Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.

Keyboard Koala

It really is too slow to get going, but I trust it will pick up quickly.

I love the look of the game, the characters don't look polygonal but also not like sprites. More like drawings with depth dropped into a 3D world. It is pretty cool.

Quite a bit baffled from how down some reviews are turning out. Not so much with the scores as much with the text itself. I've seen quite a few reviewers more or less dump on the visual style and compare this unfavourably to BiS. Whereas if anything this is quite frankly a much better and more polished game.

I mean, it does take way too much time to get going. But when it does, it absolutely kooks. The music in this is also on a whole 'nother level of awesome. Especially the boss battle themes.

I thought BIS was slightly overrated if anything. Still a wonderful game though! And hey, reviewers got Paper Mario Sticker Star wrong too.

Only played a small bit of this but it's lovely so far. I wasn't sure about the visuals at first but fell in love when I saw them moving - the animation is ace :D

Quite a bit baffled from how down some reviews are turning out. Not so much with the scores as much with the text itself. I've seen quite a few reviewers more or less dump on the visual style and compare this unfavourably to BiS. Whereas if anything this is quite frankly a much better and more polished game.

I mean, it does take way too much time to get going. But when it does, it absolutely kooks. The music in this is also on a whole 'nother level of awesome. Especially the boss battle themes.

The slow early stages would be more of a problem if the game was around 15 hours long, but it's over twice that length. And yep, Yoko Shimomura's score is superb - I'm finding the Dream Battle music in particular is constantly rattling around my head.

I've played about an hour so far and I'm having a lot of fun. The visuals are mostly pretty great and remind me of Paper Mario in some ways.

I got kind of bored with Bowser's Inside Story and only finished it last month in preparation for this (despite buying it at release), but I loved Partners in Time.

I've played about an hour so far and I'm having a lot of fun. The visuals are mostly pretty great and remind me of Paper Mario in some ways.

I got kind of bored with Bowser's Inside Story and only finished it last month in preparation for this (despite buying it at release), but I loved Partners in Time.

Aye, the sprite work's tremendous, and the 3D's used smartly, too. I'm surprised at the reviews that have said how poor it looks.

The Dutch translation superbly done BTW. Lot's of Dutch idioms, proverbs and slang being used along with wonderfull accents giving some life to the characters. Never thought I'd read the word 'Koekenbakkers' in a Mario game. :lol:

Speaking of which, one of the 'deaths' in the game is pretty hilarious.

EDIT: Just got to the part where you're going after

the soul of the dreamstone. What a little cunt! Love his bastard little taunts. Makes him sound like one of the 'Muk.

This is an excellent game, but looking at this thread, it doesnt appear that popular. Its a shame because it has fantastic mechanics and is an awful lot of fun to play.

*cough* http://www.edge-online.com/news/uk-charts-mario-luigi-in-at-three-as-the-last-of-us-retains-number-one-spot/

In my personal experience, it's all Animal Crossing's fault. All my other games are put on hold for the better part of a year.

It's on my list, but the 3DS backlog is immense at the moment. Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter are both massive time sinks, so much so that I've purposely left my MH3U save on the Wii. Street pass encounters keep giving me reasons to play the excellent new Streetpass games, go back to the completely ignored and completely sublime Mario Tennis, I've yet to complete the 2nd play through of SM3DL, and yet to pick up Castlevania, Sticker Star and NSMB2 and after finally completing Kid Icarus, have to go back as I'm frankly ashamed of the low difficulty I had it on. I think this game will be a slow-burner sales wise but sell well regardless.

The videos look wonderful and the previous games have been great. Kind of gutted I don't have enough time to play it.

I'd say there have been ond bad gamd in both series with Sticker Star (Super Paper Mario isn't really an RPG) being the weak link in that series and Partners in Time the low point for M&L. I haven't played enough of Dream Team Bros to judge it yet.

I'd say there have been ond bad gamd in both series with Sticker Star (Super Paper Mario isn't really an RPG) being the weak link in that series and Partners in Time the low point for M&L. I haven't played enough of Dream Team Bros to judge it yet.

Super Paper Mario on the Wii wasn't too hot either. You reckon Sticker Star was even worse? Haven't played that yet.

Sticker Star is the weakest of the series, the original N64 game I still think the best in the series and the bloated but still excellent Thousand Year Door is second. Super Paper Mario is really a platform game so can't really be compared to the others in the series.

I'd play every other single Mario game on the 3DS before I'd play NSMB2. Whereas most Mario games have a level of sheen and polish to them, NSMB2 fails on almost every single level. Boggles the mind you can have Dream Team Bros. having such a wonderfull and excellent score only to turn around and the hear the cringe inducing *bahbah's* of NSMB2.

I'd say there has been one bad game in both series with Sticker Star (Super Paper Mario isn't really an RPG) being the weak link in that series and Partners in Time the low point for M&L. I haven't played enough of Dream Team Bros to judge it yet.

As much as I enjoyed Sticker Star, given the choice between choosing either that or Partners In Time, I would always point to Sticker Star being worse of as a game. PiT doesn't junk incredibly valueable mechanics to create a game that barely resemble's an RPG. "Cluttered" is the worst thing you could call PiT.

• 4 months later...

I'm ditching this now after replying the giant bowser battle 5 times- it's bad enough that the stylus controls aren't great at the best of times to dodge attacks, but I get to the last bit every time, which takes ages, only to have no control whatsoever with the gyroscope controls. Every time I just slide off the top of the platform, even though I'm not tilting it that way, with no way to counteract it. The giant zeekeeper battle was bad enough with the gyro control, but this is just too much. I've never had to give up on a game before, but this is just ludicrous.

Googling the issue shows that that loads of other people have issues with the gyro sensor part in boss fights too. Nice job Nintendo. I'll never see the end of the game now, after investing almost 40 hours in it, but I'm not wasting any more time on it.

It just annoys me that they've only put the mandatory gyro control stuff in the latter boss fights. The gyro works fine for the special attacks, but the two times I've had to use it in the giant boss fights it's been totally random if it works properly.

I've invested so much time in it, but the controls make it practically impossible for me to do it, and after investing over 2 hrs on that boss fight, I'm simply not willing to spend any more time being frustrated. First time I've ever had to give up on a game due to the controls- terrible design decision by Nintendo.

Will be putting this up for sale in the trading folder in the hopes someone else has better luck with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...