Guacamelee - Colourful "Dia de los muertos" themed Metroidvania (PS3/PSV cross-buy)

Moz

• 2 weeks later...

I see Dr. Wily's Patented Disappearing & Reappearing Blocks have somehow wound up in this game. Luckily the Uppercut makes that doable. I keep forgetting to dodge though. So not used to it. :doh:

• 4 months later...

Yes.

He has a very predictable pattern of attacks when you learn it. And don't get greedy. Bide your time, take your openings, quick, short combos then get out of range and dodge his cycle of attacks. Rinse and repeat. Again, I am utterly shit at games, and have limited patience, but I bested him within a couple of hours.

Stick with it Doc, it's worth it.

I did, and I did it. My main trick was to use really cheap juggling with the headbutt/derpy dash once I'd gotten him briefly into a stun animation. I also double-jumped up high on the side wall and clung there when I needed to wait for stamina to recharge. I switched to the PS3 for this fight, rather than the Vita; I find it a little easier to quickly access R2 on the pad than I do to use R on the Vita. I've found the PS3 fractionally easier to use for some of the harder platformer bits too.

Going back to the main game now to rinse some more powerups before pushing on to the final level. It might not have helped that when I fought Jaguar Javier I had five squares of stamina and three or four health powerups. I may have been underpowered.

• 2 months later...

I've made it as far as Jaguar Javier but I think I'm done with the game. So many cheap attacks and combo breaks. I've almost smashed my Vita a few times. Bah. Am I missing some trick here?

i have given up on it. turns out i have got quite far and seemingly missed a power that allows me to run up walls so now i am absolutely stuck with no possibility of progression.

*deletes*

i have given up on it. turns out i have got quite far and seemingly missed a power that allows me to run up walls so now i am absolutely stuck with no possibility of progression.

*deletes*

Are you sure you need it? I got to a section like that but I didn't need to wall run to do it. I don't think that you are able to skip new abilities as you need them to get out of the area.

Rinsed in this two evenings over the weekend on my Vita, loved it far more than I expected. I didn't find the combat too hard either and I'm usually terrible at these kinds of games, once dodging had been mastered there were very few difficulty spikes - the final boss took maybe 15 minutes of retries but

once you learn that you're invincible when throwing the flames

he went down pretty quickly. Fuck trying to get all the orbs though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm stuck in the Rainy Temple, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

I have unlocked the headbutt and rinsed the lower part of the map and I'm climbing up and have got to a bridge I can't cross. I've appeared on the right of the screen, travelling left, just up from the warp statue. The dimension switch is below the platform and activated the left. It makes no sense. I can't activate it without moving in the wrong direction and falling in the water. What am I doing wrong?

Annnnd that's the tree tops bit done. Still got 5 mask pieces to get but if they're all like that I'm going to cry my eyes out :lol: Still, what a satisfying rush when you finally get it done. Really missed hard platforming.

I spent a couple of hours the other night doing this and it was fantastic. It was hard as fuck and infuriating when I misjudged a jump but the thing was, I knew it was all my fault. It wasn't the game being unfair or the controls fucking up, it was all me, so the feeling of satisfaction when I finally made it was awesome.

I also almost cried when I got up there, spoke to the chicken and he told me

Well done, you're halfway there!

:lol: