IGNORED

Gt4 Prologue...wow!

amc

Got this today and having been kaining PGR2 and having played the prius demo wasnt expecting to be to impressed.

Alls I can say is POLYPHONY have raised the stakes again, I cant believe this is running on my PS2.

Hooked up my GT force and well I'm not hanging around to chat...

Stunning.

I thought it hardly looked any better than 3 personally. The new york track looks quite nice but there is quite abit of pop up on there though which can distract. The grand canyon track don`t look to bad either but the card board cut out people just look plain crap and hope they remove them for the final version. Overall it pretty much plays the same as gt3 except if you whack into the barriers now it gives you a 10 second penalty where your stuck at 50kmh. The thing which will make or break this game is online play but seeing that ps2 online gaming has been nothing but crap upto yet i`m not expecting to much.

Oooh having played it I see your point, not sure about that 10 sec penalty.

Early days but having played for an hour and having indulged in PGR2 I may have been a bit quick.

Still nice though but needs more play.

p.s shady bastards using that (although near ingame) rendered intro, makes you think its ingame, but I havent seen no 3d geezer waving no chequered flag.

it's not that much better than numero trois though graphics wise is it. I mean it's not as good looking as the PGR2.

i mean i only noticed the other day that not only does the car reflect everything perfectly but in the wet tracks everything is reflected on the water as well. intense.

I dont know , as nice as PGR2 looks it has a pastely feel to it were GT3/4 although not having the effects as PGR2 have a more photorealistic look.

And a little spectator animation goes someway to please critics of boths previouse lifeless feel.

PGR2 will take some beating though.

Fuck it this looks superb and handles like Jeramy Clarksons wet dream, GT fans rejoice its more of the same x3.

Citta di Aria in a EVO IV is awesome.

Role on the full game.

I aint pitting this against PGR that would be silly, both sublime but different and SMASHING.

Hey but I like Grandmother Treaclismo 3... as do a lot of chaps.

And a nice bottle of white helps with the ecstatic posting. Seriousely GT3 was a big game to a lot of people and a taste of 4 for me is quite a nice thing.

The nice soundtrack helps too.

I'm just sharing my joy

How's the frame rate after PGR2? I stuck in PGR1 today just for old times sake and was really shocked at how smooth it is. I've been caning PGR2 both online and on single player and it's become my favourite racer in a long time, but after playing PGR1 again the frame rate did stick out.

I'm looking forward to GT4 though, I hope online play is good as it's the main reason I keep going back to PGR2.

Its a good racing. No. Driving game.

Polyphony have pushed the Ps2 about as far as it can go i think. And (as review said) the amount of R+D they did is astounding.

Its even got (semi) realistic crowd movements. Okay, its not ideal, but it still adds to the atmosphere, sadly lacking from many other driving titles.

It will blow the socks of many people, be then, its not really 'much' different from GT3. Given the size of the Rally track, i'm frankly shocked they fitted it all in, and the backgrounds are astounding.

Who have though a 2D background could add so much 'virtigo' and graphical finesse to a game...

01.jpg

a lil' review

Is it not that much different from GT3, then? I've tried and tried to like the Gran Turismo series, I really have, but I find them so, so boring. I've always approached them, though, as racing games and to me they're not. They're driving games, instead. I suspect that's why I find them so dull. I was hoping that GT4 would be a move in the direction I wanted it to go but it seems not. Oh well.

The processing power was put towards a new engine, rather then A.I, which is quite poor.

It does seem a waste having 'racing' tracks in there and no decent race AI, but, then its driving simulator and has always been promoted as such.

Its odd because most simulators tend to be worse graphically, then an arcade game based on the some genre. They've gone the complete opposite way.

And i still say their rally mode is the best. It stomps CMR4.

Come on now, that's not fair, PGR2 and Wipeout don't have any AI either. that's why I can't stand them

I admit that the AI in PGR2 amounts to the cars simply ramming you but at least it gives the impression that they are aware of your pressence.

