rllmuk
Broker

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

A new top-down Zelda set in the "world" of A Link to the Past will be released in North America in Holiday 2013. While the perspective is the same, it uses the 3D effect of the 3DS to show depth in environments.

Link has a new ability that allows him to turn into paper and move against walls. This game will be out holiday 2013, and it's kind of nuts that it was announced just now, on some totally random Wednesday, instead of E3 or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6oaS9yBGbmU

Nintendo is still mulling over an official North American title for this holiday's new Legend of Zelda game, announced for the 3DS this morning. It shares a world and narrative continuity with A Link to the Past, the SNES adventure that has steeped in adoration since the early '90s. To simply call it "A Link to the Past 2" might invoke extraordinary scrutiny, just as it might trigger appropriate nostalgia.

"There is a '2' in the Japanese title," said Bill Trinen, Director of Product Marketing at Nintendo of America, in an interview with Joystiq. "So, yeah, I think as I described today, it's an all-new game, it is an all-new story." In his new outing, Link has the ability to flatten himself and slide across dungeon walls like a piece of living graffiti.

"From a story perspective there are connections," Trinen said, "so it does fall after A Link to the Past. And it's set in the same world, but introduces that new gameplay mechanic. So, yeah, I guess by that definition ..."

Yup, let's go with sequel. Quick, to the timeline!

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/17/new-3ds-zelda-returns-to-the-world-of-a-link-to-the-past/

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/17/new-3ds-zelda-falls-after-a-link-to-the-past/

timeline.jpg

• Upvote 3

Ill need a new one for animal crossing anyway.

Edit: From the Nintendo Direct thread:

So it appears to share the same overworld as LTTP... interesting.

xocr1cc__large.png

I guess maybe this will be set after Link's Awakening when that Link returns to Hyrule?

I can't help but be disappointed that this will use the exact same Hyrule as in LttP instead of a completely fresh gameworld. The prospect of a new traditional top-down Zelda is absolutely great, but one of the main attractions of the 2D Zelda's is the joy of exploration and the excitement of discovering the map. I know that the dungeons will be new, but that is just one aspect of a great Zelda.

• Upvote 3

I prefer the SNES graphics to the new one...

Yeah, I felt the same about the new Yoshi's Island they showed. Just looked a bit undercooked and lacked a certain spark. Fo' shame.

• Upvote 1

I can't help but be disappointed that this will use the exact same Hyrule as in LttP instead of a completely fresh gameworld.

How do you know this?

For all we know just that tiny bit of the map seen is the same and the rest is entirely different.

Or, WHAT IF, it's a new game but contains the original game as a remake in the new engine/graphics? And it's the original shown in that clip?

They should make it some sort of uber top down zelda sequel;that Hyrule map from Lttp is actually one dungeon and then you go to a minish cap map and inbetween use oracle of seasons and ages to change those maps :P

They should make it some sort of uber top down zelda sequel;that Hyrule map from Lttp is actually one dungeon and then you go to a minish cap map and inbetween use oracle of seasons and ages to change those maps :P

and they should grease it up and let me grind against it.

• Upvote 1

I would also prefer a new gameworld, but if they use parts of the classic world that would be pretty cool. The best thing would be if you start off in the old gameworld during the prologue, than move somewhere else, come back to the classic world after it's all fucked up and then you beat evil and it's all nice and restored or something.

It should have the light and dark world, plus mirror versions of each of them plus future and then past versions of them all. And then a flooded version of them all

• Upvote 1

Man, people are gonna be pissed off when it's revealed that the turning into a picture on the wall thing is instead of the light world/dark world mechanic...

How do you know this?

For all we know just that tiny bit of the map seen is the same and the rest is entirely different.

Or, WHAT IF, it's a new game but contains the original game as a remake in the new engine/graphics? And it's the original shown in that clip?

Isn't that all a bit unlikely? I can't check it right now, but if I'm not mistaken Iwata said that although the overworld will be the same, the dungeons will be brand new. I think it's save to assume that he wouldn't put an emphasis on that when the overworld wasn't exactly the same.

He said it's the same world - as in, it's set in the same Hyrule as LTTP. He didn't say it's the same overworld, as in, it'll have the same map.

why would there be a dark world? That's because of events that happened in LttP. This is taking place after that timeline, in the same Hyrule... but doesn't mean that there should be a dark world...

don't get your hopes up people...

Why wouldn't there be a darkworld? If there's no darkworld then it's not Link to the Past! It's another 2D Zelda. Which I'm also fine with. I don't think they'd suggest it's a sequel to LttP without there being some sort of link to that game, from the past.

• Upvote 1

why would there be a dark world? That's because of events that happened in LttP. This is taking place after that timeline, in the same Hyrule... but doesn't mean that there should be a dark world...

don't get your hopes up people...

but then why call it a link to the past when you don't travel back to the past. it makes no sense.