rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
vanronk

Cocktail Mame cabinet

Hi All,

Is it possible to play most games normally using a cocktail cabinet? I've shamefully never even played anything on a cocktail, could I play galaga->samurai showdown comfortably, or does it only really suit certain games.

I'm considering a cocktail or one of those bar top MAME cabs. Talking of which, could you fit a mame pc in one of those? Maybe hooking up the components inside without a case?

In regards to fitting a PC into a bartop: For the scope of games that you're playing, you should be laughing with any integrated Mini-ITX solution, depending on how much money you want to spend - Even my Netbook that's going on for about five years gobbles up most emulated 2D games, Third Strike included.

Depending on the size of the bartop, you could probably stretch it to a Micro-ATX solution, which these days is basically chucking in a whole PC at about the same expense. Although to be honest though, Mini-ITX can provide the same things, it's just you play a slight premium to save space. In all, shop around for a bartop, and let the size and budget dictate what sort of hardware you can throw in - If you're after playing anything Galaga to Samurai Shodown, it doesn't really matter!

I have Mame'd a cocktail cab which I got (the game board and PSU were dead).

It was quite easy to get an ATX mobo, PSU and small LCD display in the cab.

I really think they are only suitable for 'simple' 2D stuff.

Perfect for Galaga etc, but I would not want to play 3rd strike on it!!

Personal preference I suppose...

Thanks for the replies. I think maybe bartop is the best bet. Looking at some of the kits online they seem relatively inexpensive. Is it worth just going for a pre built MAME machine? I can do the actual cab and the computer components but the other electronics bits (controllers etc) are a mystery to me.

Typhoon, got any pictures of you cab, would be interested to see! Did you do the electronics parts yourself?

Hi All,

Is it possible to play most games normally using a cocktail cabinet? I've shamefully never even played anything on a cocktail, could I play galaga->samurai showdown comfortably, or does it only really suit certain games.

I'm considering a cocktail or one of those bar top MAME cabs. Talking of which, could you fit a mame pc in one of those? Maybe hooking up the components inside without a case?

I've never liked cocktail cabinets, I could never get used to the odd way you have hold the stick. Left-right shooters are okay for short periods, anything else and I would suggest you try and have a go on one before spending.

I converted a cocktail cab into a MAME system 7 or 8 years ago using a board from a spare PC I had. I left the control panel alone, so with just two buttons it limited the games you could play a bit, but was fine for anything of an appropriate age.

As I recall, I removed the faulty 14" CRT and replaced it with a 15" crt PC monitor that I removed from its casing, and the motherboard was just screwed to the inside of the cab. Lots of exposed wiring inside meant it wasn't the safest but I only shocked myself once.

A bar top kit would be easier.

I saw a few bar tops at the retro gaming event Geek this year. I was quite impressed with them.

They delivered the feel of playing a proper arcade game, while taking up hardly any space.

The kits i've seen on ebay seem pretty pricey though for what you get.