I was afraid it might have been more of the same. I guess it's the same syndrome as Silent Hill/Resident Evil. They're still competent but a little dull now. I love the first two iterations of GT but lost interest in 3 very quickly. The backgrounds do look pretty tho'.

I admit that the AI in PGR2 amounts to the cars simply ramming you but at least it gives the impression that they are aware of your pressence.

I don't get this beef about PGR2, either you haven't played it enough or I have an enhanced version with superb AI.

The cars do an awful lot more than just ram the player. Unlike in GT3 where the cars just seem to follow the racing line as best they can, there is a real sense of dynamic driving from the PGR2 AI, sometimes they follow the line sometimes they don't. Sometimes they brake too early, sometimes they outbreak themselves. Some cars will indeed ram or try to spin you, others will back out of confrontations. They also do all of these things to eachother, which you can often exploit.

Is it just me? Or does anyone else think the PGR2 AI is the best in any racing game?

I like PGR2's AI but at times it's far too agressive and forces you to resort to ramming tactics to get by. On the Ultimate class races the cars are very wide and some courses very narrow. The AI being quite agressive results in a destruction derby type race where cars are getting smacked around the track.

But I have noticed cars getting out of the way too, and it's good to see them commit errors every once in a while.

It's funny but relatively. I found Ultimate a piece of piss. I really struggled with the couple before though. and yes, I think the AI was pretty tight. Seeing a Viper totally misjudge a bend and drive stright into a wall at mortal speed was highly refreshing. Especially as it gave me me second place gold position on the last bend :P

If GT4 is more of the same as GT3 though, I'll probably still grab it.

Not least so I can play a driving game where I can actually competantly do manual gear changes. And I miss tuning up.

One request though - bring back the GT1 feature whereby doing-up ANY car to it's max race-spec weight stripping resulted in a new paint job. Still got fond memories of my second-hand R33 done out as a blue and yellow speed machine....

One question:

Have they upped the field from 6 at all? Kinda got into the PGR2 8 player races.

I think the AI was pretty tight. Seeing a Viper totally misjudge a bend and drive stright into a wall at mortal speed was highly refreshing. Especially as it gave me me second place gold position on the last bend :P

This actually happens in GT3. I have witnessed on many occasions the computer controlled car losing it because it had over estimated the speed with which it could take a corner.

The best way to trigger this is to drive the car in front hard, this causes them to make mistakes.

The biggest problem with GT3 is the structure is so bad that it prevents people from actually having any fun. If you pick the wrong car for a particular race then things can be either too easy or too hard. Why do Polyphony make it so difficult to find the right circumstances to have a competitive race?

The biggest problem with GT3 is the structure is so bad that it prevents people from actually having any fun. If you pick the wrong car for a particular race then things can be either too easy or too hard. Why do Polyphony make it so difficult to find the right circumstances to have a competitive race?

True, the GT2 HP limit structure worked better for competitive races. A combination of the two would work best IMO

What's this I've heard about a collision penalty? From what I gather, if you hit an object or another car, you're top speed is restricted for a few seconds. Is this in there? Is it turn-off-able? I was really looking forward to this game, as my favourite aspect of any racing game is Time-Trialing, and I've always felt that the GT series was particularly fun when it came to that.

But this Collision penalty? If it's there, it sounds incredibly unnatural, and shoehorned on because their engine is incapble of slowing you down if you strike a solid object (a la GT3), and it's really putting me off the game...

Come on now, that's not fair, PGR2 and Wipeout don't have any AI either. that's why I can't stand them

so that's why in PGR2 when i'm in front of a drone and put on my brake i can see them brake in my mirror or face going straight into the back of me, or they go round the side of me.

i like just giving a glimpse of a brake light and when they try to go round try and screw them over by blocking. you can get quite a good lead.

although i hate it when you're first with two cars behind you. while you're battling with one of them the other bastard will be sneaky and try to get through. best AI ever.