rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Rift - MMO by the makers of Defiance. Going F2P

Might give it a go, now. It's probably the only big MMO that I haven't played at this stage.

Will it run on older machines? One of the problems we had with SWTOR and GW2 is that my lass's computer is too slow for them.

I can't remember. I only played it to level 26 when it first launched but I remember it feeling very WoW like but fresher. Given Trion's rep I expect it's improved a lot since then too.

I did have problems finding viable Soul builds though. I ended up having to hit the forums to find out how things synergised. I remember getting my main down to a single macro :) Bet I can't do that now.

I seem to recall it did have really low graphics settings, so should be fairly accommodating.

The expansion pack was supposed to be pretty good so looking forward to giving that a go and going for the new level cap.

Really enjoyed rifts themselves, especially those during world events, reminded me of the FFXI Campaign Battles.

The Arkfalls in Defiance are carbon copies of the Rifts in err, Rift. And they are amazing.

I think I'll give this a go. I bought it at launch and played the free month, but was too busy to ever sub up. It seemed nice though, and for free is a no brainer.

I just came along to post the same news. I'm suspecting that most people who like MMO's have already tried RIFT, so know what they're getting when it goes F2P. For those who haven't tried it, RIFT is (in my opinion) the only WOW-like MMO which came close to challenging the quality, depth, and scale, of WOW.

RIFT is a superb MMO. It looks gorgeous, it feels like a much more "grown-up" game than WOW, and introduces a number of really good features and gameplay mechanics over and above anything else out there. Definitely give it a try.

They seem to give you a lot more help with soul building now. You have the option of pre defined roles which should really help new players.

If it's that WoW-like, then I probably won't get far into it. Still, F2P, worth a go for a weekend. The initial discovery phase is always interesting regardless of the game.

I've resubbed for a bit until it goes F2P. It took a bit to find my rhythm. The global cooldown just felt too long. Totally in the groove now and the pre programmed soul builds are a godsend. Champions Online needs something like that desperately. I got my Cleric a couple of levels. I like using a Satyr to tank for me. Then I tried my rogue which I struggled with at launch. Dual blades, stealth awesome sauce and that's just one build. Going to try a ranged role next. Then I still have my warrior and mage to play with (I leveled all 4 classes to the 20s after launch).

Structurally it's MMO by the numbers. Go to quest hub, do standard MMO quests, rinse, repeat. Throw in the occasional rift and bob's yer clone. I'm not sold on the art style but the game hangs together very well. Tinkerers and theory crafters will probably love buggering around with the soul system. Given the way they're handling it I don't think F2P gets any better than this. I'm guessing they've had some success with Defiance. It's fun when a zone gets invaded but there aren't enough players around in the levelling zones to really cope with that at the moment. I did see quite a few in the initial zone but I suspect that was people resubbing for a month in advance like me. It'll be better once the hordes decend.

It has a wardrobe system for dress up fans and you get your own instanced house very early on that I believe can be expanded later. Guilds can get this as well.

Rift going F2P seems like great news. i've played a lot of MMOs, and i thought Rift was a very underrated example of the genre. the general questing, art design and lore (such as it is) isn't anything special, but the rifts and the soul system make it a very fun game to play. the rifts are chaotic and fun, giving rewards and encouraging off-the-cuff co-operative play. i really loved the soul system the most though. it gives so many possible builds and play-styles. you can cobble together something yourself that will get you through the quests, or you can look up builds online and use them. you can even switch from one to another quickly and easily, as everyone gets an alternative spec. i played as some kind of wizard, i forget, and was able to switch from a guy who sucked health from his enemies as he fought and a guy who just threw massive fireballs at everything. the two play styles were different enough to make it feel like a proper change when i switched. this new guide system seems like a good idea, too. i'll definitely give it another go when it becomes F2P.

I played up to level 30 our so when it came out and really enjoyed my time with it. Will definitely give it another go when it becomes free.

Just been doing some instant adventures. You get teleported to a zone, changed to the appropriate level and then dumped in a raid group that runs around doing generated quests. It's like an XP hose with good rewards. Very nice feature.

You get to start instantly too. If there's nobody else you're in the raid group yourself. The quests scale to the size of the raid.

Just been doing some instant adventures. You get teleported to a zone, changed to the appropriate level and then dumped in a raid group that runs around doing generated quests. It's like an XP hose with good rewards. Very nice feature.

Yep, definitely trying this.

This is what I mean; what I want to see. You, friends, you click something, you're all playing together. None of this are you the right faction/group/have the right gear/are the right level/are at specifically this place in the quest tree...

The two factions can group, guild and play together now. In fact you can lower your effective level at any time. I think it's there so you don't have to outlevel a zone until you're ready. Just downwards though I think.

You get to start instantly too. If there's nobody else you're in the raid group yourself. The quests scale to the size of the raid.

That's a very good way of putting it. The instant adventure just OOZE XP for everyone involved. It's a fantastic way of levelling up with the added bonus that it's completely grind-free and really good fun whether you're with a PUG or with mates.

Honestly, RIFT does so many very cool things.

I'm downloading and willing to give this another shot. Loved what I played back at launch, even though it was a bit generic and derivative - interested to see what's changed/improved etc.

I reinstalled this a few weeks ago, about the time Raptr were doing the game / expansion / 30 day game play giveaway. I really like the changes they have made since launch. I found the game much easier to get in to this time round, and just love going round taking on Rifts or going on an instant adventure (unfortunately had to solo). I did try and queue for a dungeon but didn't get anywhere, with the veteran reward exp boost I levelled past them relatively quick as well so still haven't seen a dungeon. :( Getting a group for group quests was impossible as well. Then I realised that I could transfer my character to a higher population server! Yay, I think you can transfer them once a week. Much busier where I am now.

I think the pre pathed soul system is brilliant, before when I played I was always concerned about spending soul points "wrongly" and my character being weak because of my poor choice. :wub:

• Upvote 1

I'm downloading and willing to give this another shot. Loved what I played back at launch, even though it was a bit generic and derivative - interested to see what's changed/improved etc.

You liar! :P

You played for 5 mins and then took my mount, money and bags and quit while emoting rude gestures at me.

Anyway, Rift doesn't have dinosaurs or pandas; why would you lower yourself to playing it? ;)

It has better looking tits on humans and elves then WoW does.

(resubbed this week, haven't played enough to say much, but it feels like there is loads to do even in the areas I thought I'd finished back in the day.)

I'm on Icewatch, but think it's full for now and there seems to be queues (not massive ones, but it may worsen when F2P goes live). Keep in mind that you can transfer shards once a week, I have no idea what the level restriction is for transfers though. :) Go TONK!

Im tempted by this, what's the combat like ? I enjoy the combat in Neverwinter because there is some skill not just click and wait for your cool down, you have to aim and dodge etc.

Edit: downloaded it and tried it, lasted about 5 minutes hated it lol

I've reinstalled it, willing to give it a shot if other people are, I have a level 50 Cleric Yswr and a 20 rogue I think.

The only reason I remember quitting this game was because my server died and all my friends left it, I'm on Icewatch.