Wolfenstein: The New Order - Gib mir!

Vemsie

You do like quite a lot of mediocre-to-average FPSs though. I mean, full disclosure and that.

This is very true and I've enjoyed many middling/average FPS but I don't agree that Wolfenstein is one of them, I think it's a genuinely great game so far. But ey, different strokes, all I can do is give my opinion on how I feel about it :) Obviously I only speak for myself.

I'm sure everyone's got that one middling/mediocre FPS that they secretly enjoy. Afterall Smitty, you like Halo 2.

Mr woo I love your optimism and your positivity shines that you love the games you play.

I'm just a bit long in the tooth and can't get past the hum drum elements. There have been a couple of standout fun bits the bridge battle for instance showed real promise. And the upgradable weapons are interesting in places with the shrapnel shotgun shells in particular are great.

But mainly it is very very average, the story and cuts scenes are polished and keep you watching. But it's all over the show, the first half of the game overloads you with ammo and the latter part it's far too scarce. And the stealth mechanic is poor as there are no bonuses or rewards once you have maxed out your perks. It's either throwing knife or silent kill which becomes boring. And if you take down the. 2 commanders you can go in guns blazing every time.

Some of the standoff long distance battles are where the game really felt good but they are far too scarce. I think Smitty was right a few pages back abut the focus on the environments.

I think it's the same old story of deadlines and shipping summer drought market fodder.

This might be old news, but I've only just realized it... even though he's speaking English, the game counts what the Welsh Scottish guy is saying as a foreign language (I have subtitles set to "foreign language only" and he's the only English speaker so far that is subtitled). I find that quite amusing.

Mr woo I love your optimism and your positivity shines that you love the games you play.

I'm just a bit long in the tooth and can't get past the hum drum elements. There have been a couple of standout fun bits the bridge battle for instance showed real promise. And the upgradable weapons are interesting in places with the shrapnel shotgun shells in particular are great.

But mainly it is very very average, the story and cuts scenes are polished and keep you watching. But it's all over the show, the first half of the game overloads you with ammo and the latter part it's far too scarce. And the stealth mechanic is poor as there are no bonuses or rewards once you have maxed out your perks. It's either throwing knife or silent kill which becomes boring. And if you take down the. 2 commanders you can go in guns blazing every time.

Some of the standoff long distance battles are where the game really felt good but they are far too scarce. I think Smitty was right a few pages back abut the focus on the environments.

I think it's the same old story of deadlines and shipping summer drought market fodder.

It's all good Dave, I'm just genuinely enjoying it and expressing that, and you and Down By Law find it disappointing. Tis cool!

I must admit I keep forgetting about the perks and haven't unlocked many of them at all, I really must at least try and get a few!

Um...isn't he Scottish?

Fergus ? Aye he is.

Made it to Poland. God damn these cutscenes are quality! The voice acting, writing, animation, etc, all top-notch stuff. Who said that enemies don't react to gunfire? They sure as shit do! Shoot them in the leg and they stagger and fall. Shoot them in the face and well... you know, lots of blood. Also the 1940 weapons didn't really sound all that punchy but as soon as you're in 1960 they definitely sound a lot meatier. Still, the shotgun could've done with a bit of a sound buff. Anyway so far it's been great!

Question: I'm having a lot of vsync issues and I recall someone saying something about D3somethingsomething somewhere? (wow what a sentence). Any tips? As I'm sure as hell ain't using the in-game vsync option as it makes my mouse lag to no end.

Ok made it to London...

What in the fuck are some of you on about by calling this average or less than that? When you get to the hideout I just couldn't believe the level of detail the developers went to with here. It's just a complete labour of love isn't it? Honestly It's rare to see a game with this much attention to detail. The way it conveys its story, world and exposition to the player is done in such a smart way which doesn't feel ham fisted like so many other games these days. And although it does have those documents scattered throughout, for the player to read, the content here is actually engaging (there's context to justify the newspapers).

It's weird because even though it knows it's a game I feel the world around you is far less gamey than a title like Bioshock for example, which is I thought was great but lacked in engaging me on more than a gameplay level and suffered from lazy audio collectables. Here it's the other way around, sure the gameplay isn't anything new but what it lacks in that department it makes up for in just about everything else.

These first three hours alone have left me with a ton of moments I could go on and on about (have you guys checked out that easteregg at the hideout? My jaw dropped). It's just utterly superb.

All that being said, I can see why people think the AI is kind of wank but I have yet to experience any major issues here. Maybe it's because I'm playing on uber? I don't know. I think overall it does its job fine. Nothing to write home about but nothing completely offensive either. I shoot them, they shoot back. Yup, that's Wolfenstein alright!

Based on my first couple of hours I think what Alex over at GB said is fitting:

"Wolfenstein: The New Order is smarter than a game called Wolfenstein probably has any right to be, yet it still manages to capture the hyperviolent spirit of its predecessors."

So far Wolfenstein has been a game which rewarded me every chance it got with exploration and world presence. If this is what an average shooter is nowadays, then I'm not complaining.

All this based on my first 3 to 4 hours with the game lol.

All the above is fair comment but it sounds like you're coming up to the section where you spend all your time being a dogsbody. This game gives you the power of choice at certain parts. It's a shame it doesn't give you the choice to say "find it yourself, you're just sitting there at your desk while I've got nazi slaughtering I could be getting on with."

Although I didn't mind looking for Max's toys because he is full retard. But a ring? They want me to search for a woman's lost ring in a Wolfenstein game? Not cool.

There's no point in boasting that their campaign is longer than the average FPS when the reason is this.

Despite that, I still liked the game as a whole.

All the above is fair comment but it sounds like you're coming up to the section where you spend all your time being a dogsbody. This game gives you the power of choice at certain parts. It's a shame it doesn't give you the choice to say "find it yourself, you're just sitting there at your desk while I've got nazi slaughtering I could be getting on with."

Although I didn't mind looking for Max's toys because he is full retard. But a ring? They want me to search for a woman's lost ring in a Wolfenstein game? Not cool.

There's no point in boasting that their campaign is longer than the average FPS when the reason is this.

Despite that, I still liked the game as a whole.

I think the spoilered quests you mention are optional quests. They're just to to get more collectibles. I think you can progress the game to the next chapter without completing them...

Opening 25 minutes using an i5 3570K 8Gb Ram Vfx HD 7970 - Running game using Ultra settings at 1080p. The game was very unstable at first but after a few tweaks seems much better now. The game is very nice looking and has some great shooting moments thus far although I get the concerns over the AI. That said, I'm probably too happy blasting enemies in the face or sneaking from behind to give it too much thought at the moment. It certainly has an old school shooter vibe that's kind of refreshing due to its simplicity.

I have to say I'm enjoying this immensely, as a reasonably casual, I.e. tactics light, FPS with an interesting story (so far anyway) and some decent presentation (on Xbox one). I seems an ages once there was an uncomplicated, gimmick free shooter like this and the whole thing feels slick and engaging unlike other contemporary titles such as Dead Rising and Thief.

The problem with that was repeating artwork was a cost-and-time saving thing, and Rage not doing it meant it took six years to come out.

So now you've got the worst of both worlds, repeating artwork and lower quality texturework.

id Tech 5 took so long because they had to make it fit onto a machine with less than 256MB of VRAM and less than 256MB of system RAM and also get the idea working on poxy DVD, it would have been done earlier if the primary target hardware wasn't so shit and 60fps wasn't a requirement. Nothing to do with the artwork, MegaTextures were designed as an enabling tool for the art team.

And we're done.

Was really disappointed with the moon section, no cut scenes or build up about getting there, and essentially it was just another corridor trawl, the token moon outdoor section was pathetic. The scope for some amazing anti grav boss battles was massive, and a totally wasted opportunity.

The whole game felt sparse and under populated and I think having npc's fighting alongside you like in Halo CE would have made the world of difference.

Its no Homefront, but it's so Singularity either which was so much better on all fronts.

I thought it was pretty clear that by mentioning artwork separately from textures that I was referring to meshes.

What does that have to do with MegaTextures? id Tech 6 would have expanded the virtualisation idea to the polygons.

seems an ages once there was an uncomplicated, gimmick free shooter like this and the whole thing feels slick and engaging unlike other contemporary titles such as Dead Rising and Thief.

Vocal agreement over here and not having some fucking XP symbol pop up every five seconds feels like bliss.

Oh, and the first time I unmounted the MG46 and murdered EVERY NAZI in the room was a bit sexual, tbh.