IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Broker

Not sure what anyone can say to change your mind, you've played it for 30 mins and feel like writing it off.

It's a great game, fast-paced, good dungeons and lots of 2D Zelda fan service. None of the bloat of previous incarnations, but it's still the Zelda formula with some new ideas. Is that enough?

Well, it's exactly as big/small as you'd expect it to be looking at the map and wandering round for a short time, and just about all the story elements have been stripped out to make it as close to a pure series of dungeons and puzzles as possible - and there are lots of those packed into its relatively small frame. It's just about perfect for a handheld in terms of pacing and structure, but it's not a cut down version, or a padded out one - you don't get the feeling that parts have been excised (like in, for example, WW), or that extra bits have been added to bulk it out. It also has very little, if any, of the recent handholding aspects of big Zeldas, and never presents you with vistas that you can't freely explore which just act as backdrops through which you're channelled in a more or less linear fashion - you can basically work out whatever order you want to do things in, and do it in that order even if it makes the game more difficult (which is what I accidentally did, and was all to the good of the game).

So it's not a sweeping epic type Zelda of the 60 hours variety, but it returns a lot of the feeling of freedom and I thought it the best of the series since WW - but then I liked WW, and if I couldn't have forgiven that title for its missing dungeons and lots of sailing, it'd have been the best since the N64 titles, with an obvious shared heritage with ALttP. I also thought the soundtrack was glorious, and the 3D worked really well in the dungeons (the visual design in general being quite lovely), and, yeah... if you don't find those elements interesting it probably won't get any better. For what it's worth, the first dungeon is not, by a long chalk, the best. But that wall-creeping mechanic and the verticality of some of the dungeon design really tickled me, and if that doesn't grab you then you might not get off on the puzzles as much as I did.

I'm not writing it off, I just feel a bit underwhelmed after all the gushing and asked if it takes a turn for the epic later on. I must say I'm happy I'm stuck at the moment and trying to find out how to progress. I don't think that happened in any Zelda game since Majora's Mask.

Wear those ********** ;)

It took a little while to click with me, but once you gain access to Lorule it just blossoms into an incredibly tightly-designed joy to play. Every single screen is packed with little secrets & things to do & I can easily lose a couple of hours to it just hunting them out. The dungeons are all quite small but they have a tremendous pace to them & the wall-blending mechanic means you really have to consider the space & navigation possibilities from a different angle. Cracking stuff.

Been playing it since Christmas. The DS Zeldas were pretty shit and Skyward Sword was only ok, but this is just wonderful. Built on what seemed like a bunch of terrible ideas - recycled overworld, light plot, item rental - and yet somehow it's probably the best Zelda since the N64. Mostly because they've remembered how to make dungeons you have to actually think about.

Mostly because they've remembered how to make dungeons you have to actually think about.

THIS. Forgot how brain scratchy the puzzles in the dungeons can be - and how unbelievably smart it makes you feel / then unbelievable stupidity because the answer was staring you in the face for ages. I've refuse to let myself look up anything want to make this as Snes as I possibly can.

Been an incredible Xmas to be a gamer this one.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

All initial dungeons done, do I go for the big finish now, or mop up?

I have 90 out of the 100 little shellfish, and am missing the last piece of master ore for that final sword upgrade. Pretty sure there were two chests I missed in dungeons - one right up in the back of the Ice Palace that's taunting me...

And I'm at 18 hearts. So, good enough to finish it off, I guess.

For the shellfish quest, I had forgotten some key Zelda-Fu; I had forgotten you could

charge into trees and pillars to shake the little critters out of hiding. D'oh!

Hnnnnnnngh.

One Mia-thingy left in Hyrule to get. Can I find the little sucker? Can I buggery. I'm probably going to have to hop a couple of rifts and wall-walk half way up a cliff. Again.

Then a few more in Lorule.

Edit: inspiration struck. There's nothing wasted in this game - you spot an apparently empty ledge, or one containing just a rock, on a side quest, you can bet one of the little sods will be holed up on there, later. So Hyrule is cleaned out, time to mop up in Lorule.