the FEAR series for me. Admittedly I prefer to play FEAR 1 on PC but it also came out on the 360 so it counts! FEAR 3 I found disappointing in comparison to 1 and 2 as it wasn't developed by Monolith but it still was a fun arcade shooter in its own right even if it wasn't really like the first two. I couldn't really pick Mass Effect, Uncharted or Gears Of War as they all had entries I really didn't like very much.

If Phoenix Wright counts though then definitely that. I've finished those and loved them all (though the second wasn't quite as good as 1, 3 or Apollo Justice).

Do you have a heart of stone?!?

Wasn't the second one the game where Maya gets kidnapped by a hitman?

Almost all trilogies this gen have had at least one duff entry. Assassins Creed arguably only has ONE good game in its trilogy (AC2). Bro'hood was great tho.

Gears of War i found a bit disappointing from 2 onwards. Really only love Gears 1, 2 had its moments, 3 was largely forgettable.

Mass Effect 1 was fantastic but flawed, 2 was fantastic but oversimplified, and 3 is just a straight up cover shooter.

Guess ill go with the Stalker trilogy as my favourite so, Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat. Even tho CS was a bit wack, SOC & COP kept me hooked for hundreds of hours.

Assassin's Creed so isn't even a contender. The first one was shit, AC3 was shit, and then there's three AC2 games, of which at least one was shit. So it's not a trilogy, and half the games were shit.

And that's not counting the PSP and Vita ones, either.

Mass Effect 3 is anything but a simple cover shooter, although it's probably not until you play multiplayer that it becomes apparent.

I can't believe I finished single player without ever using a power combo on purpose.

GTA 4 count as a trilogy? Not that I have played all of it, just throwing it out there for everyone else.

Gears of War started absolutely phenomenally, as did Mass Effect. But each definitely flagged towards the end, and I suspect most people only completed the third games out of a sense of Duty.

Modern Warfare?

I'm gonna upvote the Zero Escape and SF4 guys, I agree with them!