IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Broker

• 1 month later...

Looks superb. Changing up the way items work to depend on the same recharging magic meter looks like a much better idea. The overworld does look like it's pretty much the same. I thought maybe it would be pretty much new with some areas that draw inspiration from the original but it looks more like the same overworld redone in 3D with some wee sections here and there added to take advantage of the new wall merge stuff. I'm still very excited.

I'm pretty confident it'll be my favourite game on 3DS. Especially if they include some Four Swords style multiplayer.

So I got to play this briefly on Saturday - was at the Manchester Comicon and Nintendo had a big stand with playable Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 (multiplayer only, sadly) and this. I think there might have been Mario Kart 8 there too - I saw a couple of adverts for a competition but couldn't actually spot where the pods were (could have just been the DS version I guess). But yeah - worth checking out if you've got a similar event on nearby.

For Zelda, its just a little demo where you can select either 'Dungeon' or 'Overworld'. I chose 'Overworld' and ran around for a couple of minutes - it seems cool, very reminiscent of the DS Zeldas in terms of movement and camera angles, only with the LTTP art style rather than being cel shaded. I haven't played LTTP recently enough to say whether its the same world layout, unfortunately, but I didn't immediately recognise any of it. Controls are what you'd expect - sword (hold to charge), block, secondary item (a big mallet), etc. There seemed to be a dedicated button for doing the 2D-into-wall-feature - you could just walk up to any of the walls and stick to it, although there wasn't a whole lot of point in the area I was in - you can only go a few meters before being blocked by a rock, but I guess you could use it to sneak past enemies if you fancied.

It totally convinced me to pick up an XL at some point too - hadn't played one before, the screen/game looked lovely.

Competition (Mario Kart 7) was behind the Wonderful 101 wall — next to the Windwaker demo units. Very sweaty in there! My daughter placed 10th then was pushed off — Nintendo Rep then took the DS from her on her second attempt thinking she had finished, which was nice.

Managed to get 5 mins on Zelda too (overworld) — controls felt lovely, and although I can't play with 3D on, the effect was pretty strong on it. The demo was very close to LTTP in terms of layout.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Box art, and some info from E. Aonuma:

Collecting rupees, the currency of the Zelda world, will be very important in this game. You might think that was the case with all the past games too, but I must say that this time it will be more important than ever and you will need to collect a great deal of them.
Shops in the past Zelda games sold things that would run out once you use them like arrows and bombs, items that needed replenishing. They have never sold an item that doesn’t go away after each use like the boomerang or the hookshot.

agrbKPl.jpg

• 1 month later...

Waited over 20 years for this. I've been on a complete blackout since it was announced and just caught wind of the original overworld layout. No more coming back in here until I get my hands on it. :)

This and new Mario on the same day? Oh my...

The new trailer is brilliant. The design of Link reminds me a lot of the early Zelda 64 demo videos. A huge surge of nostalgia seeing the pendants around the master sword and an even bigger flood when that Link to the Past title music played. Oh man. I can absolutely forgive the terrible Lorule pun as this looks so wonderful. Some wonderful distorted Majora's Mask style music in there too; I'd love it if Lorule had some character stories to rival that game though I'm probably expecting too much there.

I just had a flashback to the time I wrote a handwritten guide to Link to the Past on lined A4 paper, drawing and colouring in those pendants with coloured pencils. Probably 18 years ago. Man.