rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
NEG

Blizzard Titan

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

Supposed leak:

http://titanfocus.info/_/news/project-titan-info-leak-esports-jay-wilson-blizzcon-2013-and-more-r65

K, here we go. I've been sitting on this info for more than a week, not only to do my absolute best to verify it, but also because I didn't want to publish the article before or during the April Fools craze. ).gif So let's begin!

Leak Validity
It's always hard to be sure about something like this, but I'm extremely confident about this one. The source is someone with firsthand info that I've personally talked with extensively and has provided solid info (names, photos, detailed description as to how and why he knows what he knows, edit: NOT photos of the game itself) to validate him/her self. There is always the chance that it's someone playing a silly prank, but this one would be a very elaborate one. I'm giving it a 95% chance to be true.

As always, what I'll report here are his/ hers conclusions of what (s)he's seen, so this can always deviate a bit from the truth, but not because of wrong intentions from either of us. Also, please don't draw any definitive conclusions about the game from this. It's a very rough sketch that might not even be entirely accurate. Disclaimers aside, let's get into the juicy stuff!

Game Universe

• It's based on Earth's history, but also includes a high amount of fiction. It will have a "deep history", just as Warcraft and Starcraft.
  • They're intending to include many Warcraft elements into Titan's world. Mostly Easter Eggs, but can also extend to entire characters being ported into the new game, one way or another.
  • When it comes to weapons, we'll have almost everything at our disposal, from magic to guns.
  • Heavy use of Greek, Roman and Viking myths.
  • They've invited some established writers (Richard A. Knaak for example) to help with the storyline.

Game-play

• It's an MMORPG. We'll play from a 3rd person view, but there will also be a first person view during "events". No extra clarification as to the nature of these events could be given.
  • TAB targeting in combat.
  • It will benefit from a completely new game engine.
  • Graphics will be in the established "Blizzard style".
  • Primarily a PC game, but next-gen consoles are still being considered. Probably after launch, as with D3.
  • It's designed with eSports in mind. They will try to grow it into a successful eSport.
  • There will be "clan" housing. No details on player-housing.
  • Last but not least, the game will have an Auction House. Nothing conclusive about a Real-Money Auction House but it is possible. As an extra tidbit, Blizzard was also considering introducing a RMAH into WoW at one point, but apparently not anymore.

Miscellaneous

• Speaking of inside transfers, Jay Wilson is on the Titan team. Please don't go overboard with this. ^^
  • English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish localization now. More will come during beta.
  • They were considering implementing easy in-game recording at one point, unsure of the state of this at the moment.
  • BLIZZCON 2013 - Titan Teaser, details on expansions for all other major franchises (SC2, D3, WoW). There will be other small Titan teasers at the event but nothing major. They don't want to show any game-play until they have a solid date for beta.
  • Speaking of which, current plan is to open Family & Friends testing in Q1 2014.
  • The game has a name already that has been changed multiple times over the course of the development process. Unknown unfortunately. sad.png
  • They're going full-out when it comes to the soundtrack. Each zone will have its own song, and the songs will vary vastly in type, rhythm. We've reported before that Jason Hayes has returned to Blizzard, so this is definitely not surprising.

That's about it. There are no mind blowing statements here, but I think the chances are very high that for the first time since we found out about Project Titan, we have a solid starting platform on which we can base our expectations and speculation.

I'd say theres a good chance more than 80% of that is going to be true and shown at BlizzCon, with stuff about upcoming Blizzard titles being leaked out 6-8months in advance the last few years. (WoW:Cataclysm/MoP's story and feature set, Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm's entire plotline).

Personally I don't trust Blizzard's gameplay standards when it has come to modern WoW and how Diablo III turned out. But the lead developer is nonetheless Jeffrey Kaplan (Tigole), aka, one of the main guys that made WoW's world, dungeon and raid designs great until he moved over to the Titan project in 2009. (The last raid he worked on was Ulduar)

What Jay Wilson's role on the project could be is anyones guess.

