IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Broker

It's not a terrible looking game but it seems they are capable of better. I'll wait until I've got it in front on me on my screen to make my mind up. Wired gaming podcast have dispelled my item worries for this, saying that some dungeons can't be accessed or got that far into without certain items.

Much like that new Yoshi's Island, I thought the general perception when it was first shown was that the graphics were all wrong. Possibly on here, certainly by me.

Edit:

There's something going on with Nintendo's artists at the moment. I suppose it's too much to ask them to stick with SNES graphics but Four Swords on Gamecube did a better job of updating the LTTP look than this.

There I am back in April, acting all American in this very thread.

Edited by DC07

Meanwhile, our very own rudderless has been on twitter saying how much he loved the art style.

And he's not American!

That's not entirely true - I was talking about the concept art/assets they've released for it. I don't think the in-game art is ugly, but it's a little bland - it's the use of 3D and the lighting that elevates it.

That's not entirely true - I was talking about the concept art/assets they've released for it. I don't think the in-game art is ugly, but it's a little bland - it's the use of 3D and the lighting that elevates it.

See, I tend to agree. It's definitely not Nintendo's best when it comes to art direction, but really fits the whole nostalgia trip to a tee, imo.

If I was a cynic, I'd say this game is a quick cash grab banking on Nintendophiles' love for all things ALttP. But clearly I'm not, and just want to be sucked into the Hyrule/Dark World Lorule lore one more time. Bring on November 22!

I think lots of 3DS games look terrible in screenshots. SO MANY JAGGIES. They tend to look nicer on an actual 3DS. The visual style of this, as others have said, seems slightly bland and 'safe', but I wouldn't go so far as to say ugly.

I think 'safe' is a good description.

I'd love to see a handheld Zelda title done in the (original) Yoshi's Island crayon style.

I think lots of 3DS games look terrible in screenshots. SO MANY JAGGIES. They tend to look nicer on an actual 3DS. The visual style of this, as others have said, seems slightly bland and 'safe', but I wouldn't go so far as to say ugly.

This. Also, i always like to have the 3d on slightly (most the time i use 3d) because the games look a bit rough in 2d mode - something 2ds owners will have to get used to.

Game Informer have reviewed the game and gave it

10/10

Can not link to the actual review as its only viewable on their digital issue atm, but if feel inclined to buy it online you can here:

Conclusion of the review:

I want to let the experience roll around in my brain for a while before I decide where it ranks among the best entries in the franchise, but I can say with confidence that it should be spoken in the same breath as A Link to the Past. In every way, A Link Between Worlds is exactly what you want out of a Zelda game.