Other MMORPG's does anyone still play them.

Karthirian

A whole MMO discussion I didn't know about because I never venture into the online thread. I might use my new-found forum powers to move it into discussion and merge it with another thread I was planning on making...

Anyway!

I love MMOs. I try most of the new ones that come out and I always gravitate to whatever class lets me tank, especially if I can use a sword and shield (my ideal weapon setup). I've made some great friends over the years because of MMOs, even bagging a holiday to Norway out of it! I love that new MMO feeling, especially if my bestest MMO buds Nicky, topcat, Rikku, Karthirian and Spork are on board, too. Special mention goes out to Xibxang as, although he doesn't often play MMOs with us, he ensures that when he does, it's always a memorable experience.

World of Warcraft

My first true MMO love and the one I invariably go back to, having played it on and off for almost 10 years now. Too much time invested to ever truly give up and the game is the 'gold standard' I hold other MMOs to. I haven't played it since January; I hit a bit of a lull with it due to end-of-expansion blues. I honestly can't decide if I liked the Mists of Pandaria expansion or not; the story and Pandaren themselves weren't as cute, silly and fluffy as I'd anticipated, but at the same time I really don't feel like they 'fit' in with WoW - it was the first expansion not based on pre-existing Warcraft games (i.e. the RTS series), and I think it showed. Whereas all the old expansions felt like the ongoing story of WoW, Pandaria felt a bit like a weird holiday expansion, where nothing really mattered or had any impact on the real world. This feeling is further compounded by the new expansion, Warlords of Draenor, going back to the well/dead horse to sort-of-but-not-quite reboot the very first Warcraft RTS, Orcs and Humans. The fact that it's all about the bloody Orcs again and set on Outland pre-explosion means it all feels far too similar. The devs seem intent on dumbing down the classes, too, stripping out long-standing abilities left and right, simplifying mechanics, reducing rotations to 3-4 button affairs...I've long argued that things like LFR and LFD weren't dumbing the game down/making it too casual, but rather they were making it more accessible, but it's hard not to see what they've done with the classes as dumbing down and I don't think I like it. :(

Wildstar

My MMO of the moment. A greatest hits compilation that includes all of the best (and some of the worst) aspects of many MMOs from the last decade. Great combat, great art style (although it doesn't capitalise on its sci-fi setting enough, imho), brilliantly challenging and fun dungeons and player housing that I not only care about, but actually love - something that I never thought I'd say! It's not for everyone and seems more divisive than any MMO I've played before, but personally I think it's the best current MMO available.

The Secret World

Ah, TSW. Some of my best memories of MMO dungeonerring come from this game; our nightly excursions into haunted ships and the various levels of Hell were amazing fun. The setting and story was a lot of fun, although the combat was a bit shit. Funcom tried some interesting things with levels/ability points but it didn't really make a lot of difference - there was still a gear grind, people who'd been playing for ages were still way more powerful than a new person and so on. It's the one MMO I'm gutted didn't catch on with the RLLMUK crowd. Such a shame, but it will forever live in my memory as a whole heap of adventure and fun.

Tera

Tanking in this game was the most satisfying tank experience in any mmo I've ever played. The fact you had to physically block attacks, rather than rely on RNG or cooldowns, meant skill and determination won the day. Three manning dungeons with topcat and Rikku was a wonderful experience, but the main core of the game, with terrible quests and weird enemies and a very confused aesthetic, meant it struggled to hold my attention for very long. It should have set the bar for MMO combat to come, but instead it kind of whimpered and died like a fart in a hurricane.

Rift

I can't remember much about Rift other than that the Rifts themselves were pretty much the only unique and fun thing about it. Says it all, really.

Age of Conan

I loved this game, but it ran terribly on my machine at the time, with frequent crashes, memory leaks and general poor performance. The combat was cool and unique at the time, the mature theme and graphic violence was fun, I loved the more realistic vibe of armour and weapons (some of them were amazing) and it had, by far, the best shield slam in any MMO I've ever played. Think 300 and you're halfway there! At release the game was a confused mess, though, with the opening section on Tortage being brilliant, only to quickly be replaced by generic MMO 101 upon hitting the world proper.

Lord of the Rings Online

If there was ever going to be an MMO that took me away from the early days of WoW, I would have thought LOTRO would be it, but instead the terrible combat animation and floaty, almost ice-skating movement put me right off. I love LOTR, the setting and the characters, but I just couldn't get on with this at all. I've tried a few more times over the years, even getting a Hobbit (whatever the class with the spear and shield is called) to about level 17, but it never could grab me the way I'd originally hoped.

Everquest 2

I was well into WoW when a friend convinced me to try this and I hated it. I hated the graphics, I hated the classes (although my frog monk was alright), I hated the boring, generic story and world...I quickly gave up and never went back, although I recognise this game is some people's equivalent of what WoW is to me.

The Elder Scrolls Online

I tried the beta and hated it. I bought it anyway and struggled through, eventually forming a weird 'it's alright, I suppose'/hate (because love/hate would imply I liked it a lot more than I did) relationship with it. I didn't make it past the free month. I thought it was a confused mess of a game, too full of bots and hackers to derive any real enjoyment from. Plus I didn't really like any of the base classes.

City of Heroes

My wife, who hates games, played this more than I did. It seemed janky as all hell aside from the amazing character creation. Sadly I could never create anything truly amazing as I have the imagination of a brick. I did make a tiny monkey man I named 'Atomic Ape', and won a contest run in game for most unique character. That was pretty cool.

DC Universe Online

What a load of utter shit.

Star Trek Online

See DC Universe Online

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

I knew I wouldn't like this, but I tried it anyway. It was better than I was expecting, but it was still shit.

Guild Wars 2

I've said what I think of this in the appropriate thread. Some of it was cool, the dungeons and end game grind killed it stone dead for me. Probably the most disappointing MMO release for me, personally.

Star Wars the Old Republic

I actually really liked most of SWTOR. The PVP was great fun, the classes were cool and interesting, the personal storylines were brilliant, the dungeons were fun, the companions were a cool idea, but the world itself was too big, too empty and too dull, to the point that not even the Star Wars licence could save it. A shame, really. I only really stopped playing because everyone else from RLLMUK did, otherwise I probably would have continued. I actually went back to it a few months ago and really enjoyed myself.

Neverwinter

Everything I'd read told me this game was utter toss, but I actually though it was alright! It was F2P through and through, though, and didn't really hold my interest for all that long. Fun whilst it lasted considering it didn't cost me a penny, though!

Dungeons and Dragons and Vanguard

I can't remember which was which, suffice to say I played both and they were both gash.

Guild Wars

It was a weird fake MMO, more like PSO. I didn't like it much and didn't stick with it for long.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

How can a single MMO do so much so right, and yet so much so wrong? The BEST pvp in any MMO I've played...until you hit about level 30. The creator of the event quest style of questing (As far as I know). Fun classes but generic as hell PVE content.

Matrix Online

A game that completely missed the point of what was cool about both the Matrix and MMOs. Load of gumph.

Star Wars Galaxies

My first ever MMO. Ran like utter crap on my machine - I'm talking single digit FPS, here, so I never got very far into it. A real shame.

Ragnorok Online

My second ever MMO experience. A top-down, cutesy Japanese grindathon. Was pretty shit and yet I played it quite a lot.

Phantasy Star Online (Xbox)

A bit like Guild Wars in that it wasn't really an MMO, but I played hours upon hours of this back in the day over Xbox Live.

I think that's all the MMOs I've ever played! Phew, was quite the trip down memory lane!

list

I pretty much feel exactly the same. It's also quite amazing when you think about how many MMOs you've actually tried over the years - although I'd have to swap SWG and The Matrix for Aion.

What really frustrates me is that there just isn't a perfect MMO out there. They all have flaws, and usually they're different. I think that Wildstar offers better combat than WoW or TOR, but falls well short in the world and lore. I enjoy playing it but I have no incentive to see what's next. Conversely, I'd love to go back to WoW or TOR but the tab-style combat system just feels so slow and clunky now. It would take a big adjustment to get used to it again and I'm just not sure I want to spend that long doing it.

I think the best time I've ever had in an MMO is actually leveling in TOR. I did it all with a friend (levels 40+ with 2) and it was fantastic. The stories were excellent and the conversation system was fun, especially as I was going full dark side and he was going full light. I liked the twist on mob types, where you have the standard MMO mobs usually by themselves (the Strong ones), but large groups of weak enemies that you can aoe down quickly. It really made you feel powerful just charging in to half a dozen guys and slaughtering them. Oh, and double-bladed lightsabers are just so fucking cool.

it's also a shame in a way that it's not always MMOs that I judge, but who I play with. If I'm playing alone or with randoms then I'll never get as much enjoyment out of it as if I played it with my MMO buddies, so I haven't given anywhere near as much time to some MMOs as I should. TSW is a prime example of that.

Wildstar

My MMO of the moment. A greatest hits compilation that includes all of the best (and some of the worst) aspects of many MMOs from the last decade.

I've stopped trying to play MMOs, because I invariably end up going "nah, it's not quite WOW" and then resub to Warcraft. Wildstar did look interesting, but what are the worst aspects you're on about?

I'll link to the post I made about it in the Wildstar thread if you don't mind, as I only posted it yesterday :P

http://officeoffline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/268746-wildstar-hardcore-mmo-forum-guild-exiles-faction-on-ravenous-pvp-server-early-access-starts-saturday-31st-may/page-37

Also, the move back to 20 and 40 man raiding is a terrible, terrible idea. They've done it because they somehow think having more people, like in the old days before everything was made to cater to casuals, was more 'hardcore', completely forgetting the massive, massive ballache actually organising 39 other people to turn up on time, fully prepared with all the necessary gear, buffs etc was.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...