Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Arcade Machine Project - Advice

I'm hoping to build/modify an arcade cabinet into a MAME arcade machine.

I've looked into building the cabinet and while I've got no worries with power tools, I can see this part being a stumbling block. Not to mention, I'd need to not only buy the materials but also the power tools themselves (which aren't cheap in this neck of the woods). I had the idea to buy a flat pack arcade kit, build it up and then populate it with all the stuff I'd need as and when I had the money to do it. I found a really nice one in the UK, and they'll even punch out all the holes for a controls etc. The only issue is that shipping was incredibly expensive. The flat pack was about $400AU but shipping it here was another $600!.

I mentioned I was looking for a cab/flatpack on the Aussie Arcade forum but a few people reckoned buying a second hand JAMMA cab, and gutting it, would be better in the long run. Would this be an easier option or would I be trying to make a square peg fit a round hole?

This would be a long term project, as I'd be buying equipment as and when I had the money. So buying a second hand one and upgrading parts seems like an easier and cheaper option than just buying everything brand new, but I'd avoid it if this is going to be more trouble in the long run.

Any kind of advice would be more than welcome.

I wouldn't personally go for the flatpacks, they aren't too cheap if I remember and the results aren't great for the work put in.

Get something like a naomi universal and then you can leave it stock (vga input, JVSPAC -> PC), and easily plug a PC in.

You can pick up a Naomi Universal for about £300 or so, or pick up a clean woody for <£200 and JPAC it.

Get something like a naomi universal and then you can leave it stock (vga input, JVSPAC -> PC), and easily plug a PC in.

I would be interested in knowing a bit more about this - might do it myself; I have a spare PC sitting in my spare room.

Jvspac is about 30 quid I think, just pick up a cheap jvs only Naomi universal and you're away.

Where do you get those sorts of things? I idly tapped "Naomi Universal" into eBay and got nothing.

Building a cab is fun, although I did regret building a full cab. Really need to get rid as its clogging up space in my shed :-/

Whereabouts are you? :)

Building a cab is fun, although I did regret building a full cab. Really need to get rid as its clogging up space in my shed :-/

Yeah, i know the feeling. I'm trying to get rid of my Naomi sitdown (with netboot system) to make room for a kids playpen.

I need a bigger house (or less kids).