Vikings - A History channel original series

• 5 months later...

last season at the end of the month - no visions or Clannard floaty forest videos in the trailer at least but sure they keep all that guff to pad out the episodes with - there is though a Jason & The Argonauts sea monster at one point, which is mildly concerning. 

I'll watch as have got this far but have low expectations

• 4 weeks later...

Season 6B, deary me...

Spoiler

I liked Harald's face turn, the Newfoundland(?) scenery, and the callback to Ragnar's last meeting with Floki in the final scene. I think that's about it. I know I'm not alone in finding Franzen and Berkoff the most charismatic actors in these later seasons, but neither had a central part, so as much as Hirst's writing was increasingly disappointing, that last big batch of casting was always a problem.

Alex Hogh was good, he just suffered under the weight of his plot armour for Hirst's take on Ivar's bonelessness, with Hvitserk and Ubbe revolving around him for too long. And when poor old Ubbe finally broke free for his own adventures, he was saddled with miserable Torvi en route to Four Seasons Iceland. (I'm still grumbling about Hirst getting rid of Bjorn's first girlfriend over a scar! In Viking culture! Helga was absolutely fine.)

I expected at least three betrayals that never came, and then Ingrid becoming the new Auslaug just felt a bit unfinished. Like Game of Thrones, I think this really ended after its fourth season, with missteps piling up in both. I'd like to think Kjetill's whalejump was a wicked sense of humour from Hirst, but I doubt it.

It's been dying on its arse since around the end of season 4. I've only stuck with it through some strange sense of loyalty.  Just seeing it through. I enjoy most episodes but it can be a chore. I have four episodes to go. I'll get there. Unlike the whale.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 21:03, Escape said:

Season 6B, deary me...

Hide contents

I liked Harald's face turn, the Newfoundland(?) scenery, and the callback to Ragnar's last meeting with Floki in the final scene. I think that's about it. I know I'm not alone in finding Franzen and Berkoff the most charismatic actors in these later seasons, but neither had a central part, so as much as Hirst's writing was increasingly disappointing, that last big batch of casting was always a problem.

Alex Hogh was good, he just suffered under the weight of his plot armour for Hirst's take on Ivar's bonelessness, with Hvitserk and Ubbe revolving around him for too long. And when poor old Ubbe finally broke free for his own adventures, he was saddled with miserable Torvi en route to Four Seasons Iceland. (I'm still grumbling about Hirst getting rid of Bjorn's first girlfriend over a scar! In Viking culture! Helga was absolutely fine.)

I expected at least three betrayals that never came, and then Ingrid becoming the new Auslaug just felt a bit unfinished. Like Game of Thrones, I think this really ended after its fourth season, with missteps piling up in both. I'd like to think Kjetill's whalejump was a wicked sense of humour from Hirst, but I doubt it.

I couldn't really disagree more with you to be fair! These last few episodes have been great and I'll definitely miss the show. Overall it's had it's ups and downs, the first couple of seasons being the best imo.

Finished it. Def had it's ups and downs. I found the final encounter a little unlikely, shades of Star Trek (2009) there.

But overall I enjoyed it and will miss it despite the decline in quality. 

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to finishing this tonight, I think 6B was much better than 6A which I found so boring.

Spoiler

That's not to say 6B didn't have it's dull moments, but it also had stuff I really liked. Was a big fan of Bjorns final moments, and the final few fights with the English were great. 

I think Kattegat being left in the hands of a Ingrid was basically showing the start of the end of the Vikings. All the famous, battlehardened Vikings and Shieldmaidens from there are gone or dead and the place is now run by a witch who lied and tricked her way onto the thrown.

As most have said, the first 4 season are excellent, compelling and exciting and then it got a little tiresome but I'm glad I saw it through, it's been an enjoyable show.

I feel it's had its up and downs too but I've been a loyal watcher and enjoyed it. It was very well acted and filmed all the way through. I never got he sense the catering van was just off to the side or the camera was on a little railway or anything like that, like you sometimes do.  I really missed it for a few days after the end. You become pretty absorbed in a place and a group of people and it's quite tough to think you won't go back there. 

1 hour ago, Rebs said:

I feel it's had its up and downs too but I've been a loyal watcher and enjoyed it. It was very well acted and filmed all the way through. I never got he sense the catering van was just off to the side or the camera was on a little railway or anything like that, like you sometimes do.  I really missed it for a few days after the end. You become pretty absorbed in a place and a group of people and it's quite tough to think you won't go back there. 

Ah but you will go back there at least in a fashion.

The spin off 'Vikings Valhalla' debuts on Netflix later this year & will be returning to Kattegat 100 years after the events of Vikings.