IGNORED

Castle of Illusion remake (Summer 2013)

Dandy_Sephy

This has now been confirmed by a Playstation Blog listing by a Sega rep.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/04/15/castle-of-illusion-coming-to-psn-this-summer/

Mickey Mouse is returning to star in Castle of Illusion, a fantastical HD reimagining of the classic Sega Genesis game. The game is scheduled to release in summer of 2013. We know that Castle of Illusion has a special place in many gamers’ hearts. Sega studios Australia is putting lots of care into this new 2D/3D game.

Our plan is to deliver a fully reimagined experience that takes advantage of the power of PS3 with all new graphics and new adventures, while at the same time making sure that the game maintains the Disney magic that the original Castle of Illusion captured in 1990.

We have also been working very closely with the director of the original game, who is now at Disney Interactive. We are having a blast working with her to realize many of the elements that were intended for the original game, but couldn’t be achieved until now due to the technical limitations of previous generation consoles. If you have played the original game, you will also see that we have kept intact many of the major iconic elements of the game that helped define this groundbreaking game at the time of its original release.

Look out for our developer interviews and behind the scenes videos to catch the Sega Studios Australia team and members of the original game development team share their experience working on Castle of Illusion.

No word on other platforms, I'd be very surprised if it's not released on 360 at least.

PS3,360,PC confirmed

8642234323_b798055a09_b.jpg

8643335274_710469f542_b.jpg

8643335432_7289967d45_b.jpg

8643335140_7a5244bd16_b.jpg

8642234121_f1e6fb4cf1_b.jpg

Castle of Illusion is one of my most cherished platformers, really excited to see what they've done with this.

Even if it was the same game with revamped visuals and a re-orchestrated soundtrack I'd be excited. Toyland theme!

Hi-res 2D would have been nice, but that'd probably be a lot of work too, and we've got plenty of modern sidescrollers that look awesome in 3D (Mario, Giana, Bionic Commando etc), so I look forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

:omg:

Castle of Illusion was a very special game to me, always brings back great memories. Hope it keeps the original soundtrack - though re-orchestrated. Great news. Love that game. :wub:

Hopefully it does well enough to warrant remakes of Land and World of Illusion too. And Quackshot. Fuck it, just re-make all the old Disney games.

Castle Of Illusion was the game I got packed in with my Mega Drive all them years ago. Loved that game so much, I played it again 3 - 4 years ago and it still holds up surprisingly well. World Of Illusion was great too but Castle... is by far my favourite. I'll definitely be there for this day 1 as long as they don't fuck it up.

Hate to be the party pooper but those screenshots make it look pretty gash. The original was artistic and amazing to look at it actually made me feel like I was playing a cartoon. I look at the screenshots and don't think it captures any of that, just a boring rehash with bland visuals. I hope I'm proven wrong as CoL really deserves a special remake.

Fingers crossed someone remakes Quackshot next!

• 1 month later...

It's odd, some of the animation looks great (the toy soldiers for example) but some of the core stuff, like Mickey's walk cycle just looks lacklustre. A shame. Personally, I still would prefer a HD sprite version, similar to what Capcom did with SFII Hyper Fighting. Castle Of Illusion and Quackshot in style would be amazing.

• 2 months later...

Date and price are now known:

SEGA has announced the remake of Mickey Mouse's adventure, Castle of Illusion, will be available on September 4.

The game can be downloaded on PC, PSN and XBLA for £10 / 1200 MS Points, and pre-ordering the game after August 21 on PSN will net you a dynamic theme and three avatars, along with an emulated version of the Mega Drive original.

IGN

(EDIT: I believe the release date is September 3rd or 4th depending on where you're getting it.)

I'm more convinced:

The little touches on this are really special - the bird flying off from the log. The boss nonchalant in the background, and more importantly just how tight, concise and interesting the level design is. The remixed soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope (of Banjo Kazooie fame) is sounding like a great fit too.

Keep the game short and sweet and this has classic written all over it.