IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Broker

Unless it looks like Killer Instinct, Americans aren't interested. Don't get me wrong I love the aesthetic and design of the new KI but it's that bombast and overly detailed/realistic look which Americans just want cookie cuttered up into everything. Style seems to be a complete mystery to them most times.

Jeremy Parish of USgamer did an article titled 'A Link Between Worlds: Looks Like Crap, Plays Like A Dream'

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-link-between-worlds-looks-like-crap-plays-like-a-dream

There's no getting around the fact that the latest entry in Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series, A Link Between Worlds, is dog-ugly. Its simplistic polygons and lumpy visual design look amateurish at best, downright offensive at worst

Doesn't look bad to me and 3DS games don't look great when their screenshots are blown up for website screenshots.

Unless it looks like Killer Instinct, Americans aren't interested. Don't get me wrong I love the aesthetic and design of the new KI but it's that bombast and overly detailed/realistic look which Americans just want cookie cuttered up into everything. Style seems to be a complete mystery to them most times.

That explains their boxart.

What's it supposed to look like, exactly?

It looks exactly like how I imagined the Ultra 64 game to look like when I first heard about it. When I mean exactly I mean 100% identical.

Anyone disputing the graphics or the art style can get right to fuck.

If it's as good as I'm hoping with tons of LttP fan service slapped on top then this year could end up being one of my favourites for games.

Absolutely!

Everything remotely different from ultra-realismtm and high-res gun sights seems to appall them. And they killed Tingle too :mad:

It looks exactly like how I imagined the Ultra 64 game to look like when I first heard about it. When I mean exactly I mean 100% identical.

Good times...

It looks bloody brilliant. No idea how that can be perceived as dog ugly by anyone and it also looks to have a lot of cool links (wi-fi) to one of the best ever Zeldas, let alone one of the better games ever; LttP.

I have no doubt that it will probably be a bit samey for people that have played all of the other Zeldas and the items and the unlocks will presumably happen in a similar fashion but that's Zelda, it is what it is and if it was different, it wouldn't be a Zelda. Can't wait.

The item rental sounds like an intriguing concept.

http://kotaku.com/impressions-of-the-new-zelda-five-hours-in-1460892483

This is actually my biggest worry right now...

I'm playing Oracle of Ages at the minute and there's a section in there where you lose all your items and have to 'trade' them with a lizard guy so you only have a couple at a time.

I personally found it a massive ball ache to have to constantly return to this guy to swap items in order to pass certain areas

This is actually my biggest worry right now...

I'm playing Oracle of Ages at the minute and there's a section in there where you lose all your items and have to 'trade' them with a lizard guy so you only have a couple at a time.

I personally found it a massive ball ache to have to constantly return to this guy to swap items in order to pass certain areas

You can buy them eventually.

And yet Nintendo (the Japanese?) seem to hate left handers still.. KI Uprising, Liberation Maiden etc. Sorry I couldn't resist!

The game does look great though, looking forward to it. And my musical chest KK!! ;)

How do you explain all joypads since the NES bring left handed, then?

Is that the guitar riff from Lon-Lon ranch? so nostalgic

No, it's from the Kakariko Village theme, so get the fuck out.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this, but I'd agree that graphically it seems pretty rubbish so far. It's missing the crisp sprites and vibrant colours of the original, and doesn't seem to be improved by any of the features of 3D. It's pretty much the worst of both worlds.

Kotaku raved about the 3D...

If you want to, you can play A Link Between Worlds on a Nintendo 2DS or on a 3DS with the 3D turned off. Please don't do that. The game's use of glasses-free stereoscopic 3D is a marvel. The game's world is viewed from an overhead perspective. The 3D effect accentuates the depths and heights of the world. That much I expected. What has surprised me is how well various pop-out effects are being used. For example, when you shoot an arrow into a stone wall, it doesn't ricochet back so much as it also ricochets a bit up, seemingly out of your 3DS screen. It's not distracting. It looks cool.

Hey, it's generalising about Americans time again! Fun for everyone.

Lots of mutterings from 'Americans' that the games art side looks shabby.. :wacko:

I have to say i find the visuals a bit 'hmmm'. It's a bit of a fudge, really. I watched some footage of a Link to the Past earlier and that looks better.

It's colorful and robust like every first party Nintendo title, but it lacks the distinct and truly inspired art direction of something like Wind Waker. It's a little bland. I also don't like how they've literally translated LttP's abstract 2D representation of a magical fairy tale place to 3D. Especially that screen of the isometric perspective makes the world look far more confined and less sprawling than it is in LttP. When playing that in 1991, my mind made the translation to 3D in a completely different, less restricted way.

That Kotaku article mentions some promising stuff and it'll probably be a good game in its own right, but I wish they would've build a completely new world without the self-imposed restrictions.

Everything remotely different from ultra-realismtm and high-res gun sights seems to appall them. And they killed Tingle too :mad:

Yeah this reactionary stuff is fun but then you read the opinion of an actual American gamer as linked a few posts before yours:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-link-between-worlds-looks-like-crap-plays-like-a-dream

I suppose you could pin the blame on the fact that A Link Between Worlds hews so closely to its direct predecessor, A Link to the Past. 1992's definitive Zelda adventure featured a very unusual art style, with a rounded look to its environments that led to oddities like trees that appeared to have been made from injection-molded plastic and rocks that resembled congealed chocolate.

A Link Between Worlds reproduces entire elements of A Link to the Past wholesale, and it attempts to recreate quirky 20-year-old bitmap graphics in polygons. The effect, unfortunately, doesn't quite work, and the whole affair is an eyesore -- especially cutscenes, where the awkward appearance of characters (who come off as refugees from the lowest grade of third-party Dreamcast software) deflates any intended dramatic impact. You can't help but be disappointed by this outcome, as the Zelda games have generally featured fairly attractive graphics.

You'd certainly never know about this legacy by looking at this latest entry, though. Even the DS games, low-resolution as they were, demonstrated a pleasant art style that worked well within that system's constraints. A Link Between Worlds reminds me less of Phantom Hourglass and more of those laughably terrible CDi games that Philips developed (leaving a permanent stain on the franchise's reputation to serve as Nintendo's penance for backing out on their "Play Station" deal with Sony). I many hours into A Link Between Worlds at this point, and throughout the entire adventure I've cringed at the agony being inflicted on my eyes every time I glance at the screen

Weird, huh? He liked the previous art styles but not this one and he's American. Who knew?

Yeah this reactionary stuff is fun but then you read the opinion of an actual American gamer as linked a few posts before yours:

Weird, huh? He liked the previous art styles but not this one and he's American. Who knew?

"Reactionary stuff"? "Not this one and he's American"?

As for my first argument, I'd say that the US is the biggest market when it comes to COD/Battlefield type of games. They're all made over there even. Add to that the well-known fact that the US market didn't really like the cell-shaded look of Wind Waker, and much preferred the more realistic look seen in Twilight Princess.

Another well-known fact is that Nintendo stopped using the character of Tingle because of the lukewarm reception in the US market. Bringing us to the second part of my response.

You could say my answer was caricatural, and a tad overgeneralizing, but hardly reactionary and/or untrue.

Agony??

What a twat.

Meanwhile, our very own rudderless has been on twitter saying how much he loved the art style.

And he's not American!