So I guess I've ended up hyped regardless!

It could be the best MMO ever.

:omg::omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The game has a name already that has been changed multiple times over the course of the development process. Unknown unfortunately. sad.png

This is the bit that makes me doubt the leak, or at least whether some of it is just speculation based on facts. You'd think he could list a couple of those names and they're perhaps all relatively similar or within the same theme. It obviously won't be called Titan given they didn't trademark the name and Respawn have it now.

I remember reading a few weeks back about how Titan would involve time travel - ah, that's dated April 2nd so that was probably it. I wondered if he'd just run with the idea from a previous leak.

I seem to recall Blizzard hinting that it would be more action based and in all honesty I'd be very surprised if it turned out ot be tab targetting. Even if the setting is different, if the gameplay is that similar to WoW they will be competing with themselves and they definitely won't want to do that. Personally I can only stand one tab targetting MMO at once so if I were still playing WoW I'd no doubt drop my sub to play Titan - unless of course they have some kind of global sub, maybe one speciically tied to battle.net rather than the individual games. Or at least incentive to sub to both at the same time.

Oh, I hadn't seen the established writers part - call me skeptical. Richard A Knaak isn't exactly the best writer around, I can't belive they would't hire someone... better. He's not really any better than Metzen and the current Blizzard writers so it seems odd to hire someone outside of the company when you have equal writers currently in place.

Also, have Blizzard ever unveiled a game without showing gameplay footage at the same time? If they just show a teaser at Blizzcon that would be a first I think.

Weird to see this thread created and the thing breaking ground after so long as just rumours. If this stuff turns out to be accurate its really disappointing that the whole thing isn't either more ambitious or World of Starcraft.

Hmm, they did and I don't think they showed any footage either. It might be that SC2 is a special case though and that would be supported by the announcement taking place in Korea rather than Blizzcon. Or it's just a rubbish theory :D

Either way I would expect to see something at Blizzcon, but I also expect to see a WoW expansion and possibly a Diablo 3 one so it may be a bit too much.

Yeah, even if it ends up as a complete rumor mill its safe to suspect we'll be knowing what it is come BlizzCon this November.

The guessing game is fun till then, but nonetheless certain rumors involving Blizzard have turned out completely right as I've said in the past few years.

If the F&F is due to start early next year I could see them showing some gameplay footage in November, even if it's just a small amount in an area specifically well polished for that event.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3262-Titan-project-reset-delayed-until-2016

Venturebeat broke the news earlier today that Titan has been "reset" and will be delayed until at least 2016. The decision was announced to employees a couple of days ago and sources close to the project gave us more details on the subject:

• Blizzard felt that Titan wasn't going in the right direction and decided to make significant technological and design changes to the game. This happened in the past with Starcraft and Warcraft 3.
  • A smaller dev team will be in charge of redesigning the project and about 60 or 70 developers are being moved to other teams (WoW, Blizzard All-Stars, Diablo 3 expansion, Battle.net)

Blizzard didn't officially comment on the subject yet, hopefully this is a step in the right direction and Titan won't have the same fate as Starcraft: Ghost.

It was probably not 'casual market friendly' enough with Tigole at the helm. Hoho. Wink wink, etc.

It'll be interesting what they do for increased profits in the meantime because the WoW ship, while still very good, won't be making investors happy for much longer with the ever declining subscription numbers.

Edit: To be fair, if Harthstone turns out any good, it could rake in a fair load even from just ex-WoW players like myself. Well, you'd have to love card games too of course.

Edit 2: I also wonder if a smaller team means a less ambitious project overall now.

They're an odd one: they haven't really made all that many games in total and they're in a weird position where they're beholden to no one, not even Activision, and can basically do what they like, when they like. This pattern will continue as long as wow continues to rake in billions every year. 'When it's done' is almost like their company mantra.

Update: A Blizzard representative has provided the following statement to IGN:

"We've always had a highly iterative development process, and the unannounced MMO is no exception. We've come to a point where we need to make some large design and technology changes to the game. We're using this opportunity to shift some of our resources to assist with other projects while the core team adapts our technology and tools to accommodate these new changes. Note that we haven’t announced any dates for the MMO."

Christ, stop fucking around Blizzard. As has been said here, in theory it's all very good giving people so much creative control over things but when the result of almost 2 years of polishing and improving a game is Diablo 3 you know you need to reassess your policy.

I wonder if Titan was actually just a tab targetting MMO and they've decided it needs to be revamped?

I'm certainly less impressed with Blizzard than I used to be. Within the last what, 5 years? We've had World of Warcraft expansions, Starcraft 2 + expansion, and Diablo 3. That's it. Not only that but the single player of HOTS must have been finished long before release date, especially given the end cutscene leaked online a good year before release. I can vaguely understand the need to spend so long balancing HOTS multiplayer, but I don't understand why they can't just release the single player as DLC when it's ready instead of holding it back (surely nobody claims that it took over 2 years to create the HOTS campaign). Expansion costs £30? Make the single player available early for £15, then a multiplayer DLC for £15 when it's ready. Sorted. If you're worried that people will only buy one, let them preorder the multiplayer when buying the campaign at the same time for a slight discount.

I wonder actually if this is an attempt to try and stem the tide of people quititng WoW as they've said recently that they need more content patches (and ones that aren't full of fucking dailies, personal opinion not a quote :D) so perhaps moving some people over means more instances and raids. One can hope.

I do have a few suggestions that I think would benefit WoW and at least the first seems to be popular among most of the playerbase: use your challenge dungeon scaling feature to allow players to scale down to complete older heroics and raids at the appropriate level/gear. Give them a seperate gearset that starts with basic blue dungeon gear and can be permenantly upgraded with drops received while running the scaled versions of the old heroics and raids.

Please give me GC's email so I can send him some Druid suggestions :( I have a decent track record of actually being able to recgonize flaws and make sensible suggestions. I remember being the only person in my 25 man heroic raid team that thought druids needed help and despite getting laughed at, next patch Blizzard either made the changes I thought they would or said they're coming in the near future. For the record, I said that we should be able to cast a seperate version of Barkskin on another target, that tranquility needed a buff (that went down really well, even among the better players all msot people see are numbers) and changing it so the targetting reticle stays when placing mushrooms so you can quickly put 3 down (although it turns out that's not enough, it's still fiddly and annoying). On that note, let mushrooms regrow in the spot they were originally placed. It's balanced by Bloom having a 10 sec CD. I'm not convinced that would ultimately fix mushrooms though, but it's a start.

There is a thread on MMO at the moment asking users what classes they think need a revamp and a fair amount of them are getting votes (even warlocks, lol). I personally think Druids and Rogues are two of the biggest, but that's partly because they're the ones I'm most familiar with. We've had so much ability bloat and homogenization in recent expansions that I think a revamp for most classes would be useful.

I suspect the scaledown is mainly two things. First up they'll have decided to make a big push into consoles. Whatever Titan ends up being I reckon it's going to be a console game primarily so effectively they're restarting dev from scratch to change it to suit the different environmnt.. Then as you say Radish they'll also be wanting to allocate more resources to WoW to try and stem the account losses. They keep promising they want to shift to yearly expansions but never seem to manage it. They can shift staff back to Titan later when it's progressed to the point that it needs it.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like Defiance (Despite its flaws) has had an effect on the decision too. (Hey look. MMOs work on consoles too)

Does Defiance actually work on a console though? :D I recall hearing that the console versions run very poorly. I see your point though, especially given that Sony seem to be putting a lot of effort in to make things as easy as possible for developers so it's easy to imagine Titan on next gen consoles.

Production on Blizzard's next MMO, Project Titan, effectively reset after 70% of the production staff are reassigned. Release delayed until 2016 at the earliest.

Still not enough time to finish my Steam list of games :(

• Upvote 1

Does Defiance actually work on a console though? :D I recall hearing that the console versions run very poorly. I see your point though, especially given that Sony seem to be putting a lot of effort in to make things as easy as possible for developers so it's easy to imagine Titan on next gen consoles.

It's certainly pushing the current gen a little bit too far :)

Still not enough time to finish my Steam list of games :(

I hear ya...my steam pile of shame is currently sitting at around 61 games... :(

Blizzard’s Project Titan has been cancelled

So much for Blizzard’s Titan. The game is no longer in development according to the studio.

Titan started life as an MMO seven years ago, before Blizzard revealed in a financial call to investors a year ago the game would no longer release as an MMO. The team working on it scrapped the original plans and went back to the drawing board, with Activision stating it was being “re-envisioned,” and would likely not be released as a sub-based MMORPG.

Speaking with Polygon, Blizzard co-founder and CEO Mike Morhaime said while the game was never officially announced , the team wanted to create “the most ambitious thing that you could possibly imagine,” but in the end, it “didn’t come together.”

“We didn’t find the fun,” Morhaime told the site. “We didn’t find the passion. We talked about how we put it through a reevaluation period, and actually, what we reevaluated is whether that’s the game we really wanted to be making. The answer is no.”

Blizzard’s SVP of franchise and story development, Chris Metzen, added it was “excruciating” to cancel development.

“The discipline of knowing when to quit is important,” said Metzen. “We were losing perspective and getting lost in the weeds a little. We had to allow ourselves to take that step back and reassess why the hell we were doing that thing in the first place.”

Both Blizzard bosses stated the studio didn’t want to allocate extra resources to a second MMO when it should be focuses on World of Warcraft.

The studio also doesn’t want to identify itself with “a particular genre” and be known theoretically as “an MMORPG company.”

Morhaime said last year Blizzard would be moving Project Titan’s team members over to other titles in the works with which had a more immediate release in sight while the “new direction” was decided upon.

He was unable to discuss details of Project Titan at the time, stating it didn’t have a “projected release date.”

Later that month, Blizzard removed job listings for Project Titan from its career page.

Rumors from earlier in 2013 claimed the game was based on Earth’s history, and delved into historical myths such as those penned by the Greeks, Romans, and Vikings. Time-travel was said to be one of the game mechanics and was rumored be in development for both consoles and PC.

Back in January 2012, a recruiting ad on Blizzard’s website stated the firm was hiring a franchise development producer to “work with major consumer brands to facilitate product placement and licensing within the world of Blizzard Entertainment’s next-gen MMO that enhances the gameplay experience”.

Many speculated such sponsored product placement denoted a real-world setting, while other argued product placement might lessen the cost of player subscriptions.

Hopefully, at some point, Blizzard will be more willing to talk about its now cancelled project.

• Upvote 1

We just couldn't make it casual enough as the project was led by people that actually understood good MMO mechanics and where to go next with the genre without butchering it with modern Blizzard (post 2008) philosophies.

Alternatively:

Everquest 3 took too long to come out so we had no one to copy from this time around. We got bored of sitting around.

Or even:

WoW having killed the MMO genre, it's best if we remained top dog in that genre for as long as it lasts rather then shoot ourselves in the foot.

Will be interesting to hear/see where/which team Jeff Kaplan got moved to. His words on all this would be vital to see.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

I'd be interested to know how much Wildstar's semi-failure influenced this decision. Maybe they'd been aiming for a 'hardcore' MMO and realised nobody actually wants one, even if they think they do.

You mean First Person Shooter of the Week 7,232?

I imagine he means taking the character development, customisation and progression and putting it into a gameplay framework which doesn't involve the characters wildly flailing their weapons while numbers come out of the top of their heads.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That's always been possible - the limitations of MMO combat have always been due to having to support a thousand players, if you're happy to drop the "massively" bit, like Destiny is, then you can do the same sort of stuff as in a 64 player shooter.

Well "always" is a bit of a stretch, but since broadband at least.