Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Now that the initial stupor of what this show turned out to be is over, I don't know where I fall on whether:

Coulson: How's his typing?

MacGuffin: Clumsy. Makes a lot of mistakes.

Coulson: Thick fingers. Maybe heavy-set.

MacGuffin: I forgot how good you are.

is :facepalm: or :lol:

What are they going for? I can sort of laugh with it in a cheese-ball MacGyver sort of way.

Well I certainly :lol: 'd but don't think it was intended. It was the sincerity with which she delivered the line. Amazing!

What happened to them cracking a Nick Fury related joke when Amadore had the eye patch?! Idiots.

Finding this an extremely guilty pleasure at the moment after planning to avoid it. Nowhere near the quality of Arrow but has enough to keep me interested for now. Feel it needs a central protaganist to help focus things so hopefully they work on that now they have set everything up.

I actually quite liked the third and fourth episodes.

I mean it's still cheesy as all hell, and some of the dialogue makes me want to barf, but I normally get very bored with standalone episodes but these ones have been quite entertaining.

I'm kinda seeing a glimmer of hope but they've got a lot of work to do.

I thought that the fourth episode was a big improvement. It's still got a long way to go, but then, I thought Angel took until its third season to stop making me think "I'd rather be watching Buffy than this" and become genuinely very good in its own right. Hopefully Agents of SHIELD will get to that stage a bit quicker than that!

The two scientists are annoying. Nowhere near as entertaining as equivalent characters in other Whedon series, like the Trio in Buffy or Topher from Dollhouse. :(

Devin Faraci suggests that the introduction of a high-tech spy organisation to rival SHIELD might be leading into Captain America: The Winter Soldier...

Series clearly needs a proper antagonist, either 'villain of the season' like Buffy, or an over-arching evil organisation (like Wolfram & Heart, in Angel).

Er, and Angel didn't get good until S3? Bollocks!

Lies. The only season that wasn't good was Season 4.

Fuck Connor.

Needs to tone down the "comedy" moments though, and one of Fitz-Simmons need to go. Non-entities atm, and no need for 2 of them

A little annoyed this week at the Hetro-Panic "Help me". and "using x-ray glasses to perv" thing which was played for laughs, but is uncomfortable (you know it wouldn't have happened the other way round)

The one the other day (US schedule) was all over the place again, but at least it seems to be trying to further the plot toward the overall baddie. Though I wish they would just say it or get to it, has anyone brought up AIM at all, despite them knowing all this stuff is tied to AIM rsearch? At least Hydra did get a mention before. Also, following on from last week, there were a few more scenes that were much darker, despite the campy general feel. One in particular I was suprised at, you'll know it when you see it.

The missus is watching Angel and Buffy now for the first time, alternating between the two by following some guide she found online. They're both really excellent, The ripe demon stuff is a perfect platform to surprise you with a gut punch right to the feels, and the overserious world-in-peril stuff is a perfect position from which to crack lots of snarky jokes and defy convention. That's the problem with Agents of Shield, it follows convention rigidly and is too afraid to poke fun at itself or surprise the viewer with a side-swipe.

I re watched the entirety of Angel and Buffy last year with my wife, who'd never seen them. They hold up really, really wel (except for the 16mm film on Buffy S1&2, anywayl. Spotting a Buffyverse alumni on the production or writing crew of any new show is still a guaranteed way to get my attention.

Yeah, they do hold up really well. I almost think I might prefer Angel overall, I love the Angel/Cordy/Wesley team in the early episodes. But we've yet to get to season 3/4. Watching Pete Campbell do his thing is going to be hilaaaarious, I'm not sure about S4 though. Amy Adams popped up in Buffy last night, I was all "buh?" and then got mildly aroused.

adams_buffy.jpg

Uh-oh, we're in a stealth Buffyverse thread.

The one the other day (US schedule) was all over the place again, but at least it seems to be trying to further the plot toward the overall baddie. Though I wish they would just say it or get to it, has anyone brought up AIM at all, despite them knowing all this stuff is tied to AIM rsearch? At least Hydra did get a mention before. Also, following on from last week, there were a few more scenes that were much darker, despite the campy general feel. One in particular I was suprised at, you'll know it when you see it.

I thought it was somewhat better, still not great but more engaging than the last two.

I've watched the first three. I thought they got progressively better and the reviews of the fourth suggest it's the best of the lot. Worth giving it a while to settle, I think its got a lot of promise. It's chock full of flaws and stuff you could moan about, but it's charming and slightly bonkers.

I think the fifth did a better job of setting up for the future.

More of an "enemy organisation" thing and SHIELD's "goodness" being rather more ambiguous, which is something I saw mentioned was missing earlier up the thread.

I'll normally watch any old shit, but boy am I struggling with this series. I think its fair to say anyone coming into it off the back of the movies is going to be seriously disappointed.

Hacker girl especially fucks me right off. And try as they may to turn her into a super sexy spy, Ming Na out-sexes her completely.

And for the love of god, please stop with the shit jokes.

I've never seen a TV series before with Joss Whedons name attached to it. On this evidence I'll avoid everything he has ever worked on.