rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
ravnaz

FarCry: Blood Dragon

You 'level up' your abilities, but it happens automatically. I think you start with all the abilities you had at the end of Far Cry as well. No hunting either, or at least not any crafting.

It's odd that Edge liked the script and noted it as a 'terrific pastiche'.

Rock Paper Shotgun absolutely hated it, saying that it is so terrible that it is actually just terrible, doing the rest of the game's awesome 80s send ups a disservice in the process: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/30/wot-i-think-far-cry-3-blood-dragon/#more-151227

Edge is spot on. I hate them but the story and comedy should be praised. As should the direction it takes. But nothing has been improved over the faults of far cry 3.

EG review

Blood Dragon wears its idiocy like a shield. With its mechanisms borrowed from a bona fide blockbuster and its cornball retro swagger rendering any artistic criticism surplus to requirements, all that's left is to have fun, and that's in plentiful supply. Blood Dragon condenses all the best bits of Far Cry 3, sprinkles them with cheesy nonsense and blazes its way through to a finale that will leave you grinning like a loon.

I still don't really know what Blood Dragon is, or how it relates to Far Cry 3, but more to the point: I don't care. If only more blockbusters had this much fun with their legacy.

I was under the impression Far Cry 3 was very highly rated.

It's a good game, there's no doubt about it. But it suffers from silly things. Like the enemies that just rush you. If you stand by a doorway slashing your knife they run in one by one and just fall to the floor dead. There's also the fact that this is an open world games filled with warnings about leaving mission areas, that's just not acceptable and it's not been addressed in Blood Dragon. I was also a little disappointed with the blood dragons themselves. You soon realise that they're no where near as scary as you first think and because of that the completely lose their appeal.

That's not to say this is a bad game int he slightest. It's a half decent shooter with one of the funniest campaigns i've ever had the pleasure to play. It's just a shame that it's literally a reskin with none of the issues looked at, that's all.

These 9s are just a bit odd.

It was a great game. A damn sight better than Bioshock : The Emperor's New Clothes that's for sure.

Well. Erm. Not in my opinion.

What great news! I got new graphics card in march and it came with the never settle promotion - I got Tomb Raider and Bioshock free with the card.

I've just got an email to say I'm getting blood dragon for free too! Ace :D

If anyone else got the initial promotion, read your email today :)

Far Cry 3 was ok, but it had ridiculous problems like psychic enemies, broken stealth, a pointless cash and bag upgrade system and just felt very padded out. Comparing it to Bioshock Infinite is a bit daft.

How much of FC3 was left when you got to the south part of the island? I put about 20 hours into it, did a load of the side stuff and it burned me out so I never continued.

To make this post relevant to this thread I might pick this up anyway, if it's shorter and has bonkers, neon soaked idiocy on its side (and a soundtrack by Powerglove as someone just told me) then I'm sold.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not played it yet but love the Terminator influenced soundtrack. If anyone bought the greenman version, it's in a zip in the download install location, somewhere in appdata. Not sure if it gets extracted elsewhere during installation.

• Upvote 1

Far Cry 3 was ok, but it had ridiculous problems like psychic enemies, broken stealth, a pointless cash and bag upgrade system and just felt very padded out. Comparing it to Bioshock Infinite is a bit daft.

How much of FC3 was left when you got to the south part of the island? I put about 20 hours into it, did a load of the side stuff and it burned me out so I never continued.

To make this post relevant to this thread I might pick this up anyway, if it's shorter and has bonkers, neon soaked idiocy on its side (and a soundtrack by Powerglove as someone just told me) then I'm sold.

Its not a direct comparison and so it isn't a daft thing to say. I just greatly preferred Far Cry to Bioshock. As such its a perfectly valid thing for me to say that Far Cry was a lot better in my opinion.

Its not a direct comparison and so it isn't a daft thing to say. I just greatly preferred Far Cry to Bioshock. As such its a perfectly valid thing for me to say that Far Cry was a lot better in my opinion.

It was a great game. A damn sight better than Bioshock : The Emperor's New Clothes that's for sure.

This is what makes it sound daft. You didn't say you preferred it, you said it was better, with a really pithy snide change of the title to go with it. It's only valid when you offer your opinions as opinions, not facts.

Since when did Far Cry 3 have either broken stealth or psychic enemies? And all upgrade systems are a bit daft, if you think about it. FC3 is no better or worse in that regard.

The cash system was fairly pointless though, so you didn't get everything wrong!

• Upvote 2

Yeah, surely it has the least broken stealth of any FPS. And the AI was (purposefully) pretty dumb in that they were all a bit blind and took a couple of seconds to register your presence if you were anything more than 5 metres away.

• Upvote 2

I cant see it on the xbox itself, only xbox.com.

Restarted, yes its in XBLA just not the search. Also offering me no trial. Is this because there were no trials in the 80s.