IGNORED

Guilty Gear Xrd - Revelator 2 announced

joffocakes

It looks a fair bit sharper than the last Guilty Gear. They do demonstrate some fancy rotating camera nonsense in there too. Plus a lovely blue sky. Here's a gif stolen from NeoGAF. GifGAF.

(GIF was here: GIF now gone)

Even if they hadn't made any advances in how the game looks at all I'd still be pretty damn excited for it. I don't know if any platforms have been announced but a game like that would probably sway me to adopt a next gen console if it comes close to launch.

It looks very nice... But it seems a lot of technology to create a game which looks essentially the same. I hope they do some cool camera work to get the best out of it.

For a fighting game I think it's generally accepted now that, in the long run, it works out cheaper to have 3D models, because it's so much easier to adjust animations when you're balancing the game, altering moves, etc. You don't have to commit to a decision and then send it off to the artist to redraw the sprites each time - you just adjust the programming on the existing 3D model.

It looks a fair bit sharper than the last Guilty Gear.

Not a surprise given that GGX through to Accent Core were all developed with Sega Naomi in mind and so the game runs natively in either 320x240 or 640x480 (I forget if it's 31k only or not) and most of the sprites from Accent Core are basically 12 years old. . BlazBlue was designed to run natively in 720p and looks awesome, and presumably this will too.

Although looking good was something GG ever had to worry about, it still looks great now.

Dumb wishlist:

- hope they clean up the mechanics, because they've always felt a bit disconnected and wobbly, like MvC2 or something.

- a decent range of new fighters, and less weird paedo shit.

- a solid bit of grapple mechanics, and at least one good grappler character to go with that.

- a thorough clean up of all the metal/rock references that the old games were known for; instead of the almost totally random nature of the uses in older games (why is a witch called "I-No" (Brian Eno)? Why does she play a riff from "Mr. Crowley" when she wins? etc.), maybe feed it into the characters and levels a bit.

- real drums in the soundtrack

Not a surprise given that GGX through to Accent Core were all developed with Sega Naomi in mind and so the game runs natively in either 320x240 or 640x480 (I forget if it's 31k only or not) and most of the sprites from Accent Core are basically 12 years old. . BlazBlue was designed to run natively in 720p and looks awesome, and presumably this will too.

Although looking good was something GG ever had to worry about, it still looks great now.

Oh, I know; I was responding to Asura's criticism that it "looks essentially the same".

With the recent character poll that Arc System Works ran, featuring both BlazBlue and Guilty Gear characters, I wouldn't be surprised if theres at least a little crossover in this game or at even a more explicit crossover game in the works. I hope Venom comes back with his pool cue intact. I might play some more of Accent Core on XBLA this week if anyone else is up for that?

Oh man, it's so good to see 3D finally being able to emulate the aesthetic of 2D sprite work faithfully, looks absolutely fantastic. I've dreamed of one of the more popular fighting game franchises adopting that method since seeing such excellent cel-shaded CG in the likes of Naruto and Valkyria Chronicles. Of course, ASG games only have to use four poses from the animation to fully recreate that Guilty Gear feel (har de har), So I'd be very interested to see another company try keyframe animation to maintain the look of more classic games.

..That's kind of a round-about way of saying 'Your turn, Capcom', isn't it?

I'll look forward to giving this a go, though - I've always liked playing XX#R, and Persona 4 Arena is proof that Arc can dumb down the ridiculously convoluted systems that Guilty Gear, HnK and Blazblue had into something rather fun and that mere mortals can understand.

• 2 months later...

There's a location test going on for this game at the moment. I think there's some situation where the arcade owners don't want videos recorded so people will come to the arcade itself to see the game in motion. Still, someone has captured a couple of camerphone vids; one short, the other distant. Still shows the game in lovely motion though. It certainly moves like Guilty Gear. I'm still amazed it's captured the look so well with 3D models in unreal engine. They genuinely look like hi resolution sprites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEdBNhd22Dw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECWJwnFPnyA

There's some clearer still from the location test too. I'll see if I can grab those in a bit.

There's been a few sly videos from the location test now. So far this one is the cleanest footage I've seen. Shows off some of the lovely 3D models too; especially Ky's intro from about 2:30 in:

http://youtu.be/ZaEqPADscLA

And here's a couple of gif from someone on NeoGAF. I tried uploading them myself but they're over 2meg each so imgur didn't wanna play. I'll put them in spoiler tags. It's May's intro and lovely big whale move:

a2dasddad8gxzp.gif

adasdddvkllb.gif

I should really start to learn how to play with an arcade stick, shouldn't I?

GGXX Slash was the second game I bought when buying my Naomi cabinet. Considering the control scheme, using a pad would be counter productive, it really needs playing on a 6 button stick

Quite substantial write up on Xrd here:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/12/taking-venom-and-ky-for-a-spin-in-guilty-gear-xrd-sign/

The way they've made the 3D models look 2D is cute; the way they've made the 3D models *act* 2D is incredible. The slight jerkiness and jumpiness to the animation and limited viewpoints for each character/move are the things that really make it give off that uncanny 2D feel. Awesome.

Yeah I also find the jumpiness of the animation a little offputting. It'd probably look a lot more like 3d models if it ran at 60fps, but I'd prefer the buttery smoothness.

Otherwise, an incredible feat, visually at least! :)

How are Guilty Gear's systems? Are they similar to anything else? The only modern 2D fighter I've played to any level is Blazblu (omg Rachel Alucard)..

Quite different? They have extremely similar control systems and several of the characters in BlazBlue are only superficially different from their counterparts in GG (i.e. Sol, Ky, Potemkin=Ragna, Jin, Tager).

If it wasn't for Sega being dicks with the GG IP for a few years, BlazBlue might not even have existed.. Arc couldn't make Guilty Gear so they made a game that was essentially Guilty Gear on most levels. Moving between the two doesn't take much time or effort.

• 4 weeks